Marathon Weekend 2023

If you have 10 windows open maybe you cut Disney IT some slack, they can’t pay for or maintain server capacity that can handle that event half a dozen times a year. It’s not practical. Plenty to complain about with Disney IT but people having 10 windows open compiling who have never been locked out of registration because they log on during the first minutes is pretty petty. You’re the problem.
That's where the virtualization comes in. They don't have to pay for them year round, just spin up some more VMs for a day or two and then pull them offline after traffic dies down. We deal with this all the time these days.

If you have 10 windows open maybe you cut Disney IT some slack, they can’t pay for or maintain server capacity that can handle that event half a dozen times a year. It’s not practical. Plenty to complain about with Disney IT but people having 10 windows open compiling who have never been locked out of registration because they log on during the first minutes is pretty petty. You’re the problem.

This is only the case if they coded the application to not be easily scalable, which is on them.

The technology has existed for a long time to be able to dynamically spin up additional servers to react to demand. AWS has offered this for years.

The irony is I DO plan to upgrade my Club rD membership, but they won't let me do it until after this registration is over. The membership windows are weird. Still nothing but dwarves here.

Alternate conspiracy theory: make registration harder to get through to drive people to sign up for Club RunDisney.
Well, it's low key working for me (even from before today, I had been contemplating signing up just to release the anxiety I have been having).

That's where the virtualization comes in. They don't have to pay for them year round, just spin up some more VMs for a day or two and then pull them offline after traffic dies down. We deal with this all the time these days.
I am surprised they’re not using the same que system they used for moonlight magic and am assuming guardians registration. Worked well, then again never had this problem before with this one

It's not that expensive. I work in higher ed IT, and we invest in surge capacity for that ONE day per year when 100,000+ people are hitting our servers simultaneously, to find out if they got in.

Nope, sorry, Disney does NOT get a pass on this - at least not from me. The reason people feel the need to have multiple browsers is because they've been burned too many times by the failure of Disney IT. They caused the problem and then dump the blame on people just trying to give them massive amounts of money.

As a Club member, I am very relieved to have already registered, BUT I was hoping to get my sister in for the 5K this morning. UGH!

Just had my first panic inducing accidental refresh - but it was the DISboards window .... phew

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter