Marathon Weekend 2023

SE/SAFD
I have had my rooms taken care of for a while since we are DVC. I walked a club level AKL 1 bedroom. My mom and me will be flying in on friday and leaving Monday since I am "just" doing the marathon. We used points for the United flight then paid for upgrades(economy plus for me and mom first class) and we are flying in early Friday. I have not scheduled any ride to and from the hotel... thinking maybe just doing lyft/Uber since it is just the two of us. I have to wait till tommorow to get my ADRs. Since we are club level we will be eating most of our meals there but I want a nice place to eat dinner to celebrate my first marathon. Ideally Jiko but I am open to other places. We only got tickets/reservations for one day, Sunday to get pics with the castle with my medals. So we will be chilling at AKL most of the the time but that is why we we got club level.

SE/SAFD
I have had my rooms taken care of for a while since we are DVC. I walked a club level AKL 1 bedroom. My mom and me will be flying in on friday and leaving Monday since I am "just" doing the marathon. We used points for the United flight then paid for upgrades(economy plus for me and mom first class) and we are flying in early Friday. I have not scheduled any ride to and from the hotel... thinking maybe just doing lyft/Uber since it is just the two of us. I have to wait till tommorow to get my ADRs. Since we are club level we will be eating most of our meals there but I want a nice place to eat dinner to celebrate my first marathon. Ideally Jiko but I am open to other places. We only got tickets/reservations for one day, Sunday to get pics with the castle with my medals. So we will be chilling at AKL most of the the time but that is why we we got club level.

Since you're staying club level at AKL, don't be too concerned if you're not able to get the Jiko reservation as the club level concierge should be able to help you out. That's not true for all restaurants, but it seems like they have an in for the AKL ones. (Or at least they were able to in 2018.)

Tonight’s question - How is Disney planning going? Have you booked ADR’s? Flight set? Hotel set? Airport shuttle? Any special plans?
I love Disney planning! Booked ADRs this morning, although I've got alerts set for a few that I couldn't get and I'm sure I'll continue to tweak things over the next few weeks. Hotel is booked, I'm trying out the Dolphin this time. We recently stayed at the Swan and I think I'm in love. Location + price + Marriott points. Flight is booked (and recently rebooked at a lower price. I love Southwest!). I do still need to book the airport shuttle and probably grocery delivery to get a few things I have a hard time finding on site.

This will be a solo trip for me, and my first half marathon, so I'm debating ordering something special from someone on the Ear for Each Other facebook group to cheer myself on! A little gift basket or something. Not sure if that's a silly idea or not.

Last edited:
SAFD:

We’ve missed on most of the first options for our plans but we still made some ADRs at good places. Staying off-site we’re at a disadvantage; but primarily I’m just not enjoying planning for a Disney trip during such a busy period for the parks.

I am only going to the parks twice, Thursday at Epcot and Monday to MK for the After Hours. Really hoping we are able to get Guardians at the 7 AM drop. Didn’t really want to do anything other than the After Hours at this time of year, but couldn’t turn down a day at the parks with my niece and nephew. We won’t be getting Genie+; mainly because it’s awful, but also because it’s the worst. We may not get on many attractions but it should still be a fun day. A lot riding on getting that Guardians spot though.

If you couldn’t tell I really dislike when Marathon Weekend overlaps with winter break. Unfortunately, next year will be more of the same.

SAFD: All set with resort and ADR's, driving so no flights. Still need to make park reservations and buy tickets (SO sick of the park reservation thing!).
Had issues like most of you making ADR's, but after trying several times I was able to get it done. Didn't get everything I wanted, but going to try some new places instead so that's fine.
Never sure what I will be in the mood for after the marathon, but it's better to have something booked than just taking my chances with QS options.

SAFD: I am so stressed about planning for MW. Partially because I have a conference in Anaheim in a few weeks, so I am also sort of planning a Disneyland trip. I haven’t been there since I was 8, so it’s a learning curve— and of course I’m planning around the conference etc. My first point of stress was I had planned to fly in early the day before the conference to go to DCA, and I bought my park ticket and made my reservation. But then I thought to check the DCA hours and it closes at 5 pm that day for an unknown reason! I wouldn’t even get there until after noon so that’s a no go. Just lots of stress.

For MW I am stressed because I like to have my days planned out but also don’t know how I will be feeling, what my appetite will be, etc. So I am inclined not to plan too much dining in advance but am worried that a. Nothing will have anything I can eat (like when I was recently at DHS and they were out of pretzels all over the park) or b. There will be nowhere to sit down and eat (which happened when I got Casey’s at MK during my Halloween trip). Blah. I also have three park tickets, and my intention for one of them was to cheer for the half on Main Street then do Keys to the Kingdom to keep my legs active then come back to the hotel when that finished at 2 pm for the night. But it looks like that tour is not going to be available, and I don’t really want to go to MK just to go. Maybe I can go with my mom after the race for pictures and a meal but what if I can’t walk??? Dilemmas!!! I hate that I am spending all this money on park tickets but will only be in the park for a limited amount of hours.

I’m also doing the trip mostly solo although my neighbors will be around.

Here’s my plan so far:
Monday: fly in PM, stay w/ friend. She is getting a cat, and I am very allergic so we need to find a diff place to stay.
Tuesday: Univeral IoA w/ my bff who lives in Orlando, check in at POFQ
Wednesday: Expo. Platinum CrD. Disney Springs?
Thursday: 5K. DAK.
Friday: 10K. DHS. Harmonious.
Saturday: Cheer for half if not too tired. Sleep will take priority. Then ???
Sunday: Marathon. Mom coming to cheer for me. Then ??? I am hoping that 1900 Park Fare reopens for a special dinner but if not idk what to do.
Monday-Friday: Disney Wish with mom.
Friday: get off boat and go to EPCOT. Festival of the Arts. Drive to Tampa (parent’s house).
Saturday: Fly home.

I am overwhelmed just typing that out! And also feeling very broke.

SAFD: Extra-long trip for me; staying a week after the races in addition to week-of. I wanted to have time to enjoy Disney post-Dopey without the threat of impending miles. I've had my DVC split booked a while - BWV, then the resort studios at VGF. Looking forward to seeing those for the first time!

My friends are joining in for the 10K & BWV portion of the trip, so we've got some fun ADRs planned - including Garden Grill the night of the full. We couldn't get breakfast at Tusker House that worked with our schedule, but I'll keep checking.

They're flying in Wednesday AM & I'll be there already for CRD gold early merch access. A little nervous about the expo/merch - it's honestly the only reason I got CRD since it's my first Dopey. But excited! I also got tickets to DAH at MK and DHS after race weekend. I LOVE those events, and am SO excited for DHS, it's my favorite park to be in after dark, and post-close.

I'd like to spend a day at Universal since I'm not sure when I'll be back in Florida in '23. That'll probably happen during VGF. I'm sure it'll go by a lot faster than I want it to, especially since it's the longest I've spent away from work (9 days, will probably seem longer after everyone coming back from the holiday week lull) and we're usually crazy busy that time of year. Hoping I have enough willpower to ignore my cellphone 😅

(also wow, that's a lot of abbreviations).

I did want fantasmic package but I didn't see any availability, is it like disneyland where you book the restaurant and then when you get there you ask for the fantasmic menu?
You need to book the package, I don't believe you can "upgrade" to the package at the restaurant unless they have availability. But I don't believe they've released the packages yet, which is why you're not seeing anything available.

SAFD: We’re staying offsite for the races but I did get Poly - my first monorail resort! - for two nights after the marathon as a celebration. Not sure what will be left for ADRs Monday by the time I’m able to book this week but I’m hoping something yummy! Maybe sign up for notifications and see if I can snag CRT for my first time ☺️

But it looks like that tour is not going to be available, and I don’t really want to go to MK just to go. Maybe I can go with my mom after the race for pictures and a meal but what if I can’t walk??? Dilemmas!!!

I think going to MK for pictures and a meal is a great option! You can do both, and parade watch, without needing to walk too far in if you don’t feel like it.

It’s not as exciting as a park, but my favorite (free!) thing to do the day before the marathon to be outside and active, but not overuse the legs, is a “tour” I made up- I take the Skyliner from Pop (where I’m staying, but could be done in a different order) to Epcot, the boat from Epcot to DHS, and then the skyliner back to Pop, where I add in a walking loop around the lake. Great views from air and sea!

SAFD: I have a split stay so ADRs were done yesterday and today. Got what I wanted and more. Tickets bought and park reservations made today as well. Flights and resort were booked awhile ago. Trying to book Mears but it’s not recognizing my flight number so I guess I’ll have to do that later. It’s getting so close!

MW 2024 is in a very bad spot. But it looks like MW2025 will be back to 1/9-12

A popular Disney site has an article up today discussing big crowds at the parks the last few days and why they warn people about rD Weekends. This implies that rD Weekends in and of themselves are viewed by the larger Disney community as heavily increasing park traffic and generally a non-ideal time to visit the parks.

It seems completely counterintuitive that Disney would go out of their way to have their biggest rD event coincide with one of the biggest crowd drivers of the year, winter break and the Holidays. I realize they are also cognizant of the MLK holiday, but I still have trouble reconciling why overlapping that holiday weekend would be less ideal. I would think the week before MLK could benefit far more from a bump in traffic than the week of winter break :confused3.

I don’t know, maybe I’m just a little bitter because I vastly prefer when MW falls later; but the first week of January dates have never made much sense to me.

A popular Disney site has an article up today discussing big crowds at the parks the last few days and why they warn people about rD Weekends. This implies that rD Weekends in and of themselves are viewed by the larger Disney community as heavily increasing park traffic and generally a non-ideal time to visit the parks.

It seems completely counterintuitive that Disney would go out of their way to have their biggest rD event coincide with one of the biggest crowd drivers of the year, winter break and the Holidays. I realize they are also cognizant of the MLK holiday, but I still have trouble reconciling why overlapping that holiday weekend would be less ideal. I would think the week before MLK could benefit far more from a bump in traffic than the week of winter break :confused3.

I don’t know, maybe I’m just a little bitter because I vastly prefer when MW falls later; but the first week of January dates have never made much sense to me.

I found that article you mentioned. Yeah, race weekends draw people, and that's what it was supposed to do. Back in the early 90s (yes, bringing up the theme of next year's race), that time right after new year's and MLK was dreadfully slow at WDW. Kids didn't have the 2 week winter breaks from school. It was usually just the one week from December 23/24 to January 1, and they were back the next school day. So Disney needed something to draw people in, and that's how the weekend we all hold dear was born. Now, with some kids not going back to school until the 8th or later, it gets crowded for longer in Orlando. Basically, it used to not be a holiday weekend.

Maybe the week before MLK might be a better time, but, they want the big races on the weekend. Maybe to help alleviate traffic? Maybe to get more people to the races? I dunno.

Have you watched the Midway to Main Street (formerly RobPlays) video about the old Tour d'fun that was run from Tampa to Disney?

I found that article you mentioned. Yeah, race weekends draw people, and that's what it was supposed to do. Back in the early 90s (yes, bringing up the theme of next year's race), that time right after new year's and MLK was dreadfully slow at WDW. Kids didn't have the 2 week winter breaks from school. It was usually just the one week from December 23/24 to January 1, and they were back the next school day. So Disney needed something to draw people in, and that's how the weekend we all hold dear was born. Now, with some kids not going back to school until the 8th or later, it gets crowded for longer in Orlando. Basically, it used to not be a holiday weekend.
Do schools people really have time after Jan. 1 off? I find that most schools and people I'm aware of tend to go back right after Jan. 1. I've never understood why people say an "early" Marathon Weekend gets the holiday traffic.

I have a lenient employer around the holidays (1 full week for Thanksgiving, 2 full weeks at the holidays) and this year everyone is back on Tuesday, Jan. 3. The similar schedule will apply next year.

Woke up super early 3:30 am for reservations ( I am on Mountain time) this morning. Wow things are already booked up. Then I kept getting errors, so then switched to phone and that fixed it. Saturday lunch got Irish Pub at 11:15 or Morimoto Asia at 12:30. My original plan was Wine Bar George but no reservations. Then for my celebration dinner I was able to get 7:50 at Jiko... that might be to late so also got Sanaa at 6:25. My mom is in Europe right now, so when she gets back we will debate on what is best and the drop the 2nd reservations. Luckily I am not really needing much in reservations. Just wanting something at Disney spring for lunch on Sat and then celebration dinner for Sunday. The rest of the time we will just be eating at the Club.

So which reservations would you keep?

Do schools people really have time after Jan. 1 off? I find that most schools and people I'm aware of tend to go back right after Jan. 1. I've never understood why people say an "early" Marathon Weekend gets the holiday traffic.

I have a lenient employer around the holidays (1 full week for Thanksgiving, 2 full weeks at the holidays) and this year everyone is back on Tuesday, Jan. 3. The similar schedule will apply next year.
Yep, I am a history teacher. My district's winter break this year is from Dec 26 to Jan 6th.

I've been to every MW since 2016 and, while I don't have objective attendance numbers, the weekends that fall nearer New Year's Day have felt significantly more crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter