• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2024

SAFD: I often remind myself that something is better than nothing when I need extra motivation to get out the door. Once I'm going, I usually have no problem to just keep going. However, with the heat last week, it was a mental battle. I gave myself permission to walk a few steps around mile 9 and that's all I needed to get to 10.

There have been a few runs that just were not meant to be and I had to cut short. In those situations, it's important to give yourself grace and know that everyone has bad runs.

I also like to remind myself that every mile in training is another coin in my race piggy bank. The more coins I earn, the better the race experience will be.

With the return on the Dining Plan (of course, after MW is over) and some tweaking of the park reservation system, do we think there's ANY chance of the 2pm park-hopping restriction going away? or getting moved to like noon?

I feel like it won't happen. But I want it to for reasons.
I don’t think Disney loves that much, sadly

SAFD: When runs get difficult, I try to embrace the suck. You can’t change the weather or how heavy your legs feel, but you can change your attitude in how you accept reality. I view the struggle as an opportunity to learn for race day. I try to picture myself on race day and the way I would tackle whatever problem I’m facing. I’ve been at races that were raining, or hot, or freezing, and I use my training to work out whatever issues I might have ahead of time. Come race day nothing will be new because I’ll know which gear doesn’t work when wet and what pace I can maintain when it’s 99% humidity.

With the return on the Dining Plan (of course, after MW is over) and some tweaking of the park reservation system, do we think there's ANY chance of the 2pm park-hopping restriction going away? or getting moved to like noon?

I feel like it won't happen. But I want it to for reasons.

The only thing I'm staring at is 1/9, when Park Pass reservations are no longer needed, we might see something more with hopping, G+ pricing, pre-selecting G+ passes, or something.

Of course, after we're all done running.

The only thing I'm staring at is 1/9, when Park Pass reservations are no longer needed, we might see something more with hopping, G+ pricing, pre-selecting G+ passes, or something.

Of course, after we're all done running.

I am still pretty shocked that the Park Pass system is going away. I am very thankful it is but did not believe they’d ever revert. I figured it supplied far too much information to them about staffing at what they view as the proper levels (i.e. bare minimum).

In the absence of park passes I don’t really see a purpose for delaying park hopping; there is far more opportunity for disproportionate/unexpected crowd levels simply by not having park passes than there is for people all leaving one park to go to another. There is also financial incentive as an unrestricted park hopper add-on to a ticket is far more attractive to people planning a vacation than one with any type of restriction. I added park hoppers quite a few times before Park Passes but have never even considered it since the 2 PM restrictions :confused3.

I figured it supplied far too much information to them about staffing at what they view as the proper levels (i.e. bare minimum).

That's what FP+ was there for, earlier. It was a way of filtering people into certain parks. "There's no more FPs for Seven Dwarves, but I got one for Flight of Passage. I guess we're going to Animal Kingdom Wednesday!"

When they took away the ability to prebook passes, they needed a way of filtering people into the different parks, so not everyone is trying to go into the same park the same day. That's how the Park Pass system came about.

I really really think the target date for prebooking G+ passes is 1/9/24, because that's when Park Passes is going away, and they still need a way of filtering people into certain parks.

I am still pretty shocked that the Park Pass system is going away. I am very thankful it is but did not believe they’d ever revert. I figured it supplied far too much information to them about staffing at what they view as the proper levels (i.e. bare minimum).

In the absence of park passes I don’t really see a purpose for delaying park hopping; there is far more opportunity for disproportionate/unexpected crowd levels simply by not having park passes than there is for people all leaving one park to go to another. There is also financial incentive as an unrestricted park hopper add-on to a ticket is far more attractive to people planning a vacation than one with any type of restriction. I added park hoppers quite a few times before Park Passes but have never even considered it since the 2 PM restrictions :confused3.
Keep in mind that park reservations are going away only for those who have daily park specific tickets (like MK on Monday, AK on Tuesday, etc.), so they KNOW what park these guests are going to. AP’s (who could conceivably go to any park) still have to have park reservations. So Disney still has the same data on crowds in each park for staffing. Park hopping is the only wild card, so they may keep it to after 2:00.

Keep in mind that park reservations are going away only for those who have daily park specific tickets (like MK on Monday, AK on Tuesday, etc.), so they KNOW what park these guests are going to. AP’s (who could conceivably go to any park) still have to have park reservations. So Disney still has the same data on crowds in each park for staffing. Park hopping is the only wild card, so they may keep it to after 2:00.

I don't think this is true. The way it's written is that if the ticket is "date-based", then you don't need a reservation. So if you buy a one day or a multi-day ticket and your "first park day" (or only day, if it's a 1-day) is January 9 or beyond, then you don't need a reservation. You don't need to specify what park(s) you'll be going to for any of the days of the ticket.

The only info they will have is when you will be going to "parks" (since they know how many ticket days you have and the window in which you can use them)

I don't think this is true. The way it's written is that if the ticket is "date-based", then you don't need a reservation. So if you buy a one day or a multi-day ticket and your "first park day" (or only day, if it's a 1-day) is January 9 or beyond, then you don't need a reservation. You don't need to specify what park(s) you'll be going to for any of the days of the ticket.

The only info they will have is when you will be going to "parks" (since they know how many ticket days you have and the window in which you can use them)

But if it is one day there is no need for a reservation because I t is “date based” for the park you bought (since there are different prices for different parks), and don’t multi-day tickets still have to have park reservations like APs?

Thank you @GuinnessRunner. I was confused because I was checking ticket prices for 2025 to see if it would be better to renew APs or purchase tickets, so I checked for 1, 5, and 10 day tickets in March. The WDW app still says I can use the multi-day tickets between x and y days in any park “as long as park reservations are available.” My guess is that the infamous Disney IT has yet to update My Disney Experience. That said, I decided to renew APs.

Hello everyone again... Haven't engaged the DIS in a while, but training is about to get real, and I'm gonna try to check in regularly to keep an anchor point.

So out of curiosity, who is running for frolic and fun, and who has the big, hairy, audacious goal glaring down at them?

And who still tries to piece together a costume of sorts for a goal race?

Hello everyone again... Haven't engaged the DIS in a while, but training is about to get real, and I'm gonna try to check in regularly to keep an anchor point.

So out of curiosity, who is running for frolic and fun, and who has the big, hairy, audacious goal glaring down at them?

Frolic & Fun! (and the C2C medal!)

Welcome back!! All of the above for me. Costume for the 5k or 10k, taking it easy for 5k,10k and half and then putting in an all out effort for the marathon.

Starting to feel more real!

Frolic and fun; I'm doing the Dumbo challenge the next week for C2C so I'm just here to have fun :)

Mostly for fun, but I have agreed to pace a friend to her first sub-2 half.

SAFD:
Good morning runDisney All-Stars! For today’s question share an update on Marathon Weekend training and how it is going for you.

My answer: I am off to a good start. I took some time away from running in June and some of July, but have been steadily building since. It was really good to take that time off, I was dealing with a sore hip and some running fatigue. After the break I was excited to get running again and no hip issues! I am following a different plan this go around that is more time based as opposed to mileage based. It is very different for me. And so strange to have finished runs at .93 or .97 and not need to finish off the last .03 to make it a whole mile. Honestly that has probably been he hardest part! :). Feeling good about being ready for a hard marathon effort in January, a little more anxious about MCM that is at the end of October. But looking forward to both! Hope everyone has a good week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter