Marathon Weekend 2024

My one running injury actually happened in my first marathon, my first Dopey, MW 2022. Everything went fine with the 5k,10k, and half. Nothing hurting. Then comes marathon day. About 4 miles in I get this excruciating pain running down the outside of my left knee. I try to run through it for the next couple of miles, then around mile 8 I text my wife and tell her I don't know if I am going to be able to finish the run. I make it to the half way mark and stop at the medical tent. They wrapped up my knee as tight as they could and off I went. I ended up having to run for a mile or two, then walk for about 5 minutes, rinse and repeat. But I made it through. Turns out it was my IT band screaming at me. After coming home MW, I essentially had to stop running for about a month. I was going to run a local marathon a month later, but ended up not doing it because of my IT band. Did a bunch of research of what causes IT band issues and went to work on strengthening the area. Paid off this last year in MW as I completed Dopey with no issues and haven't had any issues since then.

SAFD: I’ve actually never had an injury from running, but Ive had to deal with injuries while running. For a number of years, being put in the wrong running shoe caused ongoing ITBS issues and it was beyond awful: nothing fixed it until I ignored all the well-meant advice and started trying things on my own - that’s how I finally figured out it was stability shoes causing the issue. I broke a toe whilst cleaning and had to figure out how to get through the rest of training and Dopey weekend with that - I taped it up and gritted out the pain. I have chronic pain from autoimmune and degenerative diseases: running mostly helps with that, but can sometimes be difficult. I recently had horrific pain all through my hip and leg that I thought was an injury, but turned out to be nerve impingement: can’t be corrected in my case, PT did nothing because it has nothing to do with muscle weakness, but I’m now finally on a med that’s making a huge difference.

I guess how I deal with anything causing pain is find what’s causing the issue, fix it if it can be fixed, push through it if there is no fix and pushing won’t make it worse, and remind myself that running is something I get to do, not something I have to do. I have no way of proving it, but I feel sure that consistently running for 40+ years plus a regular schedule of strength training helps prevent the more common injuries that seem to plague runners.

SAFD: I always have an injury of some sort and 99.999999% of them have nothing to do with running. I am clumsy and just have bad luck. I suggest you don’t do what I do and run anyway 🫣 My latest injury is piriformis syndrome (causing shooting pain down the back of my leg and it radiates to my lower back) from helping my daughter paint her senior parking spot. Sitting on asphalt hunched over painting for 3 days did me in. I have had it before and I’ve been doing my PT exercises and it gets better until something aggravates it. I was in the car for 7 hours hauling a horse yesterday and I am paying dearly for it now 😭

SAFD: The worst injury I ever had was a strained achilles, caused by running in Newtons (shoes that force you to land on your forefoot). I had been convinced that landing on my forefoot was the "most natural" way to run (and it may be for a lot of people, just not me!).
I am beyond grateful that this injury 10 years ago led me to my sports chiro guy, because he has helped me so much over the years with both injury recovery, and injury prevention. There have been lots of nagging things over the years (current issue is high hamstring injury) - most of the time I'm able to keep running thru these aches and pains, as long as they don't get worse. Like an old car I require a lot of maintenance these days - foam rolling, theragun-ing, stretching, icing, etc!

SAFD: Dopey 2022 started training in September and from a couch potato. After my 20 mile run in December I tore my meniscus from overtraining. Orthopedic Dr. was awesome, said as long as it doesn’t lock up keep going, gave me a cortisone shot, told me to wear a brace, and take IBU. Daughter and I finished with some pretty awesome times. It hurt like hell at the end of the marathon but it worked. Gave it two months after the race and it healed on its own. One awesome Dr.

Now I’m dealing with some Achilles tendinitis. Prior runners life I’ve always had some issues with the right side because of a funky foot motion. Sleeping with a Strassburg sock at night helps to at least training. PS… wore the new Saucony Endorphin Pro 3 in race two weeks ago and had zero pain. Very very comfortable shoe.

Dealing with it mentally? I hate quitting so I talk to myself a lot.

SAFD: I always have an injury of some sort and 99.999999% of them have nothing to do with running. I am clumsy and just have bad luck. I suggest you don’t do what I do and run anyway 🫣 My latest injury is piriformis syndrome (causing shooting pain down the back of my leg and it radiates to my lower back) from helping my daughter paint her senior parking spot. Sitting on asphalt hunched over painting for 3 days did me in. I have had it before and I’ve been doing my PT exercises and it gets better until something aggravates it. I was in the car for 7 hours hauling a horse yesterday and I am paying dearly for it now 😭
Maybe don't be holding the horse in your lap?

;-)

(Not making fun of your pain, just absurd mental pictures in my head....)

SAFD:
Good Morning runDisney All-Stars! Today’s question - A motto in running circles I have often heard is “It’s not if a runner will deal with an injury, but when a runner will deal with an injury”. Is this true for you? Have you had to deal with an injury, how did you deal with the mental side of the injury?

My answer: I have been running injury free for a few years now and have become convinced that run/walk is the secret for me. Unfortunately, it seems that the injury bug has found me. Late summer and now early fall I have been training for MCM and a few weeks ago I noticed some knee stiffness after runs. I kept running and the stiffness post runs became a little painful, then real pain…. So I stopped running and visited my PT, a quick exam and description of my symptoms he shared what I already knew he was going to say; I have runners knee and have to shut it down for two to four weeks. Oh, and I am only seven weeks out from MCM…. I am good with the physical plan, but I suck at the mental game. I look at every runner on the road and wish I was them. I plan out my scenarios and how I might manage to at least finish MCM. Oh, and I waste a lot of energy simply being frustrated. So I suppose I am not good at the mental side at all, but at least I am following my PT’s guidance (even if I am choosing to ignore the fact at 4 weeks I might learn it will be longer). Positives - Dopey is still a realistic objective, I can continue my strength training, walk and this is only a rest and recover injury; at least no surgery or long term recovery.
I've been running semi-regularly for 30+ years, but more seriously in the last several years.
Until recently my only injury was shin splints 14 years ago, which went away with taking a week off, plus investing in new, better shoes. ( I became a believer that that was money well spent!)
I also attributed being injury free to interval running and not over-training. I reference my tongue-in-cheek HARM method, but one feature of the shorter runs is minimal recovery and no injuries. I also don't push myself overly hard, which I mention because I have some very fast running friends who have been fast right up until injury sidelined them.
I would love to be a lot faster, but I also like being able to walk into work without issue the next day.

Until now, in which I've had two maladies hit me back to back.
The first was a searing pain down the front of my thigh, which I could have taken care of sooner had I gotten myself to PT sooner instead of self-diagnosing and thinking it would get better on its own. It turns out that all the stretching I was doing wasn't helping this situation. A month of PT and a new stretching and strengthening regimen, and that issue is (I hope) behind me.

The other issue is the Morton's neuroma which has been around for several years off and on but mostly as an occasional occurance, not to the extent as now.
Like Bree's comments about her own pains, I think that some of the (hobby related) work I've been doing on concrete floors has aggravated the Mortons. In addition to consciously making sure I don't further aggravate it further, a new pair of walking-around shoes, plus two pairs of Hokas has allowed me to resume MCM training, with hopes that the maladies remain at bay long enough to complete the race.
I'll probably try a cortizone shot as well, to see if that helps reduce the inflammation.

Mentally: I was going batty with not running and obsessing over how much training time had lost. OTOH, after only 2-3 weeks I'm back to decent run times.
IMHO, follow your PT's guidance with an eye on the long-term gains. Hopefully you'll recover to the point of being able to do the MCM, but if not, keep an eye on MW. Otherwise, if you overdo it, it might impact both events.
That's my 2-cents. Good luck.

SAFD: I guess on dealing with an injury while running/after a run that was a non running injury, it would be my achilles. Tore my achilles around 10 years ago playing in a men's baseball league. Even though it has been 10 years, I still get the reminder every morning after a long run. First step off the bed is usually a really tight feeling in my achilles and up my calf. As the day goes on, it loosens up, but I know live with the fact that the mornings are going to include some tightness and slow walking to get going.

SAFD: I've been running with on and off injuries for the last 4 years. First it was ITBS, and now it's a really really slow healing high hamstring tendinopathy that I've had since January. My PT clears me for running as long as I do all my strenghtening exercices on my posterior chain muscles. It doesn't really affect my running but it's annoying as heck. I've tried not running for a few weeks and it doesn't get better, so I just keep on keeping on.

SAFD: Ah injuries, I know them. From my very first as a runner (ITB issue) to others caused by running (stress fractures) and even non-running ones that have disrupted my running (cervical disc issue, bike accident). If I was to look back and determine how much time was spent injured vs non.......I won't because it may be too depressing.

How do I deal with them mentally? Swearing, some tears, frustration to start with. Followed by trying to root cause the running ones so they don't happen again. I rarely, if ever, have gotten the same injury twice though (hence, the frustration). Now that I am in the "post-PR/race" phase of my running career, I can be slightly more relaxed if/when an injury occurs since an injury--and the time off/rehab required to treat--doesn't derail some training plan I have lots invested in. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't still get frustrated. When you put in the work to try and keep your body in running shape and it still doesn't always work, for reasons you can't figure out?.....that's frustrating.

What a coincidence that after a long break, I come back and SAFD is related to injury (one of the reasons I've been away)
SAFD:
Good Morning runDisney All-Stars! Today’s question - A motto in running circles I have often heard is “It’s not if a runner will deal with an injury, but when a runner will deal with an injury”. Is this true for you? Have you had to deal with an injury, how did you deal with the mental side of the injury?
I've dealt with injuries on and off pretty much since I started running again in 2020. First I got runner's knee during Wine and Dine in 2021, after a lot of work getting that sorted out, I dealt with random IT band issues while training for Dopey 2023. Now, I got my SI joint out of sorts, and had to bail out of running a half a couple of weeks ago (hey, I guess at least I'm learning to listen to my body?).
I'm trying to figure out *why* my body keeps doing this, since I'm not planning on stopping. I'm hoping the SI issue is solved so that I can actually train for Dopey.
Edit: I missed the mental side. Mentally, I hate it. Which is why I've always pushed through the pain (not only in running, but back when I danced as well). I'm finally at a stage where I've realized I need to listen to my body. I try to find other things to occupy me, since I'm not great at not being busy.

My answer: I have been running injury free for a few years now and have become convinced that run/walk is the secret for me. Unfortunately, it seems that the injury bug has found me. Late summer and now early fall I have been training for MCM and a few weeks ago I noticed some knee stiffness after runs. I kept running and the stiffness post runs became a little painful, then real pain…. So I stopped running and visited my PT, a quick exam and description of my symptoms he shared what I already knew he was going to say; I have runners knee and have to shut it down for two to four weeks. Oh, and I am only seven weeks out from MCM…. I am good with the physical plan, but I suck at the mental game. I look at every runner on the road and wish I was them. I plan out my scenarios and how I might manage to at least finish MCM. Oh, and I waste a lot of energy simply being frustrated. So I suppose I am not good at the mental side at all, but at least I am following my PT’s guidance (even if I am choosing to ignore the fact at 4 weeks I might learn it will be longer). Positives - Dopey is still a realistic objective, I can continue my strength training, walk and this is only a rest and recover injury; at least no surgery or long term recovery.
Having dealt with runner's knee, my case did not solve itself by just taking a break from running. I ended up having quite a few sessions of ultrasound on my knee, along with exercises. I hope in 4 weeks you get the all clear to run and it's pain free!

SAFD: Ah injuries, I know them. From my very first as a runner (ITB issue) to others caused by running (stress fractures) and even non-running ones that have disrupted my running (cervical disc issue, bike accident). If I was to look back and determine how much time was spent injured vs non.......I won't because it may be too depressing.

How do I deal with them mentally? Swearing, some tears, frustration to start with. Followed by trying to root cause the running ones so they don't happen again. I rarely, if ever, have gotten the same injury twice though (hence, the frustration). Now that I am in the "post-PR/race" phase of my running career, I can be slightly more relaxed if/when an injury occurs since an injury--and the time off/rehab required to treat--doesn't derail some training plan I have lots invested in. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't still get frustrated. When you put in the work to try and keep your body in running shape and it still doesn't always work, for reasons you can't figure out?.....that's frustrating.
There’s the thing: here we are trying to stay active and stay healthy, and we wind up with injuries from trying to do so. It just ain’t right

My wife and I just finished a half for PoT towards Marathon Weekend but we only ran a just under a 12 min / mile pace. Should we select less that 4:30 time so we can post our PoT? Or just select our projected time? We were hoping we just don't end up in the last wave for the marathon. Which option give us better odds?

My wife and I just finished a half for PoT towards Marathon Weekend but we only ran a just under a 12 min / mile pace. Should we select less that 4:30 time so we can post our PoT? Or just select our projected time? We were hoping we just don't end up in the last wave for the marathon. Which option give us better odds?

If you ran a half at just under 12 min/mile, it would put you at finishing in around 2:36. That would predict a marathon finish at 5:26. I’d say select that for your projected time, since you don’t have a qualifying proof of time.

@Zutroy is correct, you should select the finish time that best reflects your abilities. If you select 4:30 or less and then provide a PoT that doesn’t correlate, that’s when you risk getting put in the last corral as “punishment.”

Also just a reminder to everyone that the PoT deadline is next Tuesday. Make sure to double/triple/quadruple check your race registration beforehand.

SAFD: Regarding injuries, I'm 53, so something is always a little sore or achy or whatever. Most of my running buddies are in the 45+ group, with one in his 60's, and we joke that as long as the limb is still attached, it's fine. At this point, I just ignore it and keep running. It usually goes away after a few days. I hate to miss more than a day or two. I had to miss a week earlier this year due to a surgery unrelated to running, and it drove me bonkers. I did a little time on the spin bike in the basement and walked as much as I could, but it was a relief to finally get back out there running. My mom ran her first half marathon in her 70's, so hopefully longevity and injury-resistance is in my genes!

QHave you had to deal with an injury, how did you deal with the mental side of the injury?

SAFD: I was diagnosed with a hip stress fracture last year, first notable injury of any kind other than some on again/off again plantar fasciitis which I mainly ignore. It took over a month of the pain getting progressively worse to even go to a doc, but I finally conceded - something just wasn’t right and it wasn’t getting any better. Doc was like ‘if you don’t take this seriously you’re in for a lifetime of trouble’ which pretty much had me spooked. Stress fractures, as I learned, have symptoms similar to other things and I will forever be thankful for this doc being ‘aggressive’ in doing what she needed to do to get an MRI ordered (and approved by insurance, the key part) and it properly diagnosed quickly.

When cleared to run that’s when I started working with a coach - he was confident he could get me ready for Dopey so ‘in coach I trust’ was my mental state last fall. Honestly I needed third party confirmation that I could/should even be attempting such a thing, so for me that part was huge. My training at the time was mostly run/walk intervals and frankly some frustratingly long walking parts at first, but I credit that slow build up to being key to recovery.

I still get spooked every time I feel the slightest of things, which seems more and more common the older I get, but knock on wood, so far so good.

Side note, AP resort discounts dropped today that cover Marathon weekend. Shockingly my dates/resort weren't blacked out so was able to save a bit. If you have an AP and are staying on site, probably worth checking
What's the easiest way to book the AP discount if you already have reservations? Just book a new one and cancel the old one?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter