• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2020

I mean, without Splash Mountain, this trip is meaningless. I am taking a completely nihilistic approach to the entire trip. I can be anywhere, at any time, to drown my sorrows.

JK?
I was just gauging some interest based on hosting the Wine and Dine meet up with @jennamfeo. @Keels doesn't do the boards much at all these days and I don't think wants to be "the host". So I was just checking things out since there was nothing "official" yet on a meet up.

I was just gauging some interest based on hosting the Wine and Dine meet up with @jennamfeo. @Keels doesn't do the boards much at all these days and I don't think wants to be "the host". So I was just checking things out since there was nothing "official" yet on a meet up.

I volunteer to co-host a Friday afternoon HH meet-up, as well as be the landmark for the morning meet-ups Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I'm easy to find in a crowd.

DH and I are up for a meet up!

No kids running this year, so no pressure to maximize park time. (Even though our daughters are 29 and 31, I can still call them kids, right?)

Gauging some interest on a marathon weekend meetup. Keep at Hurricane Hannahs or move somewhere else? If moving elsewhere where? Disney Springs? Somewhere near MK? Obviously probably best to keep out of a park and/or best to make it a more central location. Just throwing out some ideas. More than happy to keep it as is.

I like HH because it’s an easy walk out from and back into Epcot through the IG.

Gauging some interest on a marathon weekend meetup. Keep at Hurricane Hannahs or move somewhere else? If moving elsewhere where? Disney Springs? Somewhere near MK? Obviously probably best to keep out of a park and/or best to make it a more central location. Just throwing out some ideas. More than happy to keep it as is.
Oups, I got our FoP FastPasses for Friday 2:30PM... I guess that means I am out for that one, sorry.

SAFD:
I am thankful that my family and I are healthy and present for each other.
In running words, I am thankful that my body allows me to run such distances and recuperates. I am thankful to have such a team of supporters.

I am thankful to runDisney for giving me the motivation to increase my distance.

I am thankful to the running community for sharing their knowledge and their experiences both positive and negative, especially here on the DisBoards with a lot of lightness and fun.

I'm interested, but our flight doesn't get in until 11:30 on Friday and then we'll have to hit the expo, but I suppose it's possible we might be able to work it in.

I have HH on my calendar for 2 pm on Friday. But, I am fine meeting wherever you choose. And since I’m not running the half... I’ll be enjoying a tasty margarita! 🍹🍸🥂 (Why is there no margarita on the rocks emoji?)

I have one of "those questions". But first. The background.
Ran NYC at the start of November, training to pick back up again in December due to work travel and vacation.

While on said vacation (which is still ongoing), manage to go boogie boarding for the first time in my life ever and....catch a wave poorly,smash my face into the sand and break multiple bones in my face. Yay. Spent yesterday in the ER...the result is that I'll have To have surgery but I can't even get in to see a surgeon at home until next week. Surgery will, at the earliest be next week and at the latest be the following week. From what I can tell on the intrawebs, full activities can resume 3-4 weeks post surgery.

Do I: say screw it and just walk both races (I submitted a POT of 2:16-ish for the half, so I think I have margin to the balloon ladies) or see if RD is willing to defer which I totally realize they are not likely to do.

This isn't my first WDW full or goofy challenge...not that it matters.

🤦‍♀️

I have one of "those questions". But first. The background.
Ran NYC at the start of November, training to pick back up again in December due to work travel and vacation.

While on said vacation (which is still ongoing), manage to go boogie boarding for the first time in my life ever and....catch a wave poorly,smash my face into the sand and break multiple bones in my face. Yay. Spent yesterday in the ER...the result is that I'll have To have surgery but I can't even get in to see a surgeon at home until next week. Surgery will, at the earliest be next week and at the latest be the following week. From what I can tell on the intrawebs, full activities can resume 3-4 weeks post surgery.

Do I: say screw it and just walk both races (I submitted a POT of 2:16-ish for the half, so I think I have margin to the balloon ladies) or see if RD is willing to defer which I totally realize they are not likely to do.

This isn't my first WDW full or goofy challenge...not that it matters.

🤦‍♀️

I say in choosing what to do, do what will make you happiest with the experience. So if that means walking the races, character photos, drinks, and rides will make you happy with the experience, then do that. If having to defer to the next year (if allowed) will make you happier because the experience will be different, then do that.

As for whether you will be physically capable, I'd say it's definitely doable. A 2:16 POT is likely Corral D which means an estimated buffer of 35-45 min for the HM and 25-35 minutes for the marathon on the balloon ladies (we'll have a better guess when the bib #s come out). I'll use the low end for both:

HM - 35 min extra over 13.11 miles is 2:40 min/mile extra. So 16+2:40 = 18:40 min/mile walking pace minimum average.
M - 25 min extra over 26.22 miles is 57 sec/mile extra. So 16+57 sec = 16:57 min/mile walking pace minimum average.

Let's assume worst case scenario on recovery:

12/2 - See Dr.
12/9 - Surgery
12/16 - Recovery
12/23 - Recovery
12/30 - Recovery
1/6 - Race Week

So with this time window there's little time to actually resume training. So one of the first questions I'd ask the surgery team/Dr. is how much walking you would be allowed to do post-surgery and when you could start. Maybe 3-4 weeks off running, but what about a casual walking pace? If the casual walking pace is allowed, then I'd start that up as soon as you feel good and as soon as is allowed by the team.

As for where your fitness would be, we can use the Daniels Loss of Fitness calculation to get a rough idea. It's for VO2max so it is not perfect, but it's a reasonable estimate.

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 9.09.59 AM.png

The calculation says if you were in 2:16 HM shape entering NYC and you did:

-Some training after NYC and were allowed to start walk training 1 week after surgery then fitness would be 2:22:00 HM estimate.
-Some training after NYC and not allowed to start walk after surgery then fitness would be 2:33:00 HM estimate.
-No training since NYC then fitness would be 2:42:30 HM estimate.

In all of these cases, the estimates show that is feasible for you to be able to complete the races. Walking definitely uses the muscles differently, so the more walking you can get in before the Disney races the better.

Hope that helps and everything works out ok with the surgery!

I say in choosing what to do, do what will make you happiest with the experience. So if that means walking the races, character photos, drinks, and rides will make you happy with the experience, then do that. If having to defer to the next year (if allowed) will make you happier because the experience will be different, then do that.

As for whether you will be physically capable, I'd say it's definitely doable. A 2:16 POT is likely Corral D which means an estimated buffer of 35-45 min for the HM and 25-35 minutes for the marathon on the balloon ladies (we'll have a better guess when the bib #s come out). I'll use the low end for both:

HM - 35 min extra over 13.11 miles is 2:40 min/mile extra. So 16+2:40 = 18:40 min/mile walking pace minimum average.
M - 25 min extra over 26.22 miles is 57 sec/mile extra. So 16+57 sec = 16:57 min/mile walking pace minimum average.

Let's assume worst case scenario on recovery:

12/2 - See Dr.
12/9 - Surgery
12/16 - Recovery
12/23 - Recovery
12/30 - Recovery
1/6 - Race Week

So with this time window there's little time to actually resume training. So one of the first questions I'd ask the surgery team/Dr. is how much walking you would be allowed to do post-surgery and when you could start. Maybe 3-4 weeks off running, but what about a casual walking pace? If the casual walking pace is allowed, then I'd start that up as soon as you feel good and as soon as is allowed by the team.

As for where your fitness would be, we can use the Daniels Loss of Fitness calculation to get a rough idea. It's for VO2max so it is not perfect, but it's a reasonable estimate.

View attachment 455131

The calculation says if you were in 2:16 HM shape entering NYC and you did:

-Some training after NYC and were allowed to start walk training 1 week after surgery then fitness would be 2:22:00 HM estimate.
-Some training after NYC and not allowed to start walk after surgery then fitness would be 2:33:00 HM estimate.
-No training since NYC then fitness would be 2:42:30 HM estimate.

In all of these cases, the estimates show that is feasible for you to be able to complete the races. Walking definitely uses the muscles differently, so the more walking you can get in before the Disney races the better.

Hope that helps and everything works out ok with the surgery!
That is excellent advice! @ashejen, I hope it all works out the way you want it to go, but I don’t think you’ll get any better advice than what @DopeyBadger just gave you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter