Marathon Weekend 2024

SAFD: haven’t started focusing on marathon weekend yet but spent the summer training to attempt a POT at a half in 2 weeks 🤞
GOOD LUCK!

SAFD: Official training hasn’t started yet but I’ve been running all summer. I’ve been focusing on low HR runs and I’ve managed to improve a bit. Then almost two weeks ago I rolled my ankle which has set me back. I’ve gone back on the road my last three runs and I can tell it’s going to be an issue for the foreseeable future so I’m just going to have to manage it. It’s a bummer because I felt really good about going into dopey training this year.

Hello everyone again... Haven't engaged the DIS in a while, but training is about to get real, and I'm gonna try to check in regularly to keep an anchor point.

So out of curiosity, who is running for frolic and fun, and who has the big, hairy, audacious goal glaring down at them?

And who still tries to piece together a costume of sorts for a goal race?
F&F FTW! Costume IS my goal for the race lol!

SAFD: Well, I’ve got the W&D triple-header first, and that was feeling very out of reach until recently - dealing with a host of age-related issues that have made distance running feel impossible. I managed to get through 8 miles with a lot of pain the next day a couple weeks ago and thought my days of anything over a 10K are over… but then had a really good 6+ miles yesterday, so IDK. On paper, I’ve got a 2/9 b2b next weekend, so we’ll see how that goes, I guess.

My MW training has already started, in that it is and will be a continuation of my MCM training which (IMHO) is already way behind due to the pinched nerve and now the Morton’s. Grrr.
The pinched nerve is behind me, more or less, leaving the Morton’s as my villain now.
I don’t know that I will get an opportunity to run tomorrow, so I tried to run today, and was forwarded by a flareup of the Morton’s, so I put ice on it, then will regroup and re-attack either tomorrow or Wednesday

SAFD: Training is going great. The goal for any Disney race has always been to finish and have fun in the process, so I just need to keep up my base mileage into January. So far, so good. Now if I can just stay uninjured, that would be nice too! I did a trail run yesterday to scout out the course for a local 12-hour trail race at the end of the month, and of course I tripped over a root right before the end and bruised my left side pretty good. I need to stop signing up for trail races; I lack the coordination for anything more complicated than shuffling along paved surfaces. I blame my run club; they're definitely a bad influence! :P

SAFD: I'm still in "base training" for a couple more weeks, and then will be jumping in to Dopey training. I'm really close to my plan of getting into the 20mpw range before the hard work starts, which is about 2/3 of what my peak week will be during Dopey training, so I'm feeling good about that. The goal is always to finish AND be a functional person the next day.

SAFD: I'm still in "base training" for a couple more weeks, and then will be jumping in to Dopey training. I'm really close to my plan of getting into the 20mpw range before the hard work starts, which is about 2/3 of what my peak week will be during Dopey training, so I'm feeling good about that. The goal is always to finish AND be a functional person the next day.
Exactly!

SAFD: I'm very happy I decided against my third Dopey in a row this year. I really wanted a break from marathon training this year, and even though I'm doing 5K/10K/Half at MW and all three races at DL I'm able to ease back into running after all the chaos of the last few months. I am following the 19 week (iirc) Galloway half marathon plan, which is just three days a week. I'm only a few weeks in, and my LR yesterday was just 3 miles but I was pleasantly surprised to do most of it at an easy run pace without needing to use run/walk intervals.

SAFD: I'm very happy I decided against my third Dopey in a row this year. I really wanted a break from marathon training this year, and even though I'm doing 5K/10K/Half at MW and all three races at DL I'm able to ease back into running after all the chaos of the last few months. I am following the 19 week (iirc) Galloway half marathon plan, which is just three days a week. I'm only a few weeks in, and my LR yesterday was just 3 miles but I was pleasantly surprised to do most of it at an easy run pace without needing to use run/walk intervals.
All good to hear.

You raise an interesting question about a 3-race challenge of the 5/10/half. Doing those three without the full marathon is a lot more manageable, and allows one to better enjoy Saturday afternoon and Sunday in the parks.

I'm not sure what character would go best with that challenge medal, but I'd be down for it.

My MW training has already started, in that it is and will be a continuation of my MCM training which (IMHO) is already way behind due to the pinched nerve and now the Morton’s.
I hope it works out, and good luck at MCM! It is starting to feel real!

All good to hear.

You raise an interesting question about a 3-race challenge of the 5/10/half. Doing those three without the full marathon is a lot more manageable, and allows one to better enjoy Saturday afternoon and Sunday in the parks.

I'm not sure what character would go best with that challenge medal, but I'd be down for it.

This is also my theory, and I hope we're right! I'm staying at Bay Lake and plan to get up and spectate as much of the marathon as I can, so watch for me at that corner to MK on the course. I'll have to come up with some good signs.

I've seen a few others refer to doing the first three races as the Grumpy Challenge (as in, I'm grumpy because all I hear about is Dopey yet I'm one race short). So I've been calling my effort to do 3 at each the Double Grumpy.

SAFD: I started building my base back up (very slowly) at the beginning of June with interval running. I injured my IT band in my left knee during the marathon doing Goofy in January and took many months completely off of running to let it heal. I reduced my walk intervals in June and July slowly until I could run full mileage again and was up to 6 miles on 8/26 before taking a week off to compete in a week-long softball tournament. Today was a very easy 3 miles and I'm ramping back up to 6 by Saturday so I can increase from there. So, the week off kind of set me back a bit but I feel like I have plenty of time to get to Dopey. I'm already way ahead of last year's Goofy training where I didn't start running period until around now. I'm treating W&D triple-header and a two-race challenge (10K and half) in Dallas in December as training mileposts for Dopey. Fingers crossed that I can remain injury free and complete Dopey (and then all three races for DL)!

This is also my theory, and I hope we're right! I'm staying at Bay Lake and plan to get up and spectate as much of the marathon as I can, so watch for me at that corner to MK on the course. I'll have to come up with some good signs.

I've seen a few others refer to doing the first three races as the Grumpy Challenge (as in, I'm grumpy because all I hear about is Dopey yet I'm one race short). So I've been calling my effort to do 3 at each the Double Grumpy.
It could be the Happy challenge because you don’t have to run the marathon.

SAFD: I started building my base back up (very slowly) at the beginning of June with interval running. I injured my IT band in my left knee during the marathon doing Goofy in January and took many months completely off of running to let it heal. I reduced my walk intervals in June and July slowly until I could run full mileage again and was up to 6 miles on 8/26 before taking a week off to compete in a week-long softball tournament. Today was a very easy 3 miles and I'm ramping back up to 6 by Saturday so I can increase from there. So, the week off kind of set me back a bit but I feel like I have plenty of time to get to Dopey. I'm already way ahead of last year's Goofy training where I didn't start running period until around now. I'm treating W&D triple-header and a two-race challenge (10K and half) in Dallas in December as training mileposts for Dopey. Fingers crossed that I can remain injury free and complete Dopey (and then all three races for DL)!
Amen about trying to stay injury free. Good luck with it.

It could be the Happy challenge because you don’t have to run the marathon.
I hear you on the Happy, but the Grumpy sure suits curmudgeonly me....

Anyone else got a name/character suggestion?

And I like Happy because it better suits my positive attitude! May have to change my signature, but I'll await the outcome of this discussion.

Sleepy Challenge—you’re skipping the marathon to avoid getting up early one more day?

In my case, no. I plan to spectate for the full and MAY even try and make it to the meetup! IIRC rD has sold shirts for the Sleepy Challenge meant for family not doing the races at all, so good call.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter