Marathon Weekend 2024

Back in the beginning of BOG, the lunch french dip and onion soup was a big surprise. We had tried dinner there when it first opened and were underwhelmed. We tried lunch and loved it. We used to try to go for lunch every trip after that. But since they changed the format of the restaurant, we haven't been back since.

BOG has had such a strange lifecycle and I feel like it has settled in to its current state, which I would (perhaps generously) label mediocrity, by equal parts traditional Disney cost cutting and traditional Disney pandering to the lowest palate denominator.

When it started it really seemed like they were going for an elevated French-inspired cuisine (it was still Disney, the middle American sensibilities still had to be considered). The menu was more varied and even earlier versions of the prix fixe had some slightly more adventurous fare. Seems like between cost considerations and analytics that likely showed the most Americanized dishes were most popular they devolved to the current cruise ship experience.

SAFD: I really want to try brunch at Wine Bar George sometime. And for no reason other than because timing never seems to work out for this one is Via Napoli. We’ve made reservations almost every trip and always have to cancel. One day!

I’m always happy with Satuli Canteen and Nomad Lounge. My vegetarian husband was pleasantly surprised with Skipper Canteen. He flew in late Saturday of MW and did MK by himself and was able to do a walk in and grab some food.

SAFD: We always try to mix it up when we go and try 1-2 new places while mixing in our favorites too. When we head down for our next trip at the end of September we are staying at the the Swalphin (first time there) and are trying 3 new places - Bluezoo, Amare and Space 220 (lucked out getting reservation as soon as the window opened) so excited to see what those are all like. The one place I would still love to try is Victoria & Alberts. Not sure it will happen as we are typically down there with the kids (or I'm solo for MW) and I can't say I crave a fancy/formal dinner when I'm at the World.

As for a pleasant surprises, I have two. In the parks, La Hacienda San Angel at Epcot. We thought the food was very good and a little different from typical Mexican fare. Plus the margaritas, while not La Cava level, were great too. My other would be The Edison in Disney Springs. Went there with my DD one time on a whim and we really enjoyed it. Not a huge menu, but what we had was really good.

SAFD: I have never been able to get Space 220 - either the lounge or lunch/dinner, and I just really want to see the restaurant. Lounge might be the better way to go since their vegan offerings are not super appealing.
Also have always wanted to try Tiffins but we love Satuli so much for a fraction of the price its hard to justify it.

Pleasant surprise restaurant was Biergarten - since I'm vegan, I had always avoided it, thinking it would be all meat, but they had a lot of vegan options on the buffet, and brought me vegan brats and a vegan dessert. We really loved the atmosphere in there, and the entertainment was fun.

SAFD: I’d like to give Rosa Mexicana a try. They are supposed to have a delicious pomegranate margarita 😋 and I love me some birria tacos.

I was recently surprised by the quality of food at Hoop Dee Doo. I was there for the show, and was expecting banquet frozen dinner quality food. The fried chicken was actually good. It was hot, fresh and crispy.

SAFD: I suppose you could add me to the list of those who want to witness the gimmick of Space 220 Lounge. And if I had something I really wanted to celebrate--and someone to do it with (DH is most assuredly NON-Disney)--Victoria and Albert would be nice, since the food/experience is supposed to be good--not just "Disney good"

As for pleasantly surprised, this has never happened. I have a low opinion of Disney food, and I could have written @Barca33Runner response as to the "dumbing down over time" of every new restaurant that seems to have potential. Plus, as a Value-driven person, I can barely justify CS food, let alone sit-down restaurants. Not to say I haven't enjoyed some of the food (Sanaa, for sure and even elements of Boma, Satu'li). It's just that I have set my expectations accordingly. Maybe i

Now if we want to try "unpleasantly disappointed", I still remember a dinner at Jiko that was almost inedibly salty and a server who was absolutely incompetent and inattentive--a bad combination.

BOG has had such a strange lifecycle and I feel like it has settled in to its current state, which I would (perhaps generously) label mediocrity, by equal parts traditional Disney cost cutting and traditional Disney pandering to the lowest palate denominator.

I feel you on BOG, 100%. The 2014-2015 version of BOG was superb! The food was wonderful, the decor inside was fantastic! By 2019BC, it got pretty bad. It was the only meal I had sent back my entire trip; that roast beef was chewy and almost inedible.

The post pandemic prix fixe version is ok. But for $65 (now $67), I expect more than merely ok. Heck, if they served the 2014 menu for $67, I'd go back! But how it is now, no, it's not worth it.

I feel you on BOG, 100%. The 2014-2015 version of BOG was superb! The food was wonderful, the decor inside was fantastic! By 2019BC, it got pretty bad. It was the only meal I had sent back my entire trip; that roast beef was chewy and almost inedible.

The post pandemic prix fixe version is ok. But for $65 (now $67), I expect more than merely ok. Heck, if they served the 2014 menu for $67, I'd go back! But how it is now, no, it's not worth it.
I agree, it's not worth it. The veggie option was terrible I got this past marathon weekend, I only ate like two bites. It was really weird. Do they change the menu very often?

Amazing to think that back when it opened in 2012, the braised pork lunch entree (one of my favorites, even if salty) was $9.59. And the most expensive thing on the lunch menu was $10.79 Factoring in inflation, that translates to $14.50.

I would truly like to understand the calculations/decision-making that goes into planning & opening a WDW restaurant....and then constantly modifying the menu and pricing to create the piles of expensive mediocrity that WDW is so full of.

1692095694104.png

I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. It might be ok because it's in DS but catering to the average American doesn't give me a lot of confidence in how good it'll be 😂
Her Nashville restaurant is Indian with a southern US twist. Kinda hoping they don’t bring that menu here. I don’t have high hopes for it no matter the menu considering we have amazing non-theme park Indian food all over central FL, but I’ll try it.

SAFD: My want-to-try pick could be a lot of options, but probably Spice Road Table. I love the idea of lots of small plates/sampler platters of more exotic fare.

My pick for most pleasant surprise is definitely Sanaa. We were wandering around the AK Villas one day around lunchtime and decided at the last minute to see if they had any walk-up availability. They did, and it was an amazing meal. We definitely plan to head back sometime in the next trip or two.

As an inspirational aside, the latest Marathon Maniacs newsletter had a profile of a runner who just completed her 100th 100 miler! It really puts a challenge like Dopey in perspective, to think she's done two Dopeys in one day, 100 times! She's also 50+, and as a fellow 50+ runner, it's awesome to see runners still crushing it at the masters level. I'm going to remember her when my next 20-miler seems too tough! :worship:

SAFD: There are still sooooooo many restaurants that I have not gotten to try, it's literally overwhelming to think about this question. But, I am trying to get Roundup Rodeo BBQ at Wine & Dine in November because I just love Toy Story so much and I don't care if the food tastes like paper honestly. Lol. I am also adding Skipper Canteen to this list as a goal for the November trip. I'm taking notes from this thread for MW.

My pleasant surprise would have to be Teppan Edo. I wanted a good, carb-heavy, sit-down lunch on Thursday of MW this past January and was kind of striking out in Epcot with reservations. I walked through Japan to get some sushi but the QS place had a line about a mile long, so I decided to just see if Teppan Edo had any walk-up availability. I waited 5 minutes! That whole meal was just wonderful and exactly what I needed in that moment. A great WDW memory for me.

rfd
I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. It might be ok because it's in DS but catering to the average American doesn't give me a lot of confidence in how good it'll be 😂

Let's hope she doesn't cater to the average Brit. 😅 Sorry UK, I love you guys, but your Indian food is really bad!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter