Marathon Weekend 2023

Wow - I didn‘t mean to start another generational battle :oops:

I think mid-late Gen X and elder Millenials can peacefully share some of the same playlists :)
oh that's not what I was getting at. Just that elder millennials kind of fit into both GenX an millennial stuff a lot of times (and the same for those late GenX'ers.) Especially depending on where you were raised (rural v urban) and all of that kind of stuff.

I was a grunge 90’s teen… Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Green Day, and similar all had permanent spots in my 6 disk CD changer. I would have loved a little fast paced Green Day playing in World Showcase. 8-)
Yes! This would be great music.
SAFD: I like this game - here are 5 from one of my running playlists:

Green Day - Welcome to Paradise
Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench
The Offspring- Come out and Play
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Around the World (for the marathon!)
Beastie Boys - Intergalactic (“I run the marathon to the very last mile”).

As for one of my favorites that I heard (only once) even though it’s technically 1989 and it’s because of Wednesday- Goo Goo Muck by the Cramps.

Yes, I know - a very Gen-X playlist..:.
Yes to all this music too!!!
Not sure it’s a very Gen-X playlist. As an elder millennial I fully support that list of songs.

Elder millennials unite!

I’m not a Millennial!! I hate that they say it starts in ‘81 (and I have seen this elsewhere). It just seems so dis-jointed. I was born in ‘82. I prefer the in-betweeners. 🤣 -Grew up in the analog world, but still young enough when the internet made a real appearance to grow up and learn the digital world early on (junior high-ish).
And I’m probably a little bit more of an oddball, because we had a rotary dial phone and were on a party line until I was at least in junior high, if not high school.

I’m loving all these 90s songs.

Wow - I didn‘t mean to start another generational battle :oops:

I think mid-late Gen X and elder Millenials can peacefully share some of the same playlists :)

Lol... I am another elder millennials. We are such a weird group. We are a mix of Gen X and Millenials.

SAFD: older Gen X here, with very eclectic music taste, but was mostly listening to a combo of Grateful Dead and grunge in the early 90s. I knew Disney wouldn’t be playing my music, so I made my own playlists for the weekend, lol! Yes, I was the one running the 10K in a Red Hot Chili Peppers tee and Nirvana ears.

My picks to add to the 90s rotation:

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Nirvana
Beastie Boys
Green Day
Stone Temple Pilots
Coolio
Beck
Cranberries
Nine Inch Nails

Highlights from what I did hear of Disney’s picks were Vogue, which yes, I absolutely vogued to mid-marathon, and the entire field around me busting out Ice Ice Baby, which took me right back to blasting it in 1991 in my college roommate’s convertible, speeding over the bridge to a beach in FL.

All this talk about 90s music reminds me of this past summer when I was having lunch with my new team. They were talking about the song Peaches which I assumed was the beloved The Presidents of the United States of America song but apparently Bieber has a song with the same name 🤷‍♀️. I've never felt older. Even after I embarrassed myself by singing that peaches come from a can they had no idea what I was talking about. 🤣

According to Pew Research:
Born 1965-1980 = Gen X
Born 1981-1996 = Millennial

I'm a tail-end of 1970 baby and those 90s songs were all during college and early adulthood when I was still listening to new music. I'm happy to claim more content for the "forgotten generation", but I tend to lean more to 1980s tunes (when I was a tween and teen) as a true Gen X playlist.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
I'm an early 70s kid, so my musical tastes are firmly rooted in the 70s and 80s. I don't mind some of the 90s music, but it's not my preferred cup of tea. Give me classic rock or Yacht Rock any day. And yes, it hurts my heart and soul to hear 90s groups starting to get playtime on classic rock stations. It's just wrong.

Born early 70s and a skate rat graduating HS in the late 80s I’m in the minority here I guess. I thrived on punk or speed metal and though I liked the original Nirvana grundge, the 90s was a huge disappointment in music to me. I prefer hard,fast,and loud if I’m running with music, though usually I just skip it. Think Slipknot, Social Distortion, Agent Orange…

I *love* cheesy 90s pop- give me Spice Girls, Ace of Base, and boy bands all day, but I found the weekend playlist hit or miss (and I never heard Ice Ice Baby or Macarena, and Mmmbop only once). I ran through MK and the castle to the… Wallflowers? I like the song, but it didn’t really match the moment for me. I think overall I would have preferred more Disney tunes.

SAFD: older Gen X here, with very eclectic music taste, but was mostly listening to a combo of Grateful Dead and grunge in the early 90s. I knew Disney wouldn’t be playing my music, so I made my own playlists for the weekend, lol! Yes, I was the one running the 10K in a Red Hot Chili Peppers tee and Nirvana ears.

My picks to add to the 90s rotation:

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Nirvana
Beastie Boys
Green Day
Stone Temple Pilots
Coolio
Beck
Cranberries
Nine Inch Nails

Highlights from what I did hear of Disney’s picks were Vogue, which yes, I absolutely vogued to mid-marathon, and the entire field around me busting out Ice Ice Baby, which took me right back to blasting it in 1991 in my college roommate’s convertible, speeding over the bridge to a beach in FL.
Double thumbs up to this playlist!

Oooh great finally SAFD. If I never hear duck tails or the goofy movie again it'll be too soon.

I'm firmly a 90s kid - was born in 1990. 90s pop was my life. I definitely heard the obvious songs by Britney, Christina, *NSync and BSB, but there was so much more they could have included instead of playing MMMBop on repeat.

1. Literally anything from the Parent Trap soundtrack. While many of these songs pre-date the 90s, they feel very 90s to me because of their use in the movie.

2. Supernova Girl by Prota Zoa from Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century. This movie came out in '99 so even though she's a girl from the year 2049, it would fit!

3. Slam Dunk da Funk - 5ive from Smart House. Another excellent DCOM with great music.

4. Barbie Girl - Aqua

5. Tubthumping - Chumbawamba

4. Barbie Girl - Aqua
Same!
Plus:
-Sisqo's Thong Song
-anything from BoyzIIMen (thought I caught a tail end of On Bended Knee one of the mornings but maybe not)
-anything from the 10 Things soundtrack
-anything from the Empire Records soundtrack

As a HS class of '99er growing up overseas, had an "interesting" mix of musical influences.

Same!
Plus:
-Sisqo's Thong Song
-anything from BoyzIIMen (thought I caught a tail end of On Bended Knee one of the mornings but maybe not)
-anything from the 10 Things soundtrack
-anything from the Empire Records soundtrack

As a HS class of '99er growing up overseas, had an "interesting" mix of musical influences.
First of all - yes to Sisqo.

Second of all - DID ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THEY EDITED BSB? Specifically in Everybody... the line following "Am I the only one?"

Born early 70s and a skate rat graduating HS in the late 80s I’m in the minority here I guess. I thrived on punk or speed metal and though I liked the original Nirvana grundge, the 90s was a huge disappointment in music to me. I prefer hard,fast,and loud if I’m running with music, though usually I just skip it. Think Slipknot, Social Distortion, Agent Orange…
Same! Minus the skate rat part: I could never master it and was stuck in Betty status lol! My running playlist is still stuffed with Social D, Agent Orange, Circle Jerks (can I even type that here?!), Dead Kennedys. Grunge was kind of the necessary evolution, I guess, but it never quite hit me like the Pistols or The Clash. I also worked in a record store in the early 90s, so I was force-fed New Kids On The Block on a daily basis. That was painful.

Last edited:
Oooh great finally SAFD. If I never hear duck tails or the goofy movie again it'll be too soon.

I'm firmly a 90s kid - was born in 1990. 90s pop was my life. I definitely heard the obvious songs by Britney, Christina, *NSync and BSB, but there was so much more they could have included instead of playing MMMBop on repeat.

1. Literally anything from the Parent Trap soundtrack. While many of these songs pre-date the 90s, they feel very 90s to me because of their use in the movie.

2. Supernova Girl by Prota Zoa from Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century. This movie came out in '99 so even though she's a girl from the year 2049, it would fit!

3. Slam Dunk da Funk - 5ive from Smart House. Another excellent DCOM with great music.

4. Barbie Girl - Aqua

5. Tubthumping - Chumbawamba
I am gonna show my age by saying that for me, the parent trap meant Hayley Mills and Brian Keith…
I'm an early 70s kid, so my musical tastes are firmly rooted in the 70s and 80s. I don't mind some of the 90s music, but it's not my preferred cup of tea. Give me classic rock or Yacht Rock any day. And yes, it hurts my heart and soul to hear 90s groups starting to get playtime on classic rock stations. It's just wrong.
Preach!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter