Marathon Weekend 2024

SAFD: The rgistration stress is real. I laughed a few minutes into the process when my Garmin alerted me that my HR was elevated and I should relax. Had 6 (or so) browsers going overall and while most were over an hour, I had one that started at like 35 minutes and then dropped to less than 20. Ultimatly I go what I wanted (Goofy) and also got my DD registered for the HM. I was more worried aboutgetting her into the HM as Goofy is usually one of the last races to sell out. Now that I know it was the first to sell out this year I am very happy I got through the registration que black box so quickly.

SAFD: I'm Platinum Club rD and used my two early registrations for the 10K and half, but decided when the artwork came out that I also wanted the 5K, so I joined the madness. I had four browsers going between computer and phone, and every one of them sat at more than an hour for about 20 minutes. Thankfully a DIS friend was kind enough to share a shorter queue (and then two more via DM, who I told I was covered and to please pass them along). Ultimately that one took another 15 minutes or so, and I was able to get the 5K. I then passed along the rest of my queues that weren't still over an hour.

Overall not horribly stressful, because if I didn't get the 5K I was still in for the other two and my C2C attempt was intact with the half. I'll be doing the 5K, 10K and half at both WDW and DL, which I've dubbed the Double Grumpy.

SAFD: I hate the registration stress. I think between all of my devices, I had 8+ windows going, and they were all over 1hr. Thankfully my husband managed to get one with a couple of minutes, so by 10:03 I was registered. He was very lucky with his windows this time around, so I was able to send a few people links to register.

Ran the 10 miler this AM. I mean no disrespect to that race at all by this comment but having now done the circuit I can see/appreciate why so many rank the marathon weekend so high among runD events and this thread is so active. Just a totally different vibe and I think I definitely enjoy the broad “Disney” theme vs the more specialized other weekends. I’m glad we decided to pass on W&D this year and pretty excited about Dopey #2 in January.

Ran the 10 miler this AM. I mean no disrespect to that race at all by this comment but having now done the circuit I can see/appreciate why so many rank the marathon weekend so high among runD events and this thread is so active. Just a totally different vibe and I think I definitely enjoy the broad “Disney” theme vs the more specialized other weekends. I’m glad we decided to pass on W&D this year and pretty excited about Dopey #2 in January.
Congrats! I am with you on the broad Disney theme. I have done Princess twice and while it’s still very fun, the character stops are much less interesting to me compared to the ones at MW.

Congrats! I am with you on the broad Disney theme. I have done Princess twice and while it’s still very fun, the character stops are much less interesting to me compared to the ones at MW.
I ran the challenge this weekend and there were lots of duplicates. I know not everyone runs every race but if you do, it starts to feel "samey"

SAFD: Registration wasn't too stressful for me. I had already gotten the half through a charity and that was all I really wanted so I can do coast to coast. But I wanted to add on the 10K. I had four browsers open, Safari on phone, Firefox, Chrome and incognito Chrome on my desktop. They started all over an hour, but the Chrome one that I opened at 10:01 was the first to drop and ultimately the one I got in on. Hoping things are this easy next year when I try for a Dopey registration!

SAFD: I got registered for THE marathon which was my goal (emphasizing “the" because my partner scolded me last time I referred to it as “just" 😊). My backup plan was Goofy so include me in those that were surprised that challenge went so fast.

I wasn’t super concerned since the marathon is typically (always?) the last to sell out but my situation did make it more stressful than usual. I was hiking in Yosemite with my mom with unreliable cell service and Wi-Fi that only worked in the hotel lobby. I also didn’t want to haul my laptop just for registration so I was limited to my tablet and phone. Graciously, my mom agreed to hang out in the lobby with me at 6:45a local time so I ended up with 5 queue spots. All were originally over an hour but 3 of them dropped and were in within the first half hour. Two of them still showed over an hour though when I went for my run at 7:30a. Glad I didn’t need to rely on any of those 😬.

Hope everyone got what they wanted! Excited for another fun marathon weekend ahead.
Just have to say that it is totally cool that you were in Yosemite while registering. Well, simply cool that you were in Yosemite! That is my most favorite place on earth!

Also good job not using “just”. I totally agree. All distance, and those running them, deserve their due.

SAFD - This was the least stressful registration for me because I didn't register for anything 😂

I was doing fine and then randomly came on here around 10:30 to discover all the madness but restrained myself from registering.

I should probably stop being in this thread since I'm taking the year off, but I love it too much.

I'll be back in 2025 though, and I'm going to see if I can convince my brother to train for a marathon. But if he'd do any race, I'll sign up for it and the marathon.

SAFD: Thanks to everyone on these boards I can go into each registration with a plan knowing what I want, about how long I’ll have to get it before it sells out (probably/hopefully) and what my plan B is if necessary. That doesn’t stop any registration day anxiety which starts at least a week or so before.

This time I used 7 devices, some on wi-fi some on cellular. Clicked a few on the early Marathon link and then waited on others until after 10:00 curious to see if it would make any difference. My first device actually was the first one to start dropping. I was watching this board as well as the RunDisney site to check for sellouts. I got in at the 38 minute mark and successfully registered for Goofy (and first ever Marathon). So excited!

I was also coordinating with my brother who was going for the half. I was a little worried not knowing how fast the half would go with all the Coast to Coast people out there but he got in so all good.

That left me with just enough time to start considering signing up for the 10K, then tell myself no, then think I could do it, then remind myself I would need another night in a hotel plus food, then why not just do Dopey instead, then no again when it sold out and the problem was solved for me. Whew. That was almost bad!

SAFD:
I was able to register myself for Dopey, and then go back in a separate queue for DH's 5/10/half bibs, since I had checkout issues trying to do everything in the same transaction/cart. (This is why you always have more than one, because had I relied on a single queue, I would be the only one from my house running anything in January.) I had 4 devices going at home, and had DH jump on and grab a queue as well from his jobsite (his was the quickest) and that put me at 12 windows + DH's phone.

During my few panicked moments where *I* had checked out, but didn't have a short queue (I was still clicking through all of my tabs) someone kindly sent me a queue ID that I didn't end up needing as one of the last few of mine that I was checking had a low wait time. Judging by the confirmation email timestamps, and the sell-out times post, I managed everything about 5min before things started being sold out.

I ran the challenge this weekend and there were lots of duplicates. I know not everyone runs every race but if you do, it starts to feel "samey"
For sure! If I had to see Up characters one more time, I was about ready to scream!

We needed more Inside Out, and they should get some Soul characters figured out.

And bring in more totally random characters—Pinocchio had nothing to do with the theme at all, but he was out for the 10K

SAFD: I had a pretty easy time this registration cycle. I had 9 browsers going including desktop, laptop and tablet; regular and incognito. One of the 9 (which I clicked on as soon as the marathon registration popped up about 10 minutes before actual start time) gave me an initial 28 minutes and ended up with an overall wait of just 15 minutes. I registered both myself and my DD for the HM and had no issues with the payment page.

I didn't realize until reading theses boards that I was lucky my credit card payment was accepted and I did not have to register one at a time with two different queues.

SAFD: 5 devices going with 2 browsers hoping to get the family (4) in either the 5k or 10k and then just me for half. I’m the only one with a race (Half). DH had the 5ks but messed up on his birth date and it wouldn’t let him fix it, so when I got in I tried adding the 5ks but they were gone, just the longer races were open.
Years ago when I did tinker bell at DL, I don’t remember it being that bad. But this Super stressful, and I needed a nap after o_O

For sure! If I had to see Up characters one more time, I was about ready to scream!

We needed more Inside Out, and they should get some Soul characters figured out.

And bring in more totally random characters—Pinocchio had nothing to do with the theme at all, but he was out for the 10K
I was surprised the Bell Hops didn’t have official photographers. They’re still quite popular, even if the theme wasn’t centered around Tower of Terror.

SAFD: Registration wasn't too stressful for me. I had already gotten the half through a charity and that was all I really wanted so I can do coast to coast. But I wanted to add on the 10K. I had four browsers open, Safari on phone, Firefox, Chrome and incognito Chrome on my desktop. They started all over an hour, but the Chrome one that I opened at 10:01 was the first to drop and ultimately the one I got in on. Hoping things are this easy next year when I try for a Dopey registration!
I was surprised the Bell Hops didn’t have official photographers. They’re still quite popular, even if the theme wasn’t centered around Tower of Terror.
Unless I'm mistaken, the bellhops have not had official photographers even during MW.

Was nice to see the 2 elf brothers from that movie I can't even remember the name of. I didn't care about them but was excited to see something different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter