Marathon Weekend 2020

It was great to finally meet you, Keith. Thanks for joining in the festivities.

I haven’t learned much in my relatively brief running career, but I have learned to avoid terms like “last” or “never.” Don’t count yourself out just yet.
Thanks for making me feel so welcome. For a few years now I've wanted to do something different during my WDW trips so it's not repeating the same thing every year. Sampling the different foods that struck me at Epcot was great and hanging out with such fun people was even better.

No sickness here! I’m not surprised at how many of y’all got sick. There were postings on social media from people who had the flu, or colds but were going attempt running their races anyway 🤬
Oddly, I woke up a couple of hours before the early marathon alarm, drenched in sweat and freezing (thinking, great, now, I’ve sweated out all my electrolytes right before running a marathon). I didn’t have any more trouble until Tuesday, when I woke up with a little cough, but felt fine. We went to Epcot, where I’m sure I spread it around (I’m so sorry!). By the end of the day, I was clearly sick, and DH got it a day or two later. DS and GF left Monday afternoon, and thankfully, didn’t get it. The ones of us who got it, sure got it bad, though. I haven’t been this sick in years!

I saw this posted elsewhere earlier today. Reading it was just strange. Especially the fake Strava runs he would manually put in.
Not that this is the case for him, but before I had a footpod, if I did a treadmill run I would either (1) use my watch and then edit the run to match what the treadmill said or (2) just do a manual entry with the treadmill info. Problem with this is that some treadmills are not calibrated or are old enough that they are no longer calibrated. My old treadmill was badly off and would say I was running faster than I actually was.
So... there is a very small chance that his entries were badly calibrated treadmill runs...

ETA: I’m not trying to really defend him, but I don’t really like how MI really highlights him saying that he was in an Elite corral. I think there are people out there that wouldn’t realize that there is a separate ‘Elite’ corral and might call the A corral an elite corral because that is where the faster runners go. I probably would have thought this a few years ago.
Now I also don’t think his two splits make it look like it was really possible for him to significantly improve his pace over the remaining 16 miles.

Not really that new for a Disney event, unfortunately, especially given the course. I saw numerous people during the marathon who clearly skipped the first 4+ miles through Epcot. I'm not going to name names, but the official results even show someone hitting the 5-mile split in under 8 minutes! 🙄 Sure . . .
I remember seeing the mile 5 marker shortly after starting the race and being in shock that mile 1 was so close and then having to remind myself to not be depressed when I realized it was mile 5.

Random tidbit here - but I ran by Gerald from the RezRuns YouTube channel at the beginning of the marathon and gave him a shout-out (love his videos!). Anyways - I was looking to see if he had posted anything about the marathon yet, and ended up watching some of the 2019 half marathon and who do I see??? @rteetz at around the 20 minute mark! Dis celebrity sighting.

Random tidbit here - but I ran by Gerald from the RezRuns YouTube channel at the beginning of the marathon and gave him a shout-out (love his videos!). Anyways - I was looking to see if he had posted anything about the marathon yet, and ended up watching some of the 2019 half marathon and who do I see??? @rteetz at around the 20 minute mark! Dis celebrity sighting.
Yep I made a cameo in that one!

I passed him (Gerald not @rteetz) in the half and full and made sure to say Hi. I appreciated him sharing so much about his foot injury and recovery leading up to MW 2020. Then when I got injured and had to back off training 8 weeks before the race, I appreciated him even more! He seems like a nice guy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter