Marathon Weekend 2021

Starting to think about rooms and resorts. I can't decide if I should save some $ on the room and go with Pop (really impressed with the skyliner) or save some $ on food (as well as some potential tummy issues) and go for a deluxe villa studio, especially since I really need to relax more and having hot tub and fitness center access would be nice. I was at AKL this past trip...simply because when discounts hit, it was only $12 more total than the room I originally had booked at CBR. I wouldn't mind CBR as a good in the middle option, but I saw a video where someone complained about how long it took the race buses to hit all of the CBR stops before heading to the races. So, that has me thinking that might not be the way to go either. At least these are good dilemmas to have :)

Stayed at CBR this year - therea are four bus stops and we also shared with the Riviera. We got on at Aruba and want to say it was the second stop.

Starting to think about rooms and resorts. I can't decide if I should save some $ on the room and go with Pop (really impressed with the skyliner) or save some $ on food (as well as some potential tummy issues) and go for a deluxe villa studio, especially since I really need to relax more and having hot tub and fitness center access would be nice. I was at AKL this past trip...simply because when discounts hit, it was only $12 more total than the room I originally had booked at CBR. I wouldn't mind CBR as a good in the middle option, but I saw a video where someone complained about how long it took the race buses to hit all of the CBR stops before heading to the races. So, that has me thinking that might not be the way to go either. At least these are good dilemmas to have :)

We stayed at pop and it was great. We may have taken the skyliner to CBR and went in the hot tub there 😉🤷‍♂️

Stayed at CBR this year - therea are four bus stops and we also shared with the Riviera. We got on at Aruba and want to say it was the second stop.
We were the second drop off and then when picking up it depended on how full the bus was. It was Jamaica, Aruba, Riviera, then the rest of CBR but usually they wouldn’t get to them all. CBR was also the Team in Training hotel so lots of runners staying there.

We won't have our calendar for another month or so, but I'm thinking we'll go back on the 4th. I'd love to go back a week later as it would make bringing the kids with us so much easier since they can only miss 5 days of school, but I'm pretty sure with where Christmas and New Years fall we'll be back early on.

We went this year without the kids as they could not miss school, my DD will be coming in 2021 as the school have granted her sports days for running the 5&10k ..she wants to do the half but will only be 12

We went this year without the kids as they could not miss school, my DD will be coming in 2021 as the school have granted her sports days for running the 5&10k ..she wants to do the half but will only be 12

Disney requires runners to be 14 to run their 1/2s...My DD will be doing the MW 1/2 in 21 because W&D would interfere with XC and training for the 1/2 should be reasonable coming off her season. She turns 14 in September.

Still want to stay onsite, but thinking about something with a kitchen so I can avoid some of the tummy issues I had with the 10k.
If it makes you feel better, I had a full kitchen, cooked all but one of my pre-races meals (I was Dopey), and still had GI issues most of the weekend. That is FAR out of the norm for me, so I think something else was going on.

If it makes you feel better, I had a full kitchen, cooked all but one of my pre-races meals (I was Dopey), and still had GI issues most of the weekend. That is FAR out of the norm for me, so I think something else was going on.
Could it have been something you drank?

I have some food sensitivities, so it's a little more common for me. It definitely wasn't a stomach bug, but I'm pretty sure I know what I ate that did it. Disney is excellent with these things, but I wasn't thinking when we stopped by one of the lounges and had the mix that they give out to guests.

I wouldn't mind CBR as a good in the middle option, but I saw a video where someone complained about how long it took the race buses to hit all of the CBR stops before heading to the races.

This is totally dependent on the bus driver. I didn't see the video you mentioned, but I'm quite certain I was on that bus if it was for the half. He was terrible. But the next day for the full, we had completely different experience with an amazing driver that got us there very quickly with only a couple of stops.

This is totally dependent on the bus driver. I didn't see the video you mentioned, but I'm quite certain I was on that bus if it was for the half. He was terrible. But the next day for the full, we had completely different experience with an amazing driver that got us there very quickly with only a couple of stops.

That's good to know, because my parents really like CBR and it's probably the best blend of wants and needs if I can do without a kitchen or kitchenette. In the video, they said it was around 45 min between pick up and race arrival because of all of the stops. It just got me nervous since I had no extra stops with my resort transportation for this last trip.

Based on this data set: Ian Williams: An Updated Race Equivalency Calculator Attempt

If the HM (2:08) and M had similar conditions (weather and course design), then you would have the following probabilities based on the above data set:

6% chance of 4:27 or better
9% chance of 4:29 or better
24% chance of 4:34 or better
50% chance of 4:44 or better

This all assumes that you didn't have a HM that day prior as you will during Goofy. Even an easy and enjoyed HM will have some negative impact to the ability of a max M effort the next day. So presumably these numbers would shift downwards a tad bit more. How much shifting is debatable? I'd venture to guess your actual time wouldn't shift by more than 7-10% because that's typically what I see when I PR attempted the HM before a PM attempted M.

Based on their conclusions from the data set and determining what characteristics defined those who were better converters:

So a good marathon plan is:
-Over 5-5.5 hrs in duration per week on average for 16 weeks.
-Has a 5L% of 9-11%. So if you do 100 miles as 5L (or five 20 milers), then you better be doing 1000 miles in the 16 weeks of training (or 63 miles per week on average). The more you diverge from this, the worse your HM conversion becomes. Although, you can still be successful at a lower 5L like 60 miles if the 5L% is still in the 9-11% range (or 600 miles total and 38 miles per week) as long as that duration is over 5-5.5 hours for your paces.
-Has you training at roughly 40-80 seconds slower on average for the plan than marathon race pace.
I think I got it, so i need a plan to keep my miles up and maybe aim for sub-5 hour PR. I can do that.

I think I got it, so i need a plan to keep my miles up and maybe aim for sub-5 hour PR. I can do that.

I think a sub-5 hr goal is completely reasonable during Goofy assuming the conditions are the same as the HM PR. A plan that is over an average of 5-5.5 hrs minimum, that doesn't overly rely on the long run, and is paced slowly most of the time. And pacing wise, regardless of whatever the goal is on race day, I'd set the paces based on current fitness. So if you were a 2:08 HM runner entering the Goofy training plan aiming for a 4:30M or a 6:00M, I'd still recommend the same pacing scheme. Something like:

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 3.32.23 PM.png

So to hit 40-80 seconds slower than M Tempo on average per week, you're looking at 10:50-11:30 pace.

Last edited:
Disney requires runners to be 14 to run their 1/2s...My DD will be doing the MW 1/2 in 21 because W&D would interfere with XC and training for the 1/2 should be reasonable coming off her season. She turns 14 in September.

Is this written anywhere? Do you, or anyone, know if runDisney is strict about this? Hoping to run the half with my DD next year but she will still be only 13.

Is this written anywhere? Do you, or anyone, know if runDisney is strict about this? Hoping to run the half with my DD next year but she will still be only 13.

This is what’s posted in Race Policies for SWRR. I’m pretty sure it’s the same for all weekends and I’ve not heard of them making an exception. You have to enter a birthday as part of registration, so unless you’re willing to enter a false date, I don’t think it’ll even allow you to register.

616B7C10-4D6C-4E0F-9FD5-8CE27E4FA060.jpeg

I think a sub-5 hr goal is completely reasonable during Goofy assuming the conditions are the same as the HM PR. A plan that is over an average of 5-5.5 hrs minimum, that doesn't overly rely on the long run, and is paced slowly most of the time. And pacing wise, regardless of whatever the goal is on race day, I'd set the paces based on current fitness. So if you were a 2:08 HM runner entering the Goofy training plan aiming for a 4:30M or a 6:00M, I'd still recommend the same pacing scheme. Something like:

View attachment 467891

So to hit 40-80 seconds slower than M Tempo on average per week, you're looking at 10:50-11:30 pace.
THANK YOU!

I'm currently training for my second half marathon, with the same plan you created for me last year. Just trying to keep running and keep my legs strong.

Yup...it's in the race policies for every single one of their 1/2s. I would imagine that they are strict about it as they are strict about everything and it could be a liability if they weren't and something happened. Please note: entering false information for a race is cheating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter