Massachusetts DVC Owners Group

Heading down for two weeks end of Jan and planning to use either Instacart or Walmart for groceries any tips like which Walmart store to order from, two are close to Dis. Was supposed to have multiple kid and grand kids coming and going, now only wife and me and no parks. She's still a little worried about the flying part of the trip with things spiking but we're going. Thanks
I've ordered and shopped for groceries just about all the methods. Walmart is one of the easier ones to use providing you're willing to meet the car.

They'll text to let you know when your shopping is being done, offer the opportunity to accept or reject replacements for out of stock items and even with a delivery fee the prices can't be beat. You should reserve the date/time you want to have delivery (allow them a little leeway both ways) about a week before delivery. All you need to secure your spot is $35 in groceries or other items from the store. Then you have up to about 1:45 am on the day of delivery to make modifications, tell the shopper what you'll accept their substitution item on, add and delete items from the list. I love the system and use it all the time for pickup orders back here at home.

Regarding which Walmart... It comes down to which one will have the items you most need in stock. Build a practice list using the locations ahead to see which store is most likely to have your items in stock (still no guarantee). You'll have until 1:45am of the delivery day to make changes to the order, but may not be able to change stores at that time if all the slots are taken.

I also love amazon prime now which allows ordering even closer to the time of delivery. I often use a combo of both as delivery, and bell services will take and store the Amazon bags. Walmart is hit or miss with this as they need the bags to be sealed.

Thanks for the shopping info, especially Twink for the detailed info. I have a instacart account already but have yet to use it and have used Walmart here with a free money off coupon, so I'll do some investigative shopping, see how it looks.

I am so sad! We’ve been canceling one trip after another. We had a big family trip planned for Feb vacation week at BRV and I managed to get rooms for all my family (taking parents, siblings and their kids)... and now we are cancelling. I’m going to have so many unused points at this point! And I’m pining to be in my happy place. It’s the right and safest thing to do, but I’m still sad about it.

Michelle, I am sad for you but, as you already noted, "It’s the right and safest thing to do." While I am currently here at BCV, I have noticed that there are lots (LOTS!) of common, magical things that we've enjoyed previously that are simply not available now. I am not complaining because I do love being in our "happy place" but, frankly, if I couldn't be here during this unprecedented time, I wouldn't necessarily be sad about it. Once we all get back on track - and I truly believe that many of the activities, vacations, etc. that we've enjoyed previously will be available to us again without worry of contracting a deadly virus - hopefully, we'll enjoy the 'magic' all the more. Think about all the fun you'll have using all those points in the future. Perhaps you will be able to splurge (a Grand Villa perhaps?) Be well.

I am so sad! We’ve been canceling one trip after another. We had a big family trip planned for Feb vacation week at BRV and I managed to get rooms for all my family (taking parents, siblings and their kids)... and now we are cancelling. I’m going to have so many unused points at this point! And I’m pining to be in my happy place. It’s the right and safest thing to do, but I’m still sad about it.
I've been bullied by family and the insurance company into heading down to repair my mom's house ... late February is as far off as I can push it. Looking at the graphs, IF the more contagious variety doesn't change things I think I'll be safe. I've learned to live with Lysol wipes at the ready... problem is we can't breathe though them.

Initially my plan was to clean/document/file losses and meet with contractors, then reward myself with a day in Disney before heading home. I still think Disney's doing a good job of maintaining saftey despite the few comments about people with their masks off on rides etc.

Last edited:
Cindy, although I haven't been to the parks (yet, although I'm not sure that I'll get there this trip since I broke 3 toes and they hurt), I did go to Disney Springs on Sunday. It was wicked crowded and distancing wasn't necessarily the norm but masks were prevalent. And, of course, I used wipes and the hand sanitizer often. (BTW, I am sorry that your Mom's house suffered damage. I presume you mentioned it in an earlier thread but I must've missed it. Good luck with that headache.)

Cindy, although I haven't been to the parks (yet, although I'm not sure that I'll get there this trip since I broke 3 toes and they hurt), I did go to Disney Springs on Sunday. It was wicked crowded and distancing wasn't necessarily the norm but masks were prevalent. And, of course, I used wipes and the hand sanitizer often. (BTW, I am sorry that your Mom's house suffered damage. I presume you mentioned it in an earlier thread but I must've missed it. Good luck with that headache.)
I'd glad to hear Disney Springs is enforcing masks. I don't think I'd have the courage to go there or the parks on the weekends just as that's when the locals all descend on the place.

My parent's house flooded from a sink overflow back in November when a contractor came by to power wash the driveway. It caused damage to every room. Thankfully my uncle walked in and caught it about 4 days later before mold started up. The house is now dried out, but now I have to do the work to restore the wallboards, flooring and cabinets. I'll spare everyone the family drama going on, LOL.

We're still heading down for 15nights in a couple weeks, although we're seriously concerned about this trip with all the doom that's on the evening news it's the airports that scare us the most. We can avoid close situations when we're there seeing we're not going into the parks and aren't planning to dine out, but your trapped at the airports and the plane. We rationalize by telling each other we're not traveling at a busy time and with the current surge there'll be even less people flying, if we wear our masks and are vigilant about sanitizing we'll be ok.

Lost boy, since you are not planning to visit the parks or dine out, I think you may feel confident that you will indeed be OK. Not sure what airport you are flying from (if it is Logan, I can attest to their diligence related to social distancing - seats are blocked, etc. - and masks are required.) or what airline (Jet Blue was still spreading folks out as much as possible) but if you sanitize, wash, etc. again I think you'll be OK. Frankly, I found that MCO is problematic since they do not seem to adhere to the CDC guidelines and many folks seem to ignore them, too. However, you simply have to pass through there to get to your resort so that's a positive.

Thanks for your support, we're flying down out of Bradley on Spirit, first time with that airline, and back on Jetblue. Staying at one of our home resorts, OKW, which is nicely spread out, so easy to maintain some distance. We've heard the same about MCO so will have to be on our toes there. We might eat outdoors, if available, at some of our favorite places at Disney Springs.

Just found this thread. While I no longer live in MA I still keep track of what is happening there. I was born & raised in Plymouth. Lived there (except for a short time in the army and college in Boston/Waltham) for ~65 years before moving to FL. DVC member since 1995. Own at OKW, Hilton Head, Animal Kingdom and Aulani.

Hello fellow MA residents!
We have points at both AKV and BCV.
We cancelled a May 2020 trip (BCV) and a December 2020 trip (AKV).
We had also planned an Aulani trip May 2021 with our adult children but postponed it to maybe May 2022?

Currently we have a planned May 2021 trip planned to BCV but just aren't sure whether we're going. My DH and are both over 65 and haven't left our home other than for groceries, pharmacy and doctor's appointments...like so many other people.

Hopefully we'll be vaccinated by then but are concerned that the parks and the Disney experience just won't be as good as we have enjoyed in the past. We used to go 2-3 times a year as we are AP holders and I loved planning our trips. I want to go as WDW has been our "happy place", but just feel like I'm in a holding pattern mode.

I decided to provide info and share a few thoughts . . . In 2002, bought my first contract - minimum # of points at BCV - directly from Disney; purchased direct when SS was offered. Since then, I've added on at BCV and purchased points at SS, OKW and (last month) BLT (all resale.) While I know that I suffer "addonitis", I am fairly certain that I shall not purchase addl. points since the annual dues are stretching my affordability. (Of course, this would change if I won the lottery. LOL!) I am a Disney addict but my husband only tolerates it because it makes me happy. (Before we owned DVC, we stayed at SOG or off property.) He has always thought that Disney Corp. is greedy ("They don't just want to make a profit getting your money; they want all your money.") Anyway, after retiring about 3.5 years ago, I've been visiting WDW a minimum of 2x annually (although, in the past couple of years, visits have been twice that.) I was at SS (with a friend) and It was very eerie when WDW closed the parks and went home a day before the resorts were closing. I returned (with daughter and granddaughter) to Boardwalk Villas in late August. We visited the parks; needless to say, they were the least crowded I've ever seen. WDW was strict about taking precautions: in addition to requiring masks, sanitizer was provided in the villas and throughout the property; rides were intermittently closed for about 15 mins. so that they could be sanitized (they used some sort of wand sprayer) and the majority of stores and restaurants were shuttered. Pools were open but not crowded. Overall, it was a relaxing vacation. I returned to WDW in Oct; stayed at the Yacht Club for 4 nights. It was a last minute solo trip; a friend had points that had to be used before she lost them at a Disney resort or RCI hotel and she gave them to me. I'd never stayed at YC and I doubt that I'd return. While the recently remodeled room was nice, it was far from luxurious and the required # of points for the stay was outrageous for a room.) The view - especially the Boardwalk lit up at night - was the best thing about it. I spent a good amount of time on my balcony. Weather was nice (comfortable temps & sunny most of the time.) I only went to the parks - EPCOT and HS, I think - for about 3 hours. I noticed that both the resorts (BCV & YC) seemed to be more crowded and the parks definitely had more guests than my last visit. I walked throughout the resorts and, while I knew that more folks were staying, I rarely saw them in the halls during the day. Walking by Cape May Cafe and Yachtsman Steakhouse made me think of a ghost town. Oh! The highlight of my stay was seeing the U.S.A.F. Thunderbirds fly over WDW (honoring fallen military.) Returned (with husband) for 5 nights in mid-Nov. to BWV. Primarily, we spent our time relaxing altho one day we went to EPCOT and had lunch outdoors at Chef Art Smith's Homecomin' another day (I'd definitely return! We both enjoyed our meals; staff was awesome, too.) At the beginning of Jan., I returned to SS for a couple of nights (solo) and moved to BCV (with son, daughter and 2 granddaughters) for 3 nights (then moved to Universal for 1 night.) They spent more time in the parks than I did (I went with them a couple of times but returned to the resort after a few hours. They stayed.) The parks seemed to be mobbed! Wait times for popular rides exceeded 85 mins. Space Mtn. broke down after they waited in line for 50 mins. Tried to get in the queue for Rise of the Resistance but did not succeed the first day. We got it on the second day! We also got to ride Millennium Falcon once each day. Loved the Rise; probably will not ride Falcon again. As I mentioned, it seemed that the crowds were back: it was difficult to get dining reservations and the boats from BCV to the parks were crowded (altho plexiglass dividers were installed btwn seats.) Lines at the ticket entrances were long, too (and social distancing was not common.) I kept wondering about the
announced 35% capacity; the crowds seemed so much larger to me. Perhaps that was because they'd been relatively "empty" in August? There were many, many families in attendance (surprising to me since school vacations had ended. I did notice many couples, too, but that was what I'd expected.) (BTW, my husband and I had to cancel our first ever stay at VB (s/h/b 6 nights) in early Dec. I look forward to rescheduling that in the not-too-distant future.) Except for the Aug. visit (I quarantined), I've had neg. COVID tests after each vac. I do think that I am diligent about most of the CDC precautions (obviously, they advise avoiding travel and, as you see, that is something I have not followed altho I rarely leave my house when I am not at WDW.) I/we ate meals in our villas; always wore masks outside of our room (and, if a cast member entered due to a problem or emptying trash, etc., inside the room), washed hands and/or used sanitizer regularly, rarely dined indoors, socially distanced as much as possible, etc.) We used wipes on the rides, too. I did not notice rides being closed intermittently for sanitizing since the Aug. trip. I suppose that it may still be happening and I just missed seeing it, but I think that they may not be doing that during active hours (Since the parks are not open as much as usual, they probably spend after hours sanitizing the rides/attractions.) BTW, speaking of attractions, most of them are closed. There aren't any live shows, street performers, fireworks or parades. While I am not certain, I believe that the majority of restaurants at the resorts and some in the parks are still shuttered (It's certainly true at BC, YC and BWV.) Many of the retail shops - both in the parks and at the resorts - remain shuttered. It seemed that the majority of stores and restaurants at Disney Springs are open. While you may still buy a refillable mug, you need to give it to a CM who will scan the bar code to make sure it is valid for free refills. From there, you will receive a disposable cup filled with your choice of beverage to either drink from or pour into your refillable mug. I did not buy one since it didn't seem feasible to me. IMO, if you are a frequent WDW guest, you may still enjoy a visit. However, if you only visit once a year or every other year, I think that you may want to wait until more of WDW opens. A LOT of the magic is missing but the cost is still top dollar. No doubt, you've heard or read about upcoming cuts and price increases. The pandemic has certainly put a dent in operations: less CMs, no housekeeping, fewer park hours and amenities and "complicated" requirements (i.e., reserving theme park days. Heck! Personally, I find it difficult to decide weeks/months in advance which park I hope to visit on a specific day.) I do think that it is relaxing to visit DVC resorts if you live in a cold/snowy environment since the FL temps. are usually much more comfortable during the winter months. Anyway, this post has some of my random thoughts and opinions. If you have questions, feel free to ask. (Oh! I forgot to add that - should the plans happen - I'll be returning to WDW at the beginning of Feb. staying at AKV.)

Really hoping my many times rescheduled trip (now in Aug) will happen. Crossing my fingers that our family will have the vaccine by then. I'm a teacher living in MA but teaching in RI so I'm hoping I get two shots at the vaccine during the spring. I do worry about my little boy not being vaccinated in August for travel though.

On to happier things...been waiting to hear about how my add on at BLT will fare in ROFR. Hoping to hear this week! Am nervous though since a lot of BLTs have been bought back lately.

Oh hey we're from MA and DVC owners at Grand Floridian! We only have the one contract but we're always sort of eyeing Kidani and Copper Creek. I just put us in for a waitlist in December (I hate people that book that Monday to break up the week!) and sort of have fingers crossed that it will happen. I want everyone to be vaccinated, but we have two little kids and who knows when the pediatric vaccine will be available. And of course both our kids will be in real school so taking them out will be a little trickier but...I feel like we deserve some vacation time after this past year.

Really hoping my many times rescheduled trip (now in Aug) will happen. Crossing my fingers that our family will have the vaccine by then. I'm a teacher living in MA but teaching in RI so I'm hoping I get two shots at the vaccine during the spring. I do worry about my little boy not being vaccinated in August for travel though.

On to happier things...been waiting to hear about how my add on at BLT will fare in ROFR. Hoping to hear this week! Am nervous though since a lot of BLTs have been bought back lately.
Cookies and Oatmeal, sending you pixie dust and other good vibes that your ROFR passes. Initially, I made an offer for BLT and learned fairly quickly that Disney bought it back. However, a few weeks later (same price per point and same # of points in the contract; the only difference was the 2nd offer had 25 less banked points included in the sale) the second offer I made was accepted. Fingers crossed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter