Mardi Gras 2023. Laissez les bon temps rouler (let the good times roll). Parades, King Cake, Cursed Club, Voodoo Dolls, Food, Rocket Ships and more

Saturday, February 11th continued

There is a lot of walking at he Space Center. There are wheelchairs and Electric Scooters for rental. I just returned home from another trip to KSC and my elderly dad was there for a visit. He rented a Scooter and had a wonderful time. I think the rental fee was $ 32.00. The buses do have lifts to accommodate the wheel chairs and Scooters.

Back to the Atlantis building. You could spend hours in this building. They have wonderful interactive things to do for children and adults. I will only be touching the surface of things to see in this building. I really want all of you who decide to go to KSC to be awed by the experience. It is something to see for sure.
IMG_5689.jpeg

IMG_0954.jpeg

IMG_7799.jpeg

The Atlantis Space Shuttle was the 5th shuttle constructed and the last to fly into Space. It did a great jog flying for 25 years on 33 missions.

There were 6 Space Shuttles in total.
IMG_7494.jpeg

The Enterprise. This ship was never flown into the space, but was used to help test the feasibility of a Spaceship landing like a glider.

It is on display at the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum in New York City.
IMG_7495.jpeg

The Columbia was the second Shuttle created and the first to fly into Space. The first flight was April 12, 1981. The Columbia flew 28 missions and was lost on reentry February 1, 2003
IMG_7496.jpeg

The Challengers first flight was April 4th 1983. It flew 10 missions and was lost on take off January 28, 1986.
IMG_7497.jpeg

Discovery’s first flight was August 30th 1984. It flew 39 missions and is on display at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum at the Udvar-Hazy Center in Northern VIrgina.
IMG_7498.jpeg

Atlantis first flight was October 3, 1985. It flew 33 missions and lucky for us is on display at Kennedy Space Center.
IMG_7499.jpeg

Endeavour first flight was May 7, 1992 and flew 25 missions and is on display at the California Science Center in Los Angeles.
IMG_7500.jpeg

Last edited:
Getting to see the Atlantis up close is pretty awesome.

IMG_7423.jpeg

IMG_7417.jpeg

IMG_7416.jpeg

IMG_7451.jpeg

IMG_7452.jpeg

IMG_7468.jpeg

When you think in terms of how fairly big the Shuttle is the majority of the ship is taken up with cargo space and the flight controls and living quarters are forward and behind the windows and on the next level underneath. It always seemed like a small space to live in, but when you look at how small the capsule is that is on top the rockets that get the Astronauts to the Space Station it must have felt very large.

To be continued

IMG_1417.gif

Last edited:

There are so many interactive things for children and adults in the Atlantis building. Some one asked me a while ago if there were enough things for children to do at KSC and yes there are.

There is a Shuttle Launch Experience ride inside the Atlantis building. I think this is the same one that used to be outside many years ago. People seem to enjoy doing this experience and it is very popular.

It is pretty interesting to know that there are so many parts to a Space Shuttle.
IMG_7460.jpeg

I had always wondered about the Sonic Booms you hear when the Shuttle’s would return and it was explained clearly.
IMG_1012.jpeg

IMG_1011.jpeg

There is an interactive spot on the floor upstairs that you can stand on to activate a Sonic Boom sound and the kids love to to stand on this. I like to stand on this a few times myself when I’am there :ssst:

It is always interesting to find out about how things we consider to be uncomplicated and normal have to be addressed in zero gravity in space like using the restroom.
IMG_7489.jpeg

And sleeping. They have to zip themselves into their sleeping bag on the wall in their area.
IMG_5718.jpeg

It is really cool to get look at the Astrovan up close that took the Astronauts to the Shuttle before lift off.
IMG_5731.jpeg

IMG_7491.jpeg

IMG_7493.jpeg

IMG_5732.jpeg

To be continued

IMG_5970.gif

To be continued

Last edited:

A little detour for shopping at KSC.

I always look for unique gifts for family and of course a few things to feed my KSC addiction.

This is a pop up book about Space, Space Ships and the Planets that I bought for my little 3 year old great-nephew and he loves it.
IMG_5565.jpeg

They have a fantastic assortment of pins for the collectors.
IMG_5564.jpeg

IMG_5563.jpeg
IMG_5559.jpeg

I really like my Space Pen.
IMG_5558.jpeg

The NASA laptop holder and sling bag are really nice.
IMG_5562.jpeg

IMG_5557.jpeg

These are fantastic to put in cup holders in your car. They absorb the condensation from your drinks. I gave some to my family and they really like them.
IMG_5556.jpeg

This is my favorite coffee container. It has a soft close spout and really keeps my coffee hot.
IMG_5555.jpeg

Back on track to the Atlantis Building.

A mock up of the inside of the ships controls. So many buttons, knobs and switches.

IMG_7447.jpegIMG_7444.jpeg
IMG_7439.jpeg

I found it interesting to get a up close look at the tiles on the ship. These particular tiles are located on the bottom of the ship.
IMG_7463.jpeg

IMG_7464.jpeg

In the Atlantis building on the first floor is a Memorial to the Astronauts lost on the Challenger and Discovery. Walking through there is like standing on Hallowed Ground especially when you reach the remnants of both of the Shuttles.

This is quiet area set aside by itself. It is very tastefully done and holds some possessions and photos of each of the Astronauts lost on the Challenger and Discovery as well as pieces of the shuttles recovered. Those losses are definitely in recent memory to all.

I have chosen not to share photos of those areas as I feel it is not appropriate and really should be seen in person by those who are visiting KSC.

There is a huge interactive area on the first floor for adults and children. There are some really nice interactive things to do on the second floor also.

The Atlantis building has a very large gift shop when you are leaving the building. So there are lots of nice things to look at on your way out.

to be continued.

IMG_1467.gif

Last edited:

When you come out of the Atlantis building and turn right and go around the front entrance continue going right you see the T-38 Talon Jet.

IMG_7407.jpeg

Past the Talon Jet if you walk straight is the North Lawn launch viewing area. If you are visiting KSC on a day when there is a launch you can view the launch tor the price of your KSC ticket for the day. It is not as good of a view as the area behind the Apollo/Saturn V Center, but you can see it fairly well according to the staff at KSC.

I had never seen a launch from this area. I was there at KSC on a day when a launch was supposed to go up and it was scrubbed 3 hours before lift off time.

Here is a view of the VAB building from that area.
IMG_7388.jpeg

To the left of the Talon Jet is the walkway that leads to the Space Mirror Memorial.

IMG_7392.jpeg

IMG_7401.jpeg

Across from the memorial are plaques with the names and likenesses of those lost not only in the Challenger and Discovery, but those who lost their lives preparing for missions and those who were working on flight testing for the NASA.

I hope it is some comfort to the families that these wonderful Hero’s will never be forgotten and will be forever remembered in the hearts of the millions who visit KSC.

IMG_7406.jpeg

IMG_7394.jpeg

IMG_7398.jpeg

IMG_7395.jpeg

IMG_7396.jpeg

Last edited:
I did not visit the Journey to Mars area. There is a movie and some displays. It seems the movie has already started when I have attempted to see it. I will have to make sure I make time for that on the next visit to KSC.

There are some nice photo ops when walking around the park.

On a recent trip to KSC a few weeks ago I saw the moon man walking around. I did get a photo of dad with him. My dad is 86 and he had never been to KSC. He enjoyed the visit.

IMG_5624.jpeg

We did rent a scooter for him. As it would have been to much walking for him.

A little aside here.

I have a couple of neighbors who are into seeing the rocket ships go up as much as I‘am. Because of that I have dubbed us The Rocket Sista‘s. I personalized some of the metal tags for us to wear as necklaces from the gift shop at KSC.

IMG_7675.jpeg

That is me on the left and V my next door neighbor in the middle and B my neighbor from across the street. This picture is in my back yard were we gather to watch the ships take off when we are not going up to Banana River to see them take off.

IMG_4405.jpeg
View from my back yard of a night time lift off.

I’am a AP holder at KSC and it has been a wonderful value.

I received an email back in the second or third week of March 2022 to ask if I was interested in seeing the Artemis on a dry run sitting up on launch pad 39B.

I think it was $15.00 extra and of course I could not say no.

This tour actually took you down the road that was used many years ago as part of your admission Tour over to the Apollo/ Saturn V Center. The road leads from the VAB building to the launch site.

Guess what we had to wait for before we could turn right to go past the VAB.

It was one of SpaceX’s rocket boosters being transported back to their hanger.
IMG_1392.jpeg

IMG_1395.jpeg

IMG_1404.jpeg

It was a special unexpected treat. Of course now you can get really up close with one of the Rocket Boosters at the New Gateway Deep Space Launch Complex.

To be continued

IMG_1468.gif

Last edited:
I’am sorry it has taken so long to finish this trip report. Life has been getting in the way for sure.

This tour gave a nice close up view of the VAB and the gigantic doors the space ships are rolled out of on the Crawler Transporter.
IMG_1540.jpeg

IMG_1532.jpeg

This view gives you a good look at the road that leads from the VAB building to the Launch Complex.
IMG_1413.jpeg

Crawler Transporter.
IMG_1408.jpeg

If they are offering a more behind the scenes Tour take it. Again many years ago this was included in the price of admission, but is no longer available unless you pay for an extra tour. It is worth it.

It was pretty awe inspiring to see the Artemis I sitting upright on Launch Complex 39B.

For those who don’t remember Artemis was Apollo’s twin sister in Greek Mythology so how appropriate for this ship to have her name.
IMG_1504.jpeg

IMG_1500.jpeg

IMG_1495.jpeg

IMG_1496.jpeg

Last edited:
Artemis I is said to be the worlds most powerful rocket. It is a Space Launch System rocket with a Orion spacecraft on top.
IMG_1504.jpeg

IMG_1500.jpeg

IMG_1503.jpeg

The Artemis I was launched on November 16, 2022. This was an unmanned flight. The mission was to check out the systems and ensure a safe re-entry, descent and splashdown prior to the first flight with crew which will be on Artemis II in 2024.

The mission lasted 25 days and traveled a distance of 1. 4 million miles and splashed down on December 11, 2022.

Artemis II is supposed to be crewed and will orbit the moon in 2024 and in 2025 it is planned to go to the moon.

IMG_1437.jpeg

IMG_1438.jpeg

IMG_1450.jpeg

This is 39A in the distance
IMG_1451.jpeg

IMG_1439.jpeg

In this shot you can see the lighting rods to protect the ship on the pad.
IMG_1447.jpeg
One of the most powerful lightening strikes ever recorded at NASA was April 2, 2022 and the Artemis I was sitting there. It struck one of the rods, but there was no damage to the rocket or spacecraft despite the large electromagnetic field generated my the strike.

To be continued

IMG_6134.gif

Last edited:

If I’am not mistaken this is the concrete viewing area that you could walk up on and overlook the rock road that takes the rockets to the Launch Complex many years ago. It was open back then. They have closed it inside on the top now.

IMG_1411.jpeg

IMG_1477.jpeg

This gives you an idea how close this area is to the ocean.
IMG_1443.jpeg

I was so glad I was able to make it up for this special viewing of Artemis I. It was a special treat to remember.

Everyone enjoyed taking photos. There was no rush to get back on the bus. After everyone took their photos. Then everyone eventually mosied to the bus and we headed back to the bus area at KSC.

The buses are air conditioned and very comfortable.
IMG_1468.jpeg

Of course I had to have a look around in the store after getting back to see if there was anything new in the shop. There are always fun things to look at.
IMG_1561.jpeg

To be continued.

IMG_1760.gif

Time to recap and bring this trip report to an end. This has been one trip report that has taken me forever to complete, but each time I have come back to do share some more of the trip I have enjoyed the opportunity to relive my trip all over again.

Thank you to everyone who has came by for a look. I hope you have enjoyed reading along on the report. Hopefully it has given you some useful information to take along with you on your trips to Universal and Kennedy Space Center.

The first reason for my trip was to celebrate Mardi Gras at Universal Orlando. This event has gotten better every year. If you haven’t been you are missing out. It is food and fun for the whole family.

IMG_1858.gif

The second reason was to visit Kennedy Space Center.
IMG_1867.jpeg

I stayed at the beautiful and welcoming Sapphire Falls Resort. This is a special place with nice people who want you to have a great time while staying there.

IMG_1859.jpeg

I looked at a lot of Mardi Gras merchandise.
IMG_1865.jpeg

IMG_1860.jpeg

IMG_1861.jpeg

I saw a Hedwig backpack.
IMG_1862.jpeg

Scooby and the Gang were out for photos.
IMG_1863.jpeg

I visited the Tribute Store
IMG_1864.jpeg

IMG_1866.jpeg

I visited the Five & Dime
IMG_1868.jpeg

There was some cool spooky merch to look
IMG_1869.jpeg

IMG_1873.jpeg

I saw a Bride and her fella and a Wolfman
IMG_1870.jpeg

A Mummy
IMG_1874.jpeg

A Vampire
IMG_1872.jpeg

I saw Fiona and Shrek.
IMG_1875.jpeg

Mardi Gras decorations
IMG_1877.jpeg

I saw a mean House Elf named Kreacher
IMG_1880.jpeg

Found a suit case for travel
IMG_1882.jpeg

Reminisced about Monster’s
IMG_1890.jpeg

IMG_1891.jpeg

IMG_1892.jpeg

Rode a Spider-Man’s ride
IMG_1893.jpeg

Saw Olive and Betty
IMG_1895.jpeg

Enjoyed my room with a view
IMG_1896.jpeg

Had coffee with a mermaid
IMG_1897.jpeg

Enjoyed some shopping
IMG_1898.jpeg

IMG_1899.jpeg

I saw a Mardi Gras Parade
IMG_1900.jpeg

IMG_1901.jpeg

IMG_1902.jpeg

IMG_1904.jpeg

A awesome dancing Lobster
IMG_1903.jpeg

Drank a strong drink in a “Cursed Club”
IMG_1906.jpeg

IMG_1907.jpeg

IMG_1908.jpeg

By a magical fire
IMG_1909.jpeg

Saw a Squirrel named Earl on some merch in the store
IMG_1910.jpeg

Last edited:

When you come out of the Atlantis building and turn right and go around the front entrance continue going right you see the T-38 Talon Jet.

View attachment 770811

Past the Talon Jet if you walk straight is the North Lawn launch viewing area. If you are visiting KSC on a day when there is a launch you can view the launch tor the price of your KSC ticket for the day. It is not as good of a view as the area behind the Apollo/Saturn V Center, but you can see it fairly well according to the staff at KSC.

I had never seen a launch from this area. I was there at KSC on a day when a launch was supposed to go up and it was scrubbed 3 hours before lift off time.

Here is a view of the VAB building from that area.
View attachment 770818

To the left of the Talon Jet is the walkway that leads to the Space Mirror Memorial.

View attachment 770820

View attachment 770825

Across from the memorial are plaques with the names and likenesses of those lost not only in the Challenger and Discovery, but those who lost their lives preparing for missions and those who were working on flight testing for the NASA.

I hope it is some comfort to the families that these wonderful Hero’s will never be forgotten and will be forever remembered in the hearts of the millions who visit KSC.

View attachment 770826

View attachment 770821

View attachment 770824

View attachment 770822

View attachment 770823
Thanks for posting this. I will never forget that day 😢

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter