• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Masks and one year old?

orangecuse

DIS Veteran
Hi all!
We will be going to the parks about a week before my youngest turns two.

1. Because he will be 1, he doesnt need a mask correct? (The adults and my 4 year old will obviously wear ours!)

2.Will we get any hassle/pushback from cast members? I guess I'm worried people will ask if hes 2 all week or yell at us to put a mask on him. We havent been since covid so any insight from those who have been with kids UNDER 2 would be awesome!

I don't have any answers but I'm following the responses.

My youngest will be 2 on our trip this fall but since we don't take him anywhere at home where he needs to wear a mask, we've been spending time practicing with him in order to get him used to it. But, he's 2 and completely unpredictable at times. I keep worrying that it'll be a struggle to get him to keep one on for most of the day and that either DH or myself will miss out on spending time with the family if we have to take him back to the resort when he refuses.

My little one is also 1 but turning 2 in June. Were leaving tomorrow. I don't think well have a hard time but I'm also slightly nervous because we do have face shields she can wear (makes us feel a little safer versus her maskless) but I don't know if the cast members will see that and say she can't wear it because those aren't considered adequate. But since shes under 2 it should be okay right since she isn't supposed to wear the mask yet?

My little one is also 1 but turning 2 in June. Were leaving tomorrow. I don't think well have a hard time but I'm also slightly nervous because we do have face shields she can wear (makes us feel a little safer versus her maskless) but I don't know if the cast members will see that and say she can't wear it because those aren't considered adequate. But since shes under 2 it should be okay right since she isn't supposed to wear the mask yet?
Yes wearing a face shield would be fine for anyone exempt from the mask policy.

They just ask their age. When we were getting ready to go in HS, I didn't realize my daughter (age 2) had taken hers off in the stroller and they asked me if she was 2 or under. I said 2 and embarassedly coaxed her to put it back on. She was pretty good about it, except at naptime. She and dad had to get out of the Tiki Room line due to her mask-related meltdown one day right before naptime.

Just got back with my little guy just under 2. Cast members will ask (usually just at the temperature check or at security) but we either said “under 2” or “22 months” and they’d just nod and let us through. Def not a big deal!

Just got back with my little guy just under 2. Cast members will ask (usually just at the temperature check or at security) but we either said “under 2” or “22 months” and they’d just nod and let us through. Def not a big deal!
Now that you say this, about the security booth, we had the security lady ask how old my 17 month old was who was sitting in the stroller last week. He clearly looks under 2 so I thought she was asking just because people do ask how old babies are. Now I’m thinking she was double checking his age.

I don't have any answers but I'm following the responses.

My youngest will be 2 on our trip this fall but since we don't take him anywhere at home where he needs to wear a mask, we've been spending time practicing with him in order to get him used to it. But, he's 2 and completely unpredictable at times. I keep worrying that it'll be a struggle to get him to keep one on for most of the day and that either DH or myself will miss out on spending time with the family if we have to take him back to the resort when he refuses.

Your concern is legitimate. Its alot of money to spend if your son won't wear a mask. You still have time to practice with him but only you will know if it's worth it for you guys to go.
Best of luck to you!! :flower3:

We go often with my son who is 16 months. We’ve been asked a few time how old he is, typically by CMs near the temp check or at the tapstiles. Once inside, we haven’t been asked. He’s very tall and looks older than he is, but I guess since he’s usually in the stroller it’s assumed he’s younger than 2 or that we were asked outside.

Just for anyone who doesn’t know, it is unsafe to put a mask on a child younger than two, they could suffocate.

I hope you have a great trip!

Just for anyone who doesn’t know, it is unsafe to put a mask on a child younger than two, they could suffocate.

I hope you have a great trip!
we have friends who by Doctor's order had one under 2 who was to wear a mask out in public and this was years before covid. that child is now an adult

we have friends who by Doctor's order had one under 2 who was to wear a mask out in public and this was years before covid. that child is now an adult

That is anecdotal. The only reason I even brought it up is because some parents are unaware that it is a suffocation risk for a child that age and sometimes assume under 2 is excluded because of how difficult it would be to keep a mask on a baby. It was meant to be an encouragement to not cave to peer pressure.

Leading health authorities say kids under 2 shouldn’t wear masks and I’m going to defer to them instead of one pediatrician who may have given bad advice that thankfully caused no harm.

Hi all!
We will be going to the parks about a week before my youngest turns two.

1. Because he will be 1, he doesnt need a mask correct? (The adults and my 4 year old will obviously wear ours!)

2.Will we get any hassle/pushback from cast members? I guess I'm worried people will ask if hes 2 all week or yell at us to put a mask on him. We havent been since covid so any insight from those who have been with kids UNDER 2 would be awesome!
Mine will be a month almost to the day before she's 2. I'm telling EVERYONE in my party not to call her 2. I'm telling my 6 year old if she gets asked to say "she turns 2 in the fall" because she has a late sept birthday. I'm not going to try with a mask because a. if she tolerates it she might not wear it safely yet and b. the last thing I want is for a castmember to see her with it and taking it off.

That is anecdotal. The only reason I even brought it up is because some parents are unaware that it is a suffocation risk for a child that age and sometimes assume under 2 is excluded because of how difficult it would be to keep a mask on a baby. It was meant to be an encouragement to not cave to peer pressure.

Leading health authorities say kids under 2 shouldn’t wear masks and I’m going to defer to them instead of one pediatrician who may have given bad advice that thankfully caused no harm.
I wouldn't say that the pediatrician necessarily gave bad advice, as we don't know the background story of whether the child had an illness that the protection provided by wearing a mask under close supervision outweighed the suffocation hazard. For the average child, health experts have determined the risk is too great until age 2. But yes, your pediatrician would be the best resource to ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter