Marathon Weekend 2023

I did Dopey this past Jan and came down solo. My husband stayed home with our two toddlers. The guilt was there from the start of planning all the way to getting on the plane. But once I was there it was so nice to be alone and only have to worry about myself! Can't say I caught up on sleep or that it was relaxing by any means 😂 but I had a really nice time even though I missed my family. My husband was able to fly down for a couple nights after the marathon so we were able to enjoy the parks together then. Doing it again in 2023, same plan! You will have a great time!

SAFD: Dopey #2
1. Finish every race feeling strong. If I could mimic my 2022 experience I'd consider that a win.
2. Reintroduce strength training into my routine.
3. Show up in January fitter, stronger, lighter, and hopefully with no covid anxiety!!
4. Try to get under 5 hours for the marathon without sacrificing having fun and taking pictures.
I have the same goal as you for #4 (I already strength train, otherwise I would say that that's a goal as well - very important!). I wonder what kind of pace one would need to take a picture with every character and still make it under 5 hours. I finished at 5:18 and stopped for 22 pictures. 🤔

I did Dopey this past Jan and came down solo. My husband stayed home with our two toddlers. The guilt was there from the start of planning all the way to getting on the plane. But once I was there it was so nice to be alone and only have to worry about myself! Can't say I caught up on sleep or that it was relaxing by any means 😂 but I had a really nice time even though I missed my family. My husband was able to fly down for a couple nights after the marathon so we were able to enjoy the parks together then. Doing it again in 2023, same plan! You will have a great time!

Thanks for this! Glad it’s not just me!

“The guilt was there from the start of planning all the way to getting on the plane” - YES! This is totally true, I do already feel bad about it! Even though my husband is totally onboard and even helped me get through registration (I ended up using the browser on his phone to actually register - so he sat in the virtual waiting room for 3+ hours just like I did). I need to find a way to get over it because I don’t want to feel guilty for the next 8+ months. 🙄

We are eyeballing a spring break trip with kiddo a few months, which I know will be better than a race weekend for a family trip, so it’s not like we won’t all be there together at some point.

Thanks for this! Glad it’s not just me!

“The guilt was there from the start of planning all the way to getting on the plane” - YES! This is totally true. I need to find a way to get over it because I don’t want to feel guilty for the next 8+ months. 🙄

We are eyeballing a spring break trip with kiddo a few months, which I know will be better than a race weekend for a family trip, so it’s not like we won’t all be there together at some point.
My kids are a bit older than toddlers now (8 & 10) and while they express a bit of sadness that they don't come with me to race weekends, the reality is they wouldn't have much fun. Early mornings and crashing at the hotel by mid-afternoon are not what they are expecting out of a Disney vacation!

My kids are a bit older than toddlers now (8 & 10) and while they express a bit of sadness that they don't come with me to race weekends, the reality is they wouldn't have much fun. Early mornings and crashing at the hotel by mid-afternoon are not what they are expecting out of a Disney vacation!
And mine are older yet - teenagers. I blinked my eyes and they are teenagers! Just wanted to share I have done both family and solo trips for marathon weekend. I liked both for very different reasons. But a solo trip does really allow for focus on the races and your own needs. And that can be glorious. Eat what you want, go to the parks (or not) as you want, and sleep when you want. It is a great time to be totally selfish - in a positive way!

My wife and teens require proof of future trips but totally support solo race weekends. Won’t be solo for MW 2023, but will be for Spring Surprise 2023. So long as I get a registration…

We have gotten a sketch from every trip we've taken to WDW, so I have some tips on this for anyone who is not familiar with them.

Go to Art of Disney EARLY. Like on your first or 2nd day. Look at all of the "in-stock" pictures because different artists definitely have different styles. (Monica Willis is my absolute favorite because she uses a lot more "force" on her colors so they pop a lot more instead of just light shading with the particular color.) They have a big 3 or 4in binder of ALLLLLLLL of the drawings they can do AND there are special "race weekend" drawings they can do as well (I'll come back and add my Goofy pic that is not in the regular fab-5 section as an example) on a page or 2 toward either the very front or very back of the binder. There are a TON of options for framing. I haven't done the big race-medal thing (yet) but we did get some framed sketches there in the past.

You can buy the in-stock sketches if you like one OR you can get a custom sketch done (you pick out the particular sketch, the colors, if you want it personalized, etc.) Art of Animation resort also usually has some sketches in their shop area since they have an artist working there daily. During MW weekend this year they shipped our drawings to us when they were complete since there is such an enormous demand for them.

Sketches fit into an 11x14 frame when they are on their own.

Customized goofy (race weekend specific sketch and I requested the race weekend title and year)

View attachment 664641
As opposed to an in-stock sketch

View attachment 664642
Great minds think alike! I bought prints at the expo for one of my W&D half marathons and for my first Marathon Weekend marathon. I liked that they have the race weekend and date stamped on them.

There used to be a pretty big selection at the expo, but I did not notice it the last few races. For Marathon Weekend, you can also get your ears embroidered with your name (or anything else you want on it) from the Disney Springs Art of Disney.

Sorry for the bad photos; the prints are actually brighter and a bit more colorful than they appear here.

Attachments

• IMG_1793.JPG
    IMG_1793.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1795.JPG
    IMG_1795.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 22
Sounds like you and I live in the same place! :) Last Wednesday through Friday I was out running on the waterway while the Ironman participants were also training. Started to get me thinking, hmmm........
Small world!! I have friends who compete in IM including one who ran her 5th (?) this year and it has never once gotten me thinking. That is a level of training I have zero interest in and the swim scares the crap out of me! I do love going down to the finish chute and soaking in the atmosphere. It is so inspiring watching them come in at the end of such a tough event.

Little late but SAFD: I am signed up for my first Dopey and first marathon. I have no time goals; I don't usually set time goals for disney races.
1. Arrive healthy and prepared. I am consistent to a fault so I have no real concerns that I won't be ready come race day as long as I stay healthy. I know the experience will be much more enjoyable if I put the work in over the next several months.
2. Commit to organized strength training. I rock climb and have used that as my strength training for years. Overall, it's a great sport that requires a lot of core strength and works all the muscles but I know I need some dedicated strength training to prevent injuries headed into marathon training. I have started runsmart sessions but am struggling with getting more that 1 a week in. Starting this week, I am writing in 2/week on my calendar to hold me accountable. I do this for my run schedule and it works really well.
3. Soak in the experience. I am a bit of an introvert and can usually find a reason to stay in over being sociable. And I am not a big character person. But, I really think this is a one and done for me so I want to immerse in the experience. I want to do the meetups and come away from MW feeling like I did more than run and sleep!
4. Finish all the races with a smile on my face and able to walk after! Again, not terribly worried about this if I achieve goal #1. But it is important for me to remind myself that this isn't about time. The event itself is a major accomplishment!

Small world!! I have friends who compete in IM including one who ran her 5th (?) this year and it has never once gotten me thinking. That is a level of training I have zero interest in and the swim scares the crap out of me! I do love going down to the finish chute and soaking in the atmosphere. It is so inspiring watching them come in at the end of such a tough event.

Yea, that level of training is definitely crazy. Swimming would definitely where I need the most training. Also, it is hard to fathom swimming in the waterway knowing what the bottom looks like. LOL. It is hard to believe how long some of the people are out on the course, 16+ hours. 😮

Yea, that level of training is definitely crazy. Swimming would definitely where I need the most training. Also, it is hard to fathom swimming in the waterway knowing what the bottom looks like. LOL. It is hard to believe how long some of the people are out on the course, 16+ hours. 😮
Yeah, a few years ago there was an IM where there was talk of moving the swim to Lake Conroe because bacteria levels were too high in Lake Woodlands. Obv that generates a lot of logistical problems and lots of course rerouting, so they were really trying not to do it. It basically came down to last minute serial testing and the water barely made the grade. My friend running that year pre-dosed with antibiotics and apparently lots of the athletes do that because of the swim. Gross!

The best part of a full IM race is the winners and other competitors coming out to cheer in the last finishers before the 17 hour cutoff.

You can certainly experience that "on the course forever" feeling during running events, too, without the need to dip your toes into the water of swimming and bike training! :D

SAFD: I'm registered for everything but the full. My goals are:
1. Have fun and enjoy my solo trip. I'm leaving my 3 kids and DH at home. This will be my 3rd time doing this for MW and I cherish this time.
2. Commit to a strength training routine. I've got a good running base now, so it's time to build up those muscles!
3. Work on speed so I can enjoy the races. I know that sounds weird, but I want to have time to stop for pics and soak it all in so I need to be able to move a bit faster during the boring parts.
4. Attend the HH meetup. I had so much fun meeting everyone last year!
5. Pre race meet ups. I missed these this year so hopefully I'll catch one next year!

SAFD: New poster alert. I've lurked for several years and feel like I "know" many of you already :) I've learned so much and know that I will go in so much better prepared than any of my previous runDisney events. I'm in for my first (and only) Dopey this year so my goals are similar to others.

1. Train properly, set race goals, and PR events prior to MW so that Dopey is the main event to enjoy. I was diagnosed with hip dysplasia in 2019 and training properly is critical for me to complete these runs successfully. This will be a celebration since I was told I would never be able to run again.
2. Enjoy the weekend. I completed Goofy in 2018 and was so caught up in completing it that I'm not sure I actually enjoyed the process. I'm hoping #1 will put me in a great position to complete this one.
3. Stop for pictures. I've never done this in any runDisney race.
3. Ride a ride.
4. Grab a celebratory drink in Epcot.

Related to all of these is an overarching goal to continue to focus on my health and nutrition this year.

SAFD: I'm in for Dopey #3 (and my 7th MW at WDW) -
- Put in the training so I can ENJOY the races and the celebrations after - sometimes I feel like walking around the parks afterwards is as much of an accomplishment as the race itself!
- Finish Dopey healthy and uninjured
- Enjoy my first MW with my kids! Running the 5k with my youngest (13), and the half with my oldest (17) and my husband
- Hopefully meet up with some of you wonderful people
- Rides during the marathon is not something I've ever done - honestly my stomach is usually borderline, especially late in the race, and riding a roller coaster or ToT would be the end of me! But I hadn't thought of Ratatouille....I could probably handle that!
- ALLLLLL the photos with rare characters, or classics in new outfits! After so many race weekends, I am picky about my photo stops, and these are my criteria. MW seldom disappoints!

@Ariel484 - I get the mom guilt - I used to have so much guilt when my kids were younger, but it is important to make time just for you! You will be a better mom for it!

Meet up for beignets?

As for flights, I only fly SW because I have enough pts to go free. I'm planning on Wednesday, but I'll see what the schedule looks like. Two more months to wait...
Yes! We should definitely meet up for beignets!

SAFD: 1. No injuries! During training or race days! 2. Work on strength more this training cycle. 3. Since I was part of the 2020 shortened course, I really want to do the full 26.2 mile course this time. 4. Show my sister a good time at her first runDisney event and first WDW trip! 5. Make the HH meetup and prerace meet ups. It was fun putting faces to names last time and I look forward to the same this time! 5. More character pictures and mile marker pictures! 6. Use the 10k as a fun easy run. Take as long as I want on the course, knowing I get to rest my legs the next day. 7. Enjoy every second of the Full! Remind myself we’re the lucky ones who get to do this!

This is definitely true, I know it would not be fun for us if he and my husband came. Due to my husband's work schedule, they'd only be able to be there Friday - Monday and I know it's better to just wait when we can go for a longer, non-running trip where things are more relaxed.
And mine are older yet - teenagers. I blinked my eyes and they are teenagers! Just wanted to share I have done both family and solo trips for marathon weekend. I liked both for very different reasons. But a solo trip does really allow for focus on the races and your own needs. And that can be glorious. Eat what you want, go to the parks (or not) as you want, and sleep when you want. It is a great time to be totally selfish - in a positive way!

My wife and teens require proof of future trips but totally support solo race weekends. Won’t be solo for MW 2023, but will be for Spring Surprise 2023. So long as I get a registration…
Yeah I definitely see the benefits of a solo trip and I think you're right that that is the way to go for race weekends.

This actually won't be a solo trip for me - my younger brother is also coming with me to run the races, and now that I think about it, 1. I haven't seen him in probably 3ish years (thanks, COVID), and 2. I can't recall when I last spent time with him and it was just the two of us. So that will be a special time for me, family-wise, in a different way. Unless we have sibling issues and want to strangle one another by the end of it. :)
@Ariel484 - I get the mom guilt - I used to have so much guilt when my kids were younger, but it is important to make time just for you! You will be a better mom for it!
And the reasonable side of me knows this - my husband I talked about the importance of having time to ourselves and being able to keep our own hobbies before deciding to have a kid, but now that I'm here...eek!

Mostly I feel guilt toward my husband since he'll have to wrangle a 4-year-old solo for the time I'm gone...but he says he's okay with it and I'm sure my in-laws will be happy to help. So again, reasonably I know it's fine...

Now if runDisney had brought back the kids races, it would be much more difficult for me to leave the kiddo at home. :)

I just saw this on Facebook and wanted to pass it along here as a warning. Very unfortunate that this is happening. :( Stay sharp, everyone.

View attachment 664884
Ugh. And I hate that they're using Kellsie's Hope because it is an awesome charity. But it's also smaller and run by volunteers, so I'm sure scammers think it will be easier to get people that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter