Marathon Weekend 2018

After a race at Disney whatever the distance, what to you do? Do you go back and relax at the resorts for a bit? Do you hit the parks? Something else?

For 5K's & 10K', I go back to the room and freshen up and head to Captain Cook's at the Poly for some Tonga Toast. For the longer races, its back to the room for a long shower before heading out to the park of the day.

I booked my flight for Wednesday out of DTW, arriving in MCO at 1pm. I'm on Delta (FF miles), and my feeling is that if there are weather issues, then 1) there are multiple flights on the day--something is bound to work and 2) the airlines are pretty good on weather waivers. If things were really bad, it should be possible to go out earlier or the day before.

I'll be flying out of GRR and there are also multiple flights that day, so I'm hoping everything works out. Due to family stuff & work, it's going to be hard for me to leave earlier than Wednesday. Just another thing for me to fret about!

Happy Sunday everyone!

We are getting ever closer to that 6 month mark. 191 days until the weekend begins!

As always Sundays are for Disney,

After a race at Disney whatever the distance, what to you do? Do you go back and relax at the resorts for a bit? Do you hit the parks? Something else?

My answer: Well, I go back shower and hit the parks right away. No matter the distance that's how I've approached post race every time so far. Once in the parks I'm probably looking for something to eat though.

I've only done one Disney marathon (2016) and after we showered and ate, we just hung around the pool & boardwalk area, eating & drinking some more, then dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse. I'm not sure what our plans are for Dopey yet, still trying to get 4 women to agree. o_O

My first two disney races were night races (Tower of Terror and Wine and Dine) so those were a little different. This year's Star Wars Dark Side half was my first morning race at Disney. I went back to the hotel afterward to shower and then we had a decadent brunch at California Grill. We napped and went to the pool after that and then went to Disney Springs in the evening.

Usually we go get cleaned up and get some food and then hit the parks. For this year though we are going to take an easier approach after the half and full. So, we will hit the parks after the 5K and 10K, but plan after the half is a leisurely morning breakfast and then some time at Disney Springs. For the full it will be a easy rest day with a celebratory dinner at Victoria & Alberts (assuming I can get an ADR).

Newbie, signed up for the 5k and 10k and planning what we will do after the races....
So buses from AKL-Kidani to the expo?? Then catch a bus to a resort near a park after the expo.....

Just confirming buses...

Thanks

Newbie, signed up for the 5k and 10k and planning what we will do after the races....
So buses from AKL-Kidani to the expo?? Then catch a bus to a resort near a park after the expo.....

Just confirming buses...

Thanks
Not sure if Kidani has a bus. You might have to go to Jambo house to catch the bus. All resorts though have an expo bus.

Just confirming buses...

Thanks

Not sure if Kidani has a bus. You might have to go to Jambo house to catch the bus. All resorts though have an expo bus.

Kidani has an expo bus and race transportation bus for all 4 races (doesn't share with Jambo for race morning to the races but does on trip home). You can certainly board the Kidani bus to the expo, shop/packet pickup, and then board a different bus (like Contemporary for Magic Kingdom) to hit up the parks. One thing I do in this case is bring a backpack. This makes it easier to carry purchases and the packet pickup stuff through the parks.

In your opinion do you have to be in shape to be in shape to take part I know it's to late to sign up for 2018 but it might be fun to look into 2019

In your opinion do you have to be in shape to be in shape to take part I know it's to late to sign up for 2018 but it might be fun to look into 2019
It depends on what you mean by in shape. For a 5K it's more laced and you can walk the whole thing without any troubles. For any of the bigger races you have to maintain that 16 minute mile or you will be taken off the course.

Shower and hit the parks after the short races. Ice bath & beer, shower, and parks after the long ones.

Speaking of which, as ADRs approach keep in mind the DIS meet up on Friday (presumably at 2pm at Hurricane Hannah's again but @FFigawi can confirm). We'll also have meet ups before each of the races over the weekend and I'll be at the finish line for quite some time as I wait for my mom to complete each of the Dopey legs.

I'm sure @Keels and I will be hosting the Friday rehydration gathering again. Fluids and carbs are both very important for endurance athletes.

I would encourage you to try! Start now and start slowly. Look up the Couch to 5k program--a lot of people have begun their journey with this. Explore the Galloway method (run/walk)--he seems to have become the "official training program" of Disney races. And ask us questions.

Good luck!

I would encourage you to try! Star now and start slowly. Look up the Couch to 5k program--a lot of people have begun their journey with this. Explore the Galloway method (run/walk)--he seems to have become the "official training program" of Disney races. And ask us questions.

Good luck!

Thank you

It's the first day of Galloway Dopey Training!

https://www.rundisney.com/training/running/

...aaaand I've already botched it. :scared: I assumed (you know what they say about THAT) that the weekday runs would be 30 minutes, like the marathon training. Well, Dopey demands 45 minutes, so I had the choice of running 30 minutes, or being 15 minutes late for work. Oh, well. :teeth:

41e0104f6dd5a29dad713bd6495ecd868c00129de1272421e167ead9f6e42959.jpg

...aaaand I've already botched it. :scared: I assumed (you know what they say about THAT) that the weekday runs would be 30 minutes, like the marathon training. Well, Dopey demands 45 minutes, so I had the choice of running 30 minutes, or being 15 minutes late for work. Oh, well. :teeth:

I'm guessing you were late to work?

Happy Sunday everyone!

We are getting ever closer to that 6 month mark. 191 days until the weekend begins!

As always Sundays are for Disney,

With 3 kids, a dog, a wife and a side mowing business, I'm pretty much guaranteed to be on my feet and doing something after any run. That prepared me pretty well for the 2017 marathon, which went something like...finish line, eating, bus back to pop, shower, back to Epcot, monorail to TTC, walk to ohana, eat and then walk/ride back to Epcot, where I stayed until after Illuminations. A few adult beverages aided in that whole process.

I am so stealing this picture lol..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter