Marathon Weekend 2024

40% less!?! Gonna have to look. We usually fly out of Detroit anyway, and have not got tickets yet.
Yeah Delta on Sunday-Tuesday was like $240ish person, which google flights said is "cheaper than usual." Either way, it's a price I'm willing to pay. Last week it was more like $400+/person. DH and I are flying roundtrip for less than $500 combined. Flying locally out of TC or Manistee was going to be $1000+, and GR was $750.

Lansing also had pretty decent prices too I think.

Also, now that we are going to be there for 8 nights, I'm going to have to work REALLY HARD at figuring out stuff for DH to do.

Only makes sense if you're running every race and don't want to deal with reg.

You also have to consider the early Expo shopping entry and the bump up to corral B. If you're super into the merch and/or a slower runner who wants buffer for more photos stops and on-course fun, those are valuable perks in addition to the early registration at different membership levels.

The mild regret you get when you discover you can fly DTW-MCO-LAX-DTW for 36,000 miles (Pro Tip: Book Delta flights with points via Virgin Atlantic or AF/KLM) and so maybe you could have done a race during MW after all.

Oh well. Will just stick with DL weekend.

Last edited:
I echo staying moving after the marathon is most important! I hit just over 70k steps, I had a nice long bath after the marathon and then hit the parks. My legs were not tired...but my body was sure tired from 16 hours of sleep for the entire Dopey Challenge. I flew home on Tuesday and that was fine. It was nice having Monday to leisurely do the parks, I actually did After Hours at MK on Monday night which I sort of regretted because I was pretty ready to go home at that point, and had already done all the rides earlier in my trip (it would have been a more fun event if I had just come in for the races and hadn't had so much park time pre-races). I like to have more buffer room with travel though, so assuming you are just doing the marathon, flying in on Thursday gives you more flexibility if you can't fly out until say Friday night for some reason and then you can still make the expo on Saturday. So my recommendation is Thursday to Tuesday if you can swing it :rotfl:
Ahhhh amazing! That's a really good tip! So excited to have found this board and a wonderful group of Disney people! :earsgirl::earsboy::earboy2:

Looking for non-stops between MCO and Southern Cal nonstop left me with either Delta into LAX or Breeze Airways into SNA. But Breeze's newest flight seems to have some punctuality issues.

Frontier has a nonstop into/out of Ontario (ONT)/MCO, but then you have to fly Frontier…🤕🤕 I personally didn’t think the red eye out of ONT to MCO was terrible, but my husband really hates the seats. Perhaps paying more for the “upgraded” seats would have helped… Flying Frontier out of MCO was kinda crazy. 😳

It may have been this way for awhile and I never noticed it, but Marathon Oil is a sponsor of Marathon Weekend (haven't looked at last year's shirst to see)? Seemed funny to me to see them sandwhiched inbetween Honey Stinger and Sports Beans on the RD website, although I guess all 3 are fuels of one type or another.

Not commenting on positives/negatives of oil companies; it just jumped out as me as a "one of these things is not like the other" moments.

It may have been this way for awhile and I never noticed it, but Marathon Oil is a sponsor of Marathon Weekend (haven't looked at last year's shirst to see)? Seemed funny to me to see them sandwhiched inbetween Honey Stinger and Sports Beans on the RD website, although I guess all 3 are fuels of one type or another.

Not commenting on positives/negatives of oil companies; it just jumped out as me as a "one of these things is not like the other" moments.

"Marathon Oil" sounds like some kind of new Body Glide competitor!

Anyone staying at Shades of Green? Have you stayed there before during MW? How was it? So excited about the race, just not the training.

Does anyone know if any charities still have 5k bibs? My husband told me not to register my son, but guess who started talking to me about his costume last night at dinner?

Yeah Delta on Sunday-Tuesday was like $240ish person, which google flights said is "cheaper than usual." Either way, it's a price I'm willing to pay. Last week it was more like $400+/person. DH and I are flying roundtrip for less than $500 combined. Flying locally out of TC or Manistee was going to be $1000+, and GR was $750.

Lansing also had pretty decent prices too I think.

Also, now that we are going to be there for 8 nights, I'm going to have to work REALLY HARD at figuring out stuff for DH to do.
Excited you got your flights booked (that's always so fun!) but really, just wanted to say YAH!! Fellow RunDisney peeps in Michigan!! Woot! @Herding_Cats @Baloo in MI 🥳

Wonder if we have others from the Mitten State?! 💜

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter