Marathon Weekend 2024

SAFD: When training for Dopey I’m terrible at cross training due to the sheer mileage/ time commitments. But in a non Dopey year, (like this one) I usually alternate running days with gym days where I will include stationary bike with light to moderate weight lifting. im usually doing 3 days a week of running and 3 days at the gym (with a rest day or very easy run thrown in for day 7).

SAFD: I finally decided to take cross training and strength training seriously when I started my training block for my HM this past June. It paid huge dividends so I’m back prioritizing it for Goofy training. I row one day a week and strength train 2 days a week. Nothing too major, 20 minute sessions but I’m sticking with it so that’s a win!

SAFD: Like I so many others here, I recognize that cross-training is an essential part of a healthy and effective training program, but I just never do it. Just no time right now. I really, really miss cycling (see my username, picked WAY back when my bikes weren't gathering dust in the garage), and I'm looking forward to retirement in a few years when I can dust off the bikes (like any proper cycling addict, I have a bunch) and get back out there. I also vow to hit the gym more. Right now, it's just running for me, but I hope to change that in the future.

SAFD: If Peloton counts I ride twice a week in addition to running. But as far as strength training or other workouts, I’m bad at it. My coach will occasionally add a strength training workout to my schedule which I promptly ignore. In a perfect world I’d love to do them, but I consider it a win to get the runs and rides in and pretty maxed out on time for much else while juggling life’s various other needs. Maybe someday…

Last edited:

SAFD: I do 10-30 minutes of strength/core/Pilates most days after my run, but I don't really consider that cross-training so much as part of my overall running training. (And since I made my own training plan, it really is in there right next to the run for the day!) I would call things like cycling or swimming or elliptical cross-training, and I don't do those except occasionally biking as a means of transportation.

SAFD: I’ve been going to a Bootcamp class twice a week for months. It’s not a HIIT style class but more of a functional strength training class that hits arms, legs, and some core. Afterwards I can go out and get in my scheduled easy walks or treadmill incline workouts. I won’t lie and say I make it to every class and if something has to get missed it will be the Bootcamp rather than the walk. But I’m finding as training goes on it really is helping. I’m starting a new core program next week as I need help in that area, so hopefully that will help too.

SAFD: I mostly came into long distance running through triathlon, and even when I'm training for "just" a marathon I still work swimming and cycling into my weekly workouts. I believe in active recovery rather than just completely taking a day off, as I find that an easy swim or spin helps my body feel better when I'm building my run mileage. I feel like I would get burned out and/or injured if all I did was run.

SAFD: ten years ago I was sidelined for two years with an injury so now I prioritize cross training. I run three days a week, strength train with Peloton two days a week and yoga with Peloton once a week. I like the strength because when I can lift heavy, it makes me feel like a bada**. I worked with a strength coach before who said don’t be afraid of lifting heavy, it’ll make you stronger and faster on long runs.

SAFD: I spent an awful lot of time bemoaning my lack of cross training, til I decided to consider the 2-50 minute Vinyasa sessions I do each week to be my cross training, along with the occasional "mat-only" restorative sessions. It's a combo of strength and stretching, so that has to help. Also, I have typically walked each day with the dog, but sadly he is really unable to do this anymore.

Occasionally if I am injured and can't run, I will put my bike on the trainer and ride. But it's so boring that I tend to max out after 1 hour (no matter what I stream)

I tell my spouse similar, except usually it's bus driver. I should aim a little higher 🙃
I've wanted to drive a Disney bus since my first trip to WDW as a kid in 1992. I still want to drive a Disney bus someday! :confused3 :laughing:

As for cross-training, I was doing Orangetheory 3x a week earlier this year. I put it on freeze, it came off of freeze and I still need to go back. I got sick with the cold that's going around and so it's thrown everything off the last week and a half (so far). I do Zumba twice a week; I kept that up while I had OTF on freeze since it's at a different gym.

SAFD: Add me to the long list of people who have already answered who acknowledge that cross-training is a good thing but still do not do it. I just don't have time. I'm lucky enough to get my 4 runs in a week right now and I can't imagine trying to add more exercise to my life right now. I should start doing some core work to help with my back problem and I used to do a 2 or 3-minute plank every evening. I need to build back up to that.

SAFD:

Good morning runDisney All-Stars! It is time for Sunday’s are for Disney. For today’s question it is time to talk about cross-training. Do you do it? What do you do? Is it a foreign concept for you? Or are you somewhere in the middle?
I've always intended on cross-training, but then life would always get in the way. I found to be the same with the exercises I get from physio - I get better from whatever injury while I'm doing them, stop doing them because I feel fine and I don't have time, and get injured again. Rinse and repeat. So for this training cycle for Dopey, I dropped down to 4 days a week of running, with one day dedicated to strength and mobility work. I'm hoping I'll have better luck and will be able to avoid injury.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter