Marathon Weekend 2024

SAFD: If I start questioning the rationale for why I run, the whole thing will fall apart.....

I know why I started running: Improve my fitness, have an excuse to go to Disney.
I know why I kept running: I liked the sense of accomplishment of finding a goal, training and reaching it, and I was "age-group" good at it.

But weirdly, I cannot find an easy answer as to why I'm still running. It's not really about the accomplishment anymore--I feel as though I have nothing to prove to myself. It's not about mental health or weight management (not that an aging body doesn't need it) It's partly the idea of "structured fitness"--training for something means I have a routine to follow. There just isn't an overriding factor that stands out.

I guess right now I do it because I can. Maybe it's best not to overthink it.

SAFD: If I start questioning the rationale for why I run, the whole thing will fall apart.....

I know why I started running: Improve my fitness, have an excuse to go to Disney.
I know why I kept running: I liked the sense of accomplishment of finding a goal, training and reaching it, and I was "age-group" good at it.

But weirdly, I cannot find an easy answer as to why I'm still running. It's not really about the accomplishment anymore--I feel as though I have nothing to prove to myself. It's not about mental health or weight management (not that an aging body doesn't need it) It's partly the idea of "structured fitness"--training for something means I have a routine to follow. There just isn't an overriding factor that stands out.

I guess right now I do it because I can. Maybe it's best not to overthink it.
I agree with both not overthinking it and because you can. So many people don't or can't. I'm going to keep doing it while I can and make the most of it until then. I have plenty I can do once I'm not able to run.

SAFD: So many good answers have been said already, and they apply to me as well - better physical AND mental health, a sense of accomplishment, needing goals, etc. They're all really good reasons to keep on going.

I saw an academic study a few weeks back finding that active people tend to elevate the activity level of those people in their social circle, and that's definitely been the case for me. I've helped so many friends and family train for and run their first races, and it's been such a fulfilling experience being there to see someone do something they didn't think was possible. A few years back I got to run Boston with one of my brothers, and just this past year with two members of my running club for their first Bostons. I got to finish with my wife for her first marathon, and the same with my son. I've run races with my daughters, too, and been proud to see all the kids live healthier lives as they grow into adulthood. So that's probably my favorite reason to run right now - to be part of this awesome community of runners and try to give a little back.

Question for those who stayed at CBR for MW. For spectators that want to head to the finish line at Epcot, do they just jump on one of the race buses? My family wants to head to the finish for the marathon, but they don't want to go until around 8am. Since it is a Skyliner resort, my assumption is that they don't have regular buses going to the front of Epcot. What is the best plan for a spectator to get to the finish line from CBR?

Question for those who stayed at CBR for MW. For spectators that want to head to the finish line at Epcot, do they just jump on one of the race buses? My family wants to head to the finish for the marathon, but they don't want to go until around 8am. Since it is a Skyliner resort, my assumption is that they don't have regular buses going to the front of Epcot. What is the best plan for a spectator to get to the finish line from CBR?

I can’t speak for CBR, but I assume it’s like the other resorts. For the last couple of marathons, I tend to finish a couple of hours before others in my group. I’ll catch the bus to the hotel to shower and change, and then get back on the bus to cheer at the finish line. The drop off location is I think the same as race morning, so there’s a hike to the finish line.

Recheck your flight price if you're flying Southwest -- I was able to rebook today and got a bunch of points back.

Yes, they'd need to take the race bus unless they wanted to walk through Epcot. The buses stop around the start of the race and then start back up once the runners clear. This year the transportation gap was 4:30-6:30. Based on timing, that shouldn't impact your spectators but it's worth mentioning.

SAFD: Started running to run with Disney! First started training to be ready for a Castaway Cay 5K on a planned Disney Cruise vacation. Once I finished that first race and got my hands on that first vinyl medal, I knew I had to go the distance to see how far I could go and quickly progressed to my first Dopey Challenge. Grateful for running as it continues to keep me active, focused, and reminds me of the tremendous things I'm capable of. The growing medal collection isn't bad either! Will keep on going as long as my body allows me to.

SAFD: Started with wanting to get back in shape after too many years of bad eating habits and lack of exercise due to business travel. My first goal was to run the WDW Half. I can't really add much to what everyone else has said - but staying in shape, beer, food, MEDALS! and of course, an excuse to run through the parks are why I run today.

SAFD:
Good Morning runDisney All-Stars! It is time for this week’s SAFD; here is today’s question: What do you do to stay motivated during a tough run?

My answer: I aproach my longer runs with a bit of a plan of attack should things begin going south on me. On a basic level I do they to always remind myself that I have had to sit out from running for more than a year before due to injury and pretty much that entire time I missed running terribly and vowed that I would never forget that feeling on days when running is not fun. Hence my motto: I don’t have to, I get to. But being honest, there are days when the whole positivity will win out thing goes right out the window - this is generally when I have many miles to go, it is getting too hot for me and the sun is trying to bake me like a potato! In those cases I pull out a podcast that I am excited to listen to our my best playlist. Both of those things tend to help me get my mind off the moment. If that fails also, then I take a break and walk for a bit and try to collect myself, maybe shift my intervals and try to focus on shorter benchmarks - i.e. just keep going for two sets of intervals, ok, now do two more and so on. Between breaks, music, or a good crime/animal attack podcast I do tend to forget and before I know it I am done. Eager to hear what you all do though!

SAFD: if I think a run is going to be tough, like my under-trained virtual half yesterday, I like to do it on an out-and-back route so I only have to stay motivated enough to get to the halfway point—then, run, walk, or crawl, I’ll be getting my distance because it’s the only way to get back to my car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter