Marathon Weekend 2021

I have a question for the slower runners and walkers:

DW is thinking about entering the 10k with me (we aren't getting to town in time for the 5k) but she is not a runner and we would plan on walking and would probably finish around 1:45-1:50. There's a notice on the runDisney site that a 16:00 pace must be maintained or the participant could get swept up and transported to the finish.

I looked at the results from last year and there were a lot of participants who finished after that cutoff time. I told DW that I don't expect that we would be directed to leave the course, but she's concerned and doesn't want to just take the word of her DH.

So if we would finish a bit slower than the cutoff for the 10k, should we just skip it or go ahead and register since there are so many others who are also in that category?

Thanks!

The previous response covered everything very well. Just going to add that my mom (over 60) has walked the 10K for the last 5 years from the last corral. She finishes in ~1:40-1:45, doesn't stop for pictures or anything outside of the restroom when necessary. She has never been swept or really appeared to be all that close to being swept.

It has always been apparent to me that Disney is very accommodating to all runners in their races as long as they are making reasonable progress to the finish. It is no guarantee but runDisney is in the business of people having a good time and finishing their races (although we certainly all have our gripes about some of their decisions8-)).

I suppose my SAFD would be one particular WDW memory out of many.
December 31st, 1999. Dawn of 2000.
Me, my girlfriend, and her son were staying at Old Key West in a room I believe I managed to acquire from that relatively new online presence, ebay.
We spent the morning in the room watching the Y2K fireworks on TV from Australia. The Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House lit in Disneyesque fashion.
We got ready and proceeded to the bus stop.
The bus was empty. Evidently the WISE Disney vets had known to get to the park early. Duh?
The driver told us that the vehicle lines to enter the parks were at a standstill. It was around 9 AM, yet there was talk that the parks were CLOSED to any additional guests. Wut? We MAY NOT BE ALLOWED ENTRY?!
My girlfriend was VERY nervous that we wouldn't be allowed in (and would likely kill me. 💀 Like why is it just MY fault?)
Admittedly, I was panicked but I NEVER showed it. I was calm and cool on the outside but on the inside I was devastated that we may not be allowed in Epcot for the Millennium Celebration.
Yes, we were guests at a Disney property but we didn't have tickets yet. DOH! I suck! :oops:
We made it to the Epcot entrance and were allowed entry. WHEW!!! I was SO relieved. 8-)
Plan B may have been drinking into a coma at Hurricane Hannas and waking up on an IV drip January 2nd.
Once we were allowed in it was OK to park hop without worry. This was good because we had this special Passport that had to be stamped by the end of the year to receive a Disney World pin collection. We still needed MGM Studios (Yes) Stamp so we meandered over there in the afternoon.
It was Y2K hysteria throughout the world so Disney had portable generators and lighting all over the place.
That fizzled out big time but the fear had already been instilled.
We had a fantastic day. We didn't ride many things, the Malestrom, ToT, Spaceship Earth, and a few other favorites but the atmosphere sold it all. This was the end of the 20th Century and we felt fine.
We drank a bit, ahem, and watched the Millennial Celebration near Mexico. (If only Cava Tequila had been around.then!)
Afterwards, around 1 or 2 AM, the Epcot bus depot was a madhouse. Total chaos! It looked like hours before we could get back.
No Uber or Lyft people, though I should have come up with the idea right then and there!
Anyway I said we should try and walk to another resort and get a bus. Hmmm... 🤔
During the walk around Epcot I found a wad of cash, I believe it was $186. Bizarre. :thumbsup2
We all looked around in the grass for more. Tired as could be but not a bad way to start 2000.
We eventually made it to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort and the wonderful people there gave us a ride to OKW at 3 AM.

A memory I will never forget.
Second place would likely be my first ever marathon in 2007, at WDW of course.

Does anyone know if they have Monorail service for the 10K race?
I thinks for the 5k it’s bus service to the race.
i know they can always change their minds - especially with new COVID restrictions.
Thanks

How quickly has the 5 and 10k sold out in the past?

I may be doing the 5k with some friends but one person in our group aren't ap holders

How quickly has the 5 and 10k sold out in the past?

I may be doing the 5k with some friends but one person in our group aren't ap holders

More than likely those two races will sell out very quickly. Last year the 5k was gone in about 15 minutes and the 10k filled about 5-10 minutes later.

More than likely those two races will sell out very quickly. Last year the 5k was gone in about 15 minutes and the 10k filled about 5-10 minutes later.

Was that on the general sale date or the pre sale? I'm guessing I'm trying to figure out if the person who isn't an ap and has to wait til the general sale date has a chance of signing up

Oh crud..i just realized I don't think I'll be able to register tomorrow. Technically my pass expired 2 weeks ago. But with all the closures obviously didn't renew yet since the pass would be extended when they reopen.

Was that on the general sale date or the pre sale? I'm guessing I'm trying to figure out if the person who isn't an ap and has to wait til the general sale date has a chance of signing up

Presale is only a percentage of the available slots - even if presale sells out, there will be spaces available for general registration. But general sells out pretty fast, so be ready to register right when it opens.

Presale is only a percentage of the available slots - even if presale sells out, there will be spaces available for general registration. But general sells out pretty fast, so be ready to register right when it opens.

I will add that even if presale and the general registration sells out before they can process your credit card, there is still a chance...but you need to watch the Run Disney site obsessively. Last year Dopey and Goofy were slow to sell out, so they began to break them up and make more 5k and 10k registrations available. I think there are also a few through travel agent packages.

That was the general sale date. I think presales for 5k and 10k also went very quickly; but I’m not 100% sure.

Quick questions for newbie:
Register tomorrow via DVC

Can I do 5 peeps even not on my DVC room resie? SIL is also DVC and has her own reside but I thought it best that one of us register for the 5 of us.

Do we have to have ticketing to register?

Thanks!

Quick questions for newbie:
Register tomorrow via DVC

Can I do 5 peeps even not on my DVC room resie? SIL is also DVC and has her own reside but I thought it best that one of us register for the 5 of us.

Do we have to have ticketing to register?

Thanks!
Technically the person registering via DVC is only allowed to register those within their household. I have never seen them verify it but just saying that is the official stance.

You do not need tickets to register.

I’ll add to this that if you don’t score a 5k or 10k bib on registration day, keep checking. I signed up for Goofy last year (2020 MW) and then later decided the 10K fit my schedule. I had to check the runDisney site a lot, but I was eventually able to get a 10k bib, probably late summer or early fall.

I’ll add to this that if you don’t score a 5k or 10k bib on registration day, keep checking. I signed up for Goofy last year (2020 MW) and then later decided the 10K fit my schedule. I had to check the runDisney site a lot, but I was eventually able to get a 10k bib, probably late summer or early fall.

Serendipitously setting the stage for an epic adventure that will live forever, Rogue Two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter