• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2025

I think there has been a big shift after 2020: more expensive, fewer vendors, cheaper quality. I also don’t consider characters to be entertainment, so the fact that now Donald is wearing an ultra-rare polka dot vest is completely lost on me. The 2019 Star Wars rival run to me is peak RunDisney. Great photo ops on the best course layout. The race started through the woods leading to Animal Kingdom where they had smoke machines and lasers, lots of Star Wars characters, music, etc.

1712067813063.jpeg

The #1 thing that keeps me running at WDW though are the rD friendships I’ve made. I have some running friends I wouldn’t ever get to see in person outside of race weekends, so even if I’m not racing, I’ll show up to spend time with them. I think these boards and other online media have made it so easy to maintain long distance friendships and ramp up the excitement for race weekends, and that’s a big part of what makes Disney races special. THAT hasn’t changed at all, IMO.

This right here!

>And also, it's OK to not go to the parks.
Wait, what?! I'm not sure this is correct....

As for rD not having any incentive to change things because the races sell out, I know. I do see that.

And I'll second all the comments about getting to know people on this forum and in person at the meetups. It does make the races that much more enjoyable.

OK, I could use some help. I know this has come up in the past, and now that it finally applies to me, I don't remember the answers:
I want to sign my son up for the half and myself for the Goofy. What is the best way to do this? Sign him up first and then myself, or have two computers ready to go? For the second option, I would think that I need a separate rD profile for him. Is that the case anyway? That I need to set up a profile for my son?

Thank you for any help on this.

That said, would it kill Disney to include a park ticket with a challenge, half, or marathon entry? It isn't as if we wouldn't make it up in merch or food.

This gets complicated when people already have some tickets, especially APs.

But of course, the bigger issue is just that they don't need to. People will buy the tickets! Heck, they don't even want to give them to their volunteers anymore.

This gets complicated when people already have some tickets, especially APs.

But of course, the bigger issue is just that they don't need to. People will buy the tickets! Heck, they don't even want to give them to their volunteers anymore.
I would even go so far as to say that when race weekends fall during busy WDW times, there’s an active incentive to discourage more runners/run-adjacent folks from being in the parks: WDW’s current MO is fewer folks in the parks spending more money per person. A runner spending 4 hours in a park, not buying much of anything, is worth less than a non-runner spending 12 hours and paying for multiple meals, merch, snacks, Genie, ILL, etc.

I think there has been a big shift after 2020: more expensive, fewer vendors, cheaper quality. I also don’t consider characters to be entertainment, so the fact that now Donald is wearing an ultra-rare polka dot vest is completely lost on me. The 2019 Star Wars rival run to me is peak RunDisney. Great photo ops on the best course layout. The race started through the woods leading to Animal Kingdom where they had smoke machines and lasers, lots of Star Wars characters, music, etc.

View attachment 847504
Yeah agreed on all of this. This race was great. There were stormtroopers at the runDisney merch entrance, bossing you around. The whole thing felt a bit more immersive. Loved that bit through the woods.

I want to sign my son up for the half and myself for the Goofy. What is the best way to do this? Sign him up first and then myself, or have two computers ready to go?

There is the option to register another runner (there will be a button at the bottom of the first page to do so) with your registration. However, keep in mind that neither registration is guaranteed until you are all paid and from listening to the buzz on several groups I suspect that Goofy is going to sell out FAST.

The other option is that, after you pay, the browser that you registered on will remain live. Go through your registration, pay for it, then go back in and register your son. I know that this was an option for me during Wine & Dine. I think I went back to the runDisney site, hit on the register now button, and it bypassed the queue and took me directly to the "choose an event" page.

For the second option, I would think that I need a separate rD profile for him. Is that the case anyway? That I need to set up a profile for my son?

The benefit of having a separate profile is that some of the information will be prepopulated. The downside is that Disney some times has glitches when logging in (or you have to get the verification code through your email) so you are adding another opportunity for Disney IT to suck.

>And also, it's OK to not go to the parks.
Wait, what?! I'm not sure this is correct....

As for rD not having any incentive to change things because the races sell out, I know. I do see that.

And I'll second all the comments about getting to know people on this forum and in person at the meetups. It does make the races that much more enjoyable.

OK, I could use some help. I know this has come up in the past, and now that it finally applies to me, I don't remember the answers:
I want to sign my son up for the half and myself for the Goofy. What is the best way to do this? Sign him up first and then myself, or have two computers ready to go? For the second option, I would think that I need a separate rD profile for him. Is that the case anyway? That I need to set up a profile for my son?

Thank you for any help on this.
Everything @sandam1 said, BUT when you register your son, use his info from his “my disney experience” account (the one you use for the parks, etc.). Spell his name exactly the same (not shortened or lengthened I.e. Dave/David), use the same email he uses for that account, and so on.

Interesting that the only magnets I see are in the weekend bundles (regular and passholder). LOVE the patches! If anybody wants bigger pics of anything, LMK.

Interesting that they DIDN'T include the 6.6% service fee in the prices.

if you include it, the prices come out to:

5k: $112.69
10k: $155.01 (rounding up on the thousandth's place...could be a flat $155)
HM: $224.01 (rounding up on the thousandth's place...could be a flat $224)
M: $226 (a DEAL at twice the miles of the half for only another $2!)
Goofy: $442
Dopey:
$688.01 (rounding up on the thousandth's place...could be a flat $688)

Last edited:
Interesting that they DIDN'T include the 6.6% service fee in the prices.

if you include it, the prices come out to:

5k: $112.69
10k: $155.01 (rounding up on the thousandth's place...could be a flat $155)
HM: $224.01 (rounding up on the thousandth's place...could be a flat $224)
M: $226 (a DEAL at twice the miles of the half for only another $2!)
Goofy: $442
Dopey: $688.01 (rounding up on the thousandth's place...could be a flat $688)

Screen Shot 2024-04-02 at 11.28.43 AM.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter