Marathon Weekend 2018

Thank you for the advice on my race retreat stress @PrincessV! You are totally right, there is no guarantee the weather will be bad (and I'm from Canada for goodness sake, so I should just bring some throwaway clothing and toughen up :) .

Hi Everyone, I haven't been to disboards in a while, but thought I would checkin since we are getting close. I decided to do the Disney Marathon about a year ago. I have since lost about 40 lbs and have stuck to the training schedule. I ran a local half marathon in September and finished with about a 11:30 pace. I was happy with that. I have struggled with the long runs once they got to be 15 miles plus. I have finished all of them, but at the end, I keep thinking "the marathon is 8 more miles than this" (18 miles is the most I have done so far). I have read that the actual marathon will be easier since I will have tapered off for 3 weeks. I hope that's right...lol Has anyone else struggled with long runs?
I have found that 16 miles is my "sweet spot". By that I mean that 16 miles or less is relatively easy for me, and anything beyond that requires work. I have also found that, much as @DopeyBadger said up-thread, those really long runs become just as easy as my shorter long runs if I slow down just a little bit more.

Also, if you are doing run/walk intervals, do not think about the distances at all during your run. Only run one interval at a time. The miles will melt away faster than you can believe if you stop thinking about them. If you are not doing run/walk intervals, run only one mile at a time. Same philosophy - same result. Running 26.2 miles can become mentally draining. Running 1 mile is easy.

Today’s question: what are you most excited for during Marathon Weekend?

Completing my wife's first marathon with her! My son, his wife, and my daughter are also all trying to complete their first marathon but not sure who's going to be pacing with who... just know my wife and I are staying together for sure. Just hoping everyone has a chance to get to the start feeling okay... there's been some injury issues with my wife, d-in-l, and son during training so I'm worried about them getting through the marathon. My daughter has had no injury issues, but that is because she has slacked on her training. So that could be even more of a problem. :sad2:

Whatever happens, it's going to be a great time with 6 of us staying for the first time at Kidani Village. We don't arrive until Friday and are spending a week there after the marathon. There should be plenty of space there in case our room needs to turn into a rehab facility. :crutches:

To help mentally get through my long 19 miler run yesterday after a crappy long run of 18 a few weeks ago I pictured where on the course I would be at Disney since the map just came out, it was kind of fun thinking ooh TTC then MK oh good ol' bear island road wonder who might be out to meet, etc.... & kept my mind on something else other than I'm going to be out here for hours.

I am excited to run the Marathon and enjoy it. This past January was a blur. Hoping to get to ride EE and grab a margarita in Mexico.

Looking forward to meeting everyone at DATW! I am kind of doing this trip solo as well. My daughter and I will be doing the 5K together but then she flies back home / school on the Saturday. Would be nice to celebrate our accomplishments with like-minded people like you Dis-ers!

To help mentally get through my long 19 miler run yesterday after a crappy long run of 18 a few weeks ago I pictured where on the course I would be at Disney since the map just came out, it was kind of fun thinking ooh TTC then MK oh good ol' bear island road wonder who might be out to meet, etc.... & kept my mind on something else other than I'm going to be out here for hours.
I do this! I'd love for runDisney to put out a gps app where you can kind of be told where you would be in a race you choose, with theme music playing from each part etc. "Entering Magic Kingdom" then play Main St. music. "Entering Tomorrowland" etc. I know there is a lot of highway running in many races but just generic Disney music would work there.

Most looking forward to:

Running through the parks. While yes, other Disney Races offer this, only the Marathon goes through all 4 and that's an experience nothing like anywhere else in the world.

I'm also looking forward to playing golf the day after the race. I may not be able to swing a club, but I enjoy the courses on site.

@DopeyBadger I have a question you may know the answer to, but anyone else is welcome to chime in.

How quickly should I be able to get back to my resort after the 5K? We have a breakfast reservation earlier than I would have wanted, so we will be rushing. My wife and I should be starting in a mid/late corral but not the last. We can each run the 5k in 26-28 mins. We are staying at SSR and plan to use the Minnie Van service to get us where we we need to go.

Looking back at my Garmin info from 2015 when we last ran Dopey, it says we started at 6:24 AM. That can't be right.

@DopeyBadger I have a question you may know the answer to, but anyone else is welcome to chime in.

How quickly should I be able to get back to my resort after the 5K? We have a breakfast reservation earlier than I would have wanted, so we will be rushing. My wife and I should be starting in a mid/late corral but not the last. We can each run the 5k in 26-28 mins. We are staying at SSR and plan to use the Minnie Van service to get us where we we need to go.

Looking back at my Garmin info from 2015 when we last ran Dopey, it says we started at 6:24 AM. That can't be right.
The 5Ks start at 5:30 this year. In the past they started at 6:00AM. Minnie vans don’t start until 6:30 I believe.

Speaking of spectators for races. These are the following milestones I have for each of the races. I will use these milestones, a runner's projected start time, and their projected pace to estimate when a runner will arrive at a milestone. If you don't see a milestone for a particular race listed that you or family plan to stand at, please let me know. It's an easy add on my end.

View attachment 288035

View attachment 288036

HM
View attachment 288037

M
View attachment 288038

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a spreadsheet for this! :teacher: But this helps tremendously!!! This was the next thing I was adding to my ETAs.

I'm trying to work out where my support team should be to catch me!:teleport:

1. Seeing friends I only get to see at rD events! ♥
2. All four races going off as planned (fingers crossed) so I can get my one-and-done official Dopey done!
3. Some much-needed time to relax, read, watch TV, visit parks, and not be a responsible adult. ;)

Hi Everyone, I haven't been to disboards in a while, but thought I would checkin since we are getting close. I decided to do the Disney Marathon about a year ago. I have since lost about 40 lbs and have stuck to the training schedule. I ran a local half marathon in September and finished with about a 11:30 pace. I was happy with that. I have struggled with the long runs once they got to be 15 miles plus. I have finished all of them, but at the end, I keep thinking "the marathon is 8 more miles than this" (18 miles is the most I have done so far). I have read that the actual marathon will be easier since I will have tapered off for 3 weeks. I hope that's right...lol Has anyone else struggled with long runs?
I totally get this! This is my third year in a row training for a marathon ("just" the 10K and full in 2016, Dopey 2017 and 2018) and nothing has changed since that first year: all runs past 13 miles have felt HARD. But last year and the year before, I felt super strong and more than ready come marathon day and genuinely didn't notice the extra mileage!

I'm most excited to immerse myself in the magical atmosphere of WDW and the races plus the feeling of accomplishment when I cross that finish line!

Speaking of spectators for races. These are the following milestones I have for each of the races....................
View attachment 288036

@DopeyBadger ...just curious for the 10k viewing...will spectators be able to go INTO EPCOT that early? She has an AP and signed up for the ChEAR Squad. Specifically for 3.5 [Enter EPCOT] then maybe 5.9 [Spaceship Earth].

So many things to be excited about!!
Experiencing my second rD event, running my first marathon, seeing my BRF after a year, visiting Pandora with DH for the first time, and meeting dis-ers! Speaking of meetups, can someone remind me when the schedule Dis meetup is? My Friday night flight got changed by Delta to a Friday afternoon flight, so I have that evening free now :dogdance: (plan to spend it in MK, but I thought I remembered that was the night for a meet-up and would love to pop in for a bit!)

I would pre-buy memory maker. Its cheaper when you buy in advance anyways. That way you can get all of your race photos and then anything you do in the parks.

What is the price difference between buying now and buying later? And can you view your photos before you buy the whole thing?

I haven't run Disney since 2013, and it was Marathon Foto (?) back then - I think I was able to see all the photos, determine that they were decent shots of me, and then purchase. Can I do the same thing with memory maker?

Add me to All-Star Sports!

What is the price difference between buying now and buying later? And can you view your photos before you buy the whole thing?

I haven't run Disney since 2013, and it was Marathon Foto (?) back then - I think I was able to see all the photos, determine that they were decent shots of me, and then purchase. Can I do the same thing with memory maker?

Add me to All-Star Sports!
I believe it’s $169 when you buy in advance or $199 after. You can view your photos before you buy as well.

I am most excited to see my almost three year old's reaction to her first Disney World visit. She has been obsessed with Mickey and Minnie Mouse this past year an a half. Running through the parks will also be a blast.

As other mentioned, I also tell myself where I am during training runs. Last long run, 23 miles, on Friday and then its taper time. Really hoping the ice/snow melts off the roads by then because it will make it a long trendmill or run around small indoor track....

Does anyone have a lightweight to mid-weight wind/rain shell running jacket that you can recommend? I'm trying to plan ahead for all possible weather conditions.

I've googled and shopped ... seems many are water resistant but not waterproof, and if they're waterproof they're not breathable. I don't even know if waterproof is possible in a breathable, running jacket? Or what would be best. And reading online reviews sent me down a rabbit hole of negativity and confusion.

So at this point I'd love your recommendations if you have any! :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter