Marathon Weekend 2020

Not feeling very thankful today. 7 mile easy taper run and my hamstring grabs at 5.5 miles. Scrambling to get into a dry needling session before Thanksgiving while working around an unexpected board of health audit at work that’s already cancelled my vacation days Monday and Tuesday. Space Coast is looming next Sunday. So many emotions right now. #snakebit. >:(:crutches::sad::sad2:

Sorry to hear about your struggles.

Not feeling very thankful today. 7 mile easy taper run and my hamstring grabs at 5.5 miles. Scrambling to get into a dry needling session before Thanksgiving while working around an unexpected board of health audit at work that’s already cancelled my vacation days Monday and Tuesday. Space Coast is looming next Sunday. So many emotions right now. #snakebit. >:(:crutches::sad::sad2:

Hope you're able to rest up and be ready for race day. Space Coast is a great race and right in my backyard. Too bad we weren't able to get back there this year or else I'd buy you a beer at the Village Idiot after the finish. Will have to make up for it at marathon weekend. :)

hang in there. Hope you can get that session in.

This year I have a special place for @DopeyBadger as am super grateful for his awesome training plan and his extra work to keep me running and uninjured. He put together a special plan when I decided I needed to do a Rim2Rim hike across the Grand Canyon - mid Goofy training- after rightly questioned my sanity. Thank you!

do you have a post somewhere on your hike? I am right now planning a Rim2Rim2Rim hike in 2021. Hoping to stay at phantom ranch, but will camp if I have too. BTW I do think you are crazy for doing that during goofy training. Friends asked me to join them in Rim2Rim but it was 3 weeks before my Chicago Marathon (I was looking for a BQ) told them no way.

I’m so sorry! I hope you heal quickly.

Hope you're able to rest up and be ready for race day. Space Coast is a great race and right in my backyard. Too bad we weren't able to get back there this year or else I'd buy you a beer at the Village Idiot after the finish. Will have to make up for it at marathon weekend. :)

Space Coast is a great race with a great medal and post race breakfast. Our first in 2010 we had dinner under the Saturn V the night before the race and in 2011 at registration we watched the Mars Curiosity Rover launch atop the Atlas V rocket at 10:02 a.m.

I spent some time during my long run this weekend contemplating what we think will be the new marathon course...

Can we talk restrooms? For those accustomed to waiting until MK to use a real restroom, you'll be waiting a few more miles than previously. For those of us who've historically employed a one-stop strategy with a restroom stop at the halfway point, which conveniently lined up with multiple options in AK, we're now stuck choosing between stopping earlier in MK and potentially having to go to a two-stop strategy if that's too early, trying to wait until AK around mile 16, or standing in what's likely to be a line for porta-potties near mile 13 on Floridian Way. For those on a two-stop strategy, do we think there will be an open restroom or two in BB, or do we need to plan on waiting for DHS? The mind boggles.

How about the opening miles? Judging by the first couple miles in the old course, and starting in the giant corrals toward the back, I've not seen much thinning of the crowd until we could spread out on World Dr. But now we'll be heading into EP without much time to thin out first. Patience will need to be exercised, I suspect.

Finally, it occurred to me as I was in the middle of my second pass across a tall bridge to train for the overpasses on the course that I don't really need to do this anymore! After the gradual incline up onto World Dr. in the beginning, there won't be any long climbs until we go over World Dr. on Buena Vista before heading into DHS. This is going to be one flat course.

SAFD: So thankful for runDisney that allows me to merge two of my biggest passions: being active and Disney! There is just nothing like that feeling of being surrounded by thousands of other people just as crazy as you are! :crazy:

I'm thankful for a mostly healthy body that allows me to move and run. And for a husband that supports me through the long runs, the races, and the runDisney weekends!

I'm thankful for the artistry and creativity of those that make the Disney movies that have shaped me into who I am. And I'm thankful for the artistry and creativity of those that are able to bring that same magic and wonder to a theme park.

Of course, I'm thankful for Walt who started it all.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

@camaker Hoping that you get past your difficulties asap. Injuries suck.

SAFD:
- Thankful that 7 weeks post spinal fracture, I was able to pick up my training and usual run/bike/yoga routine with minimal difficulty.
- So very thankful that I have runDisney races to do with my wife together. We both love the time away from everything to do something we both enjoy.
- Thankful for still having the spark of optimism, curiosity and wonder that Disney has nurtured over the years.
- Thankful for all the contirutions of the people here. They run the gamut of useful to tears running down my face funny.

I spent some time during my long run this weekend contemplating what we think will be the new marathon course...

Can we talk restrooms? For those accustomed to waiting until MK to use a real restroom, you'll be waiting a few more miles than previously. For those of us who've historically employed a one-stop strategy with a restroom stop at the halfway point, which conveniently lined up with multiple options in AK, we're now stuck choosing between stopping earlier in MK and potentially having to go to a two-stop strategy if that's too early, trying to wait until AK around mile 16, or standing in what's likely to be a line for porta-potties near mile 13 on Floridian Way. For those on a two-stop strategy, do we think there will be an open restroom or two in BB, or do we need to plan on waiting for DHS? The mind boggles.

How about the opening miles? Judging by the first couple miles in the old course, and starting in the giant corrals toward the back, I've not seen much thinning of the crowd until we could spread out on World Dr. But now we'll be heading into EP without much time to thin out first. Patience will need to be exercised, I suspect.

Finally, it occurred to me as I was in the middle of my second pass across a tall bridge to train for the overpasses on the course that I don't really need to do this anymore! After the gradual incline up onto World Dr. in the beginning, there won't be any long climbs until we go over World Dr. on Buena Vista before heading into DHS. This is going to be one flat course.

A couple thoughts:
There will be real restrooms at the TTC and at Epcot before MK
I would guess the BB restrooms would be open.
I am looking forward to the flat course.

SAFD: I'm thankful that RunDisney has given both myself and a core group of friends a common hobby. As someone with a spouse who's mobility is become increasingly limited, it sometimes seems like my world is shrinking. Running gives me a chance to meet with friends at 6 am to spend an hour or two together a week. It provides a little bit of normalcy without taking away precious time from my family.

SAFD:

- Thankful I finally seem to finally have a neurology office whose actually listening to me and my problems. Took long enough.
- Thankful I stuck to my guns and flew out Saturday. Back home is about to be wholloped by a snow storm tomorrow. Both of my colleges called class for tomorrow before 2 pm today. They usually call it smack dab in the middle of the night.
- Thankful I found a new trainer (not that my old one was bad we just never considered this when I was with him) who put me down the path to get a Boston bib. I never in a million years this time last year would have thought my NYC Marathon time would be my ticket to one of the most prestigious races ou there.
- Thankful that while some things are in the wind because of the on again off again balance problem my migraines are finally back under control. Thank god for Botox.

SAFD:

Very thankful for finding RunDisney for my daughter when she was just starting her running journey in middle school. Each time she upped her mileage she used a RunDisney race as motivation. SUPER grateful for all the other runners along the RunDisney courses that offer her words of encouragement. She's older now but when she was younger there would magically be a runner that would giver a boost right when she needed it most.

As non running parent of a runner I am grateful for the information found on this board that I can share with my dd.

I am grateful that this trip will be happening and that we get to travel with some friends while also have time for just us after marathon weekend is over.

Thankful for my family's good health and happiness. Couldn't ask for more.
I am also thankful to all the people showing off their dopey medals Jan 2019. That's when I knew I needed to earn one. Without their inspiration I would still be a couch potato. I lost 35 pounds, will finish dopey in January and late next year I'll be finishing my first Ironman.

I have a feeling the opening miles will be more crowded than people are used to. When they ran the old course, there were two different starts which took different routes through Epcot before joining together once outside the park around mile 4. Unless they do this again, funneling all 20-25000 people through Epcot will cause crowding, slowing, and frustration for the runners.

The only incline looks to be the underpass before getting to Magic Kingdom, and even that is quite short.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter