Mask mandate doubled down--keep them on while dining?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralTso

DIS Veteran
Just read the update that guests are now required to keep their masks on during dining.
This is getting tough. Just when I thought things might be easing up, not so fast.
For us, we will continue to wait. This is a step too far (for now). We can't wait to return, but this will keep us away even longer.
We're not anti-maskers at all. We are fully vaccinated and wear our masks everywhere as required.

Previously, guests were allowed to remove masks once seated at their tables. Now, they must remain intact unless eating or drinking.

This is directly from the announcement.

I also saw the announcement, but not sure I believe the source....yet. I went to the Disney website and I couldn’t find anything specific to eating in a restaurant that convinced me the policy changed.

I just saw this on Disney Food Blog’s Instagram. I’m very disappointed if this is true. They seem to be a pretty reputable source for info. Interested to see how people are going to react to this news. I have a 2 year old and it was hard enough just getting him to keep it on throughout the park most days. Now to add this I’m worried about our upcoming April trip.

It was posted on a Facebook thread, via the Disney Food Blog.
I saw that too but I’m thinking it refers more toward people lingering at tables with masks off after meals. I’ve also been seeing more of people posting pictures at restaurant entrances - posing for the ‘gram - with no masks, not even in hand. So clearly they had to add some words for clarity. I’m sure if you have drinks and food In front of you they aren’t going to make you put a mask on in between bites. It’s been like this in MA almost 8 months now.

I like the new rule if its true. I never understood why the rule was you could take your mask off once you were seated and not once your food/drinks were delivered. Seemed like the servers were being exposed to an unnecessary amount of unmasked guests when people took their masks off immediately when seated.

I like the new rule if its true. I never understood why the rule was you could take your mask off once you were seated and not once your food/drinks were delivered. Seemed like the servers were being exposed to an unnecessary amount of unmasked guests when people took their masks off immediately when seated.
Yeah, it’s very likely for the situations where people just plopped down and ripped off their mask immediately while waiting to put in their order, or for people hanging around after they finished eating and sitting their maskless.

Ha!!! Disney is just looking for ways to keep people away at this point. Do they feel like the virus is only transmissible when not actively eating? Why implement it at this stage in the game, when numbers are steadily on the decline and vaccines are getting put on arms? Chapek is going to bury Disney World.

Yeah, it’s very likely for the situations where people just plopped down and ripped off their mask immediately while waiting to put in their order, or for people hanging around after they finished eating and sitting their maskless.
Because whoever sat you down told you you could remove your masks when sitting down and to please put it on if you got up.

Honest question - is this surprising to people?

We have this exact same rule in my entire state. (At least, I’m fairly sure it’s the entire state. At the very least, it’s a rule in my city.) It helps protect the staff, so they’re not approaching tables of unmasked people and so that people aren’t walking around in the restaurant (to the restroom, for example), without a mask on.

I don't see the big deal with this. You're meant to wear a mask if you aren't eating or drinking. That's always been the policy. You aren't going to get staff pestering in between bites of food. This just clarifies that you aren't meant to sit at a table for two hours and stop wearing a mask just because you're expecting food or you ate/drank a while earlier.

Honest question - is this surprising to people?

We have this exact same rule in my entire state. (At least, I’m fairly sure it’s the entire state. At the very least, it’s a rule in my city.) It helps protect the staff, so they’re not approaching tables of unmasked people and so that people aren’t walking around in the restaurant (to the restroom, for example), without a mask on.
It’s surprising to me, yes. Locally it’s expected to be masked until seated, then masks come off. The servers are going to be exposed to maskless people for some period of time regardless. If the average meal takes 60 minutes, does 50 minutes of unmasked exposure vs 60 minutes really make any measurable difference? Doubtful.

And yet I haven’t heard any stories of servers catching COVID

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter