Marathon Weekend 2024

SAFD: I have my last long run today, which will be on the treadmill. The wind is whipping outside and buffeting my house. I already did a really windy run Thursday so I’m doing this one inside. I’ll grab a Hallmark movie and get going at some point this morning.

I don’t know if I have a taper because I’m still doing speed work over Christmas, but I won’t hit this long a mileage until Disneyland.

SAFD: I am scheduled for my peak mileage week (~58 miles) this week, with my longest run (19 miles) next weekend. Then I fall off to 47 and 38 miles. Then I'm off two of the three days before Dopey begins.

Unfortunately, I have a toenail issue that I likely need to take care of this week. That might impact one or two runs. Luckily I have a flexible podiatrist who is a friend/acquaintance who can squeeze me in.

SAFD: Due to the injury I recently had, I don't think there is really going to be a taper. I lost a week of running, which conditioning wise was not that big of a deal. But those calories....LOL. Also, I need to build strength back up in that leg. So I am easing back into a long distance with the healing injury. I am hoping to get in one really long run on Christmas Eve morning. Then take it down to small runs until we leave on the 30th. Then I will go out for one last ran on New Years Day while everyone else is sleeping in. Then take the next couple of days off until that Thursday.

SAFD: I sort of taper? I’m doing the 10k and full, with the 10k as my last run before the full. I only do two weekday runs of 5-6 miles each anyway, so no change to that schedule. I increase my long runs by one mile each week, so yesterday was 18 and the next two 19 and 20. That leaves me with just the weekend before and I’ll do 13. My weekly mileage peaks at 30, which is often the taper for others, but it works for me 🤷‍♀️

SAFD: Goofy sim next weekend 10/20 then taper! I will do 12 the following weekend, then 8, then race weekend!
But for me taper madness is a real thing. I get anxious, over focused on every little pain, worry too much about weight gain with all the good meals and treats I am eating around the holidays
This is me 100%! Even though I am tapering, I will continue to run some, just cutting back on mileage.

SAFD:

The taper can not come soon enough. I have been building and building for what seems like forever.

Last week was a peak week. This week is a down week. Next week will be the last peek week for me (approx 9 hours of running). Then we will go into the glorious taper.

The taper will be a week of 10ks with some speed work and then the next week will take out half those 10ks and replace them with 5ks. During the week of race bib pickup I will not run. I will be pounding the pavement in the parks.

See you all real soon!

I managed 4 miles on Thur, then 5 miles on Fri, but it poured all yesterday, and too cold, windy, and rainy for a long run today. So I'll be back out for 4-5 mile neighborhood runs tomorrow and this week. I'll keep doing regular runs through the 28th, and then have a forced taper as we head out of town for several days, and I won't get to run again until Jan 2nd. So maybe a run on Jan 2nd or 3rd, and then it's head down to Orlando on the 4th. Maybe work and weather will allow for a few miles on the 4th before I start driving. After that, I'll get my steps in going to the Expo and to the HH meetup.

SAFD: The good part about doing W&D weekend and not doing Dopey is I’ve primarily been in maintenance mode for the last month. Since I have no time goal, I’m just doing my normal training schedule with no extremely long runs but also no taper as a result. I’ll get back into serious training in February as I’m targeting a half in May as my POT for Dopey 2025.

I feel like someone in here will know the answer to this. 1/1 and 1/8 have extended evening hours for deluxe resort guests at Epcot. Is the VQ for that considered to be separate from "regular park hours"? Basically, can we get a VQ for regular park hours, and then a 2nd one when they do the EEH? I'm trying to figure out if we may want to do $ILL for that ride.
We just got back and did EPCOT EEH on 12/6. We were able to get a VQ for GOTG twice - once at 7AM for 'regular' park hours and once in the evening for EEH. On the app, it said the VQ would open at 6PM for EEH, but right at that time, it said the VQ was already full, which seemed impossible - I was literally counting down the seconds at 5:59, and it went to full INSTANTLY. I thought it was another Disney IT glitch and kept re-checking the VQ on the app, and it suddenly opened up again for EEH guests at ~6:25. We were able to get into the VQ at that time and enjoyed riding GOTG for a second time that day.
Epcot EEH was otherwise a bust - Ratatouille was down the entire time, and Test Track went down less than an hour into the EEH time. Gran Fiesta in Mexico was also down/closed for most of the EEH time, even though it's listed as an EEH attraction. With three of the bigger attractions down for most of the EEH, most everything else had a big line, and there wasn't much else to do, since all of the shops and food booths were closed. Overall, a disappointing experience for us.

SAFD: My taper is supposed to start after my last long run next Sunday. We're flying out to WDW on NYE and I don't expect to find the time to run at all before the 5k while we're on site

In other news, anyone else in their Ravenous Era? I've had my longest training runs ever in the past few weeks. I can tell cause I really have to watch what I eat or else I'd be snacking all day!

If anyone is still considering splitting a MM for race photos (I can also add you as a friend on MDE and grab park pics for you) I still have room at $10/space for the following:
3 5k bibs
1 10k bib
1 HM bib
3 Marathon bibs

We arrive on 12/31 and will be in the parks starting on 1/1. And I can email you zip file with all of your pics/video files starting on 1/10 (the day after we get home.) I'm also happy to send you some pics during the race weekend that don't have the watermark for your socials.

Last edited:
SAFD: My taper is supposed to start after my last long run next Sunday. We're flying out to WDW on NYE and I don't expect to find the time to run at all before the 5k while we're on site

In other news, anyone else in their Ravenous Era? I've had my longest training runs ever in the past few weeks. I can tell cause I really have to watch what I eat or else I'd be snacking all day!
Are you eating right after your runs? I found even though I wasn’t hungry after running, training for a half, I had to eat otherwise I’d eat half my pantry later in the day. I’d start with a protein bar and then try for some other healthy options. Otherwise I’d eat unhealthy food. Do you know how good a ham and cheese Hot Pocket tastes after a long run (or both from the box?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter