Massachusetts DVC Owners Group

I've heard good things about this site and I think this is where we plan to go in a couple of weeks when we get back to MA. Have you gone? Is it the lower nasal swab? I have two little ones so I'd like to make it as easy and scream free as possible ;)

It is the lower nasal swab test. I have not gone myself but my daughter and her husband have gone twice now and they said it was easy. My daughter did say it was beautiful out the first time they went and it went quickly. The second time they went it was very cold and windy out and the team administering the tests seemed to be having a much harder time outside in the elements.

I can't imagine all these outside testing sites running as smoothly once winter really kicks in. How can staff be outside in a tent when its 20 degrees windchill in Jan?

We just got back tonight. We ended up using the Maingate testing site on Friday 11/13. I got confused when they asked what type of test I needed, I forgot and I couldn’t find it on the MA.gov website. The woman taking our information couldn’t find anything different than a negative COVID test on the MA site either so they administered the rapid antigen test, negative result in 20 min. When we got back to BWV I was able to find that MA requires the PCR test so we went back and got that one (negative result in 36 hours). I felt the info on what kind of test required was kinda hidden and only in one paragraph, everything else just says negative test within 72 hours before returning. I’m not really sure if it makes a difference in what kind of test we got, as when I filled out the travel form it just asked if we had a negative test. The Maingate facility was easy to find, but did have a long line at 12:30, an hour wait. At 4pm when we went back for the other test the line was still long but moved much faster with more windows administering tests, about a 20min wait.

Our trip was fun, we did have a lot of rain during the week. The parks were crowded when walking around especially Main Street in MK after dark, WS in Epcot, and HS all day. The lines moved fast in all the parks. Mask compliance was mostly very good but there are always a few that think the rules don’t apply to them. cast members were quick to say something when they noticed. We ended up going to the parks for a few hours in the morning, leaving , and coming back for the last two hours in the evening. Waits and crowds were worse in the afternoon, but before park close many things were walk on, I think because of no park hopping a lot of people left early after being there all day. Bus/boat transportation was excellent every time we used it, no big waits or lines. We used it at all different times of the day and night. We also walked or drove sometimes depending on our plans.

Our favorite meal was Hollywood and Vine, we thought it was much better than when it was a buffet. Our least favorite was the flatbreads At Pinocchio village house, they were only Luke warm and Garden Grill, quality was so so. We also enjoyed Via Napoli, Yak n Yeti, Liberty Tree, Plaza, Mama Melrose, Captain Cooks, Chicken Guy, Regal Eagle, FameTree bbq, and Dolphin Fountain.

The airports didn’t feel much different than usual, except for mask requirements. Social distancing felt almost non existent especially at MCO and mask compliance was only fair. BDL was better but was not busy when we were there. TSA pre is still awesome. Anyone renting a car may want to think about which company to choose. We chose Alamo booked through Costco and checked in on line. We did not have to go to the counter. Budget would have been $50 cheaper, would have had to stop at counter, but the line at the counter was so long it must have taken hours to get through, in fact all the rental car counter lines were really long. I would suggest choosing a company that you don’t have to go to the counter.

Any questions let me know. We are going back in 60 days, hopefully the COVID cases are a little more under control by then and we are not in some kind of shutdown.

Sorry so long but I always love to read recent reports so I thought I would write one.

Michele, thanks for your report. I am at Boardwalk now. I'd read previous posts mentioning the Maingate site but did not know much about it because I didn't have a car so I didn't check it out. Since I do have a car this trip, I just Googled info and found: The address for the Maingate complex is 3010 Maingate Lane, Kissimmee, Florida 34747, near Disney’s Animal Kingdom. It is open every day of the week from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Testing is free for anyone over the age of two regardless of symptoms. Results are available within three to five days.
However, this was written on Oct. 9th so I am not sure if it is still accurate. I think that I shall check it out before heading home though.
So glad to read that your trip was fun despite the excess rain.

We just got back tonight. We ended up using the Maingate testing site on Friday 11/13. I got confused when they asked what type of test I needed, I forgot and I couldn’t find it on the MA.gov website. The woman taking our information couldn’t find anything different than a negative COVID test on the MA site either so they administered the rapid antigen test, negative result in 20 min. When we got back to BWV I was able to find that MA requires the PCR test so we went back and got that one (negative result in 36 hours). I felt the info on what kind of test required was kinda hidden and only in one paragraph, everything else just says negative test within 72 hours before returning. I’m not really sure if it makes a difference in what kind of test we got, as when I filled out the travel form it just asked if we had a negative test. The Maingate facility was easy to find, but did have a long line at 12:30, an hour wait. At 4pm when we went back for the other test the line was still long but moved much faster with more windows administering tests, about a 20min wait.

Our trip was fun, we did have a lot of rain during the week. The parks were crowded when walking around especially Main Street in MK after dark, WS in Epcot, and HS all day. The lines moved fast in all the parks. Mask compliance was mostly very good but there are always a few that think the rules don’t apply to them. cast members were quick to say something when they noticed. We ended up going to the parks for a few hours in the morning, leaving , and coming back for the last two hours in the evening. Waits and crowds were worse in the afternoon, but before park close many things were walk on, I think because of no park hopping a lot of people left early after being there all day. Bus/boat transportation was excellent every time we used it, no big waits or lines. We used it at all different times of the day and night. We also walked or drove sometimes depending on our plans.

Our favorite meal was Hollywood and Vine, we thought it was much better than when it was a buffet. Our least favorite was the flatbreads At Pinocchio village house, they were only Luke warm and Garden Grill, quality was so so. We also enjoyed Via Napoli, Yak n Yeti, Liberty Tree, Plaza, Mama Melrose, Captain Cooks, Chicken Guy, Regal Eagle, FameTree bbq, and Dolphin Fountain.

The airports didn’t feel much different than usual, except for mask requirements. Social distancing felt almost non existent especially at MCO and mask compliance was only fair. BDL was better but was not busy when we were there. TSA pre is still awesome. Anyone renting a car may want to think about which company to choose. We chose Alamo booked through Costco and checked in on line. We did not have to go to the counter. Budget would have been $50 cheaper, would have had to stop at counter, but the line at the counter was so long it must have taken hours to get through, in fact all the rental car counter lines were really long. I would suggest choosing a company that you don’t have to go to the counter.

Any questions let me know. We are going back in 60 days, hopefully the COVID cases are a little more under control by then and we are not in some kind of shutdown.

Sorry so long but I always love to read recent reports so I thought I would write one.
Thanks for your trip report! Glad you had a great time. We leave on Saturday. Very anxious about this trip but not enough to cancel (mostly about the testing requirements and the "stigma" of traveling during this time- I know my co-teacher isn't exactly thrilled I'm going. Was the test at maingate free? Testing there was our original plan if it was free but then I read we could come home and quarantine until we have a negative test- so we planned on going to the Stop the Spread testing in Framingham on Saturday morning (we come home Friday night). Turnaround there is about 24 hours. We won't have a car in WDW so we would have to UBER. We are going to Animal Kingdom on Thursday so maybe I will uber after going there- hoping for shorter wait since it will be Thanksgiving. We head back in February- hoping we can get that trip in!

Thanks for your trip report! Glad you had a great time. We leave on Saturday. Very anxious about this trip but not enough to cancel (mostly about the testing requirements and the "stigma" of traveling during this time- I know my co-teacher isn't exactly thrilled I'm going. Was the test at maingate free? Testing there was our original plan if it was free but then I read we could come home and quarantine until we have a negative test- so we planned on going to the Stop the Spread testing in Framingham on Saturday morning (we come home Friday night). Turnaround there is about 24 hours. We won't have a car in WDW so we would have to UBER. We are going to Animal Kingdom on Thursday so maybe I will uber after going there- hoping for shorter wait since it will be Thanksgiving. We head back in February- hoping we can get that trip in!
Yes the testing is free, no insurance information required. They will automatically give the rapid antigen test unless you ask for or tell them your state requires the PCR. Obviously we had both because I was confused the first time. Both tests were administered the same way, except the PCR gets put in a container and is labeled and sent out. Our results came back in 36 hours. They give you the swab and instruct you how far to put it in your nose, about 3/4 in. My husband had no issue and had his done first try. I was told twice it had to go higher, felt high enough to me but I guess not. Really though it was easy and we will go there again in January. I was able to show my results at work today.

Michele, thanks for your report. I am at Boardwalk now. I'd read previous posts mentioning the Maingate site but did not know much about it because I didn't have a car so I didn't check it out. Since I do have a car this trip, I just Googled info and found: The address for the Maingate complex is 3010 Maingate Lane, Kissimmee, Florida 34747, near Disney’s Animal Kingdom. It is open every day of the week from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Testing is free for anyone over the age of two regardless of symptoms. Results are available within three to five days.
However, this was written on Oct. 9th so I am not sure if it is still accurate. I think that I shall check it out before heading home though.
So glad to read that your trip was fun despite the excess rain.
We were jealous of all the people going this week as the weather looks awesome.

All your information is accurate 8-5, free for anyone. We were able to get the results in 36 hours. We were given a paper with instructions to access the website with the PCR test number. I think the paper said the results would be emailed in 3 to 5 days, but you can see the results earlier. I downloaded the results and emailed them to myself so it was easy to access if needed.

Boardwalk is our home resort and we always are happy to stay there. The reservations for this trip and January were made after we cancelled other trips so we were fortunate to piece together 2 trips of standard view studios by waitlist and picking up nights as we saw them available. Nothing like being able to walk to 2 parks.

I’m not really sure if it makes a difference in what kind of test we got, as when I filled out the travel form it just asked if we had a negative test.
The rapid test is an antigen test. The false negatives in antigens are fairly high. False positives are rare, so if you get a positive result, you have Covid. But a negative rapid test really should have a PCR test follow-up to confirm. Especially if you were exposed and developed covid only within the last few days, a rapid test is unlikely to return a positive result, as it requires a certain amount of protein build up in your body to get a positive result (proteins that the virus creates).

The PCR test is a molecular test (which detects the virus in your body) and is far more accurate, which is why many states require it over the rapid test.

Some info if you want to read up on it:
https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/coronavirus-disease-2019-testing-basicshttps://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...tection-sars-cov-2-letter-clinical-laboratory

The rapid test is an antigen test. The false negatives in antigens are fairly high. False positives are rare, so if you get a positive result, you have Covid. But a negative rapid test really should have a PCR test follow-up to confirm. Especially if you were exposed and developed covid only within the last few days, a rapid test is unlikely to return a positive result, as it requires a certain amount of protein build up in your body to get a positive result (proteins that the virus creates).

The PCR test is a molecular test (which detects the virus in your body) and is far more accurate, which is why many states require it over the rapid test.

Some info if you want to read up on it:
https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/coronavirus-disease-2019-testing-basicshttps://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...tection-sars-cov-2-letter-clinical-laboratory
Thanks for the info. We did go back for the PCR test and will get it next time also.

We got the test at the Stop the Spread test site in Revere yesterday and received our test results back in just over 12 hours. It was well organized and short lines.
Was it one that went very high up, feeling like it was touching your brain or lower nasal? We are going next week and will go to Maingate hopefully down there but then want to test again when we get back. We will need that one for work. Super happy to hear the 12 hour response and that lines were not bad!!!

Was it one that went very high up, feeling like it was touching your brain or lower nasal? We are going next week and will go to Maingate hopefully down there but then want to test again when we get back. We will need that one for work. Super happy to hear the 12 hour response and that lines were not bad!!!

It does not go high up into your nose. This is a PCR test, one Q-tip that you roll around 5 times in each nostril, you never leave your car and a appointment is required. I’m hearing it is taking longer to get an appointment now, could be because more are getting tested before Thanksgiving with family.

Leaving in 48 hours!! Have decided me and dh will test at the Maingate on Thanksgiving- hoping the holiday brings less people and less wait time and us and my kids will test Saturday in Framingham. I'm nervous I won't get the Framingham results in time for Monday back to work.

Leaving in 48 hours!! Have decided me and dh will test at the Maingate on Thanksgiving- hoping the holiday brings less people and less wait time and us and my kids will test Saturday in Framingham. I'm nervous I won't get the Framingham results in time for Monday back to work.
Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Good morning! I just want to provide an update about our COVID testing. Since Maingate no longer provides drive thru testing, we decided to go here:
  • Osceola County Health Department, 1875 Fortune Road, Kissimmee: Testing available Monday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Appointments are not required for this drive thru event. Those seeking testing are asked to wear a mask and bring a pen to complete paperwork.
Needless to say, we had a rental car and it was about 14 miles away. We went about 9:30 Thurs morning and had to wait in our car in a relatively short line about 20 mins. The health provider conducted the test (long q-tip inserted in nostril). While we were told that it would be about 3 days to receive our results, mine arrived the following day (negative) but we are still waiting for my husband's. He is anxious. We are quarantining now anyway.

Dumb question, but why aren't the states just providing automatic testing to folk at the airport as they leave the gates and go through security?

I once again decided NOT to go to FL... I feel like a yoyo with this but everyone from my uncle, who has eyes on the house situation, to our insurance adjuster agree waiting is the thing to do since I have known asthma issues.

I will now be basing my decision on the infection rate index. When it is below R1 in both MA and FL, as well as whatever state my plane originates from, then I will be traveling with precautions.

Cindy, I do not think you posed a dumb question at all. I suspect that there may be a number of reasons - staffing, secure area, $$, to name a few - that tests are not administered at most airports. RE: your decision not to go to FL . . . you need to do what is best for you. It sounds like it will be best for you to wait til the pandemic is waning and under control (vaccines, once they are available, will help.) Look at the bright side: you have something to look forward to. While I have traveled to WDW 3x since the pandemic hit, I truly feel that I was conscientious about taking care and staying safe (for example, I rarely left WDW and I didn't visit the parks as I would have outside of the pandemic. Also, IMO, there's lots of "magic" missing in WDW now. Stay safe!

CT person sneaking into the MA thread because the CT thread is pretty empty. I have more of a new englander question for all of you, any of you find yourself disappointed with the seafood at disney and always feel like you could have gotten much better at home? I see folks rave about Cape May and its amazing buffet...its "ok"...but compared to a real seafood buffet like Nordic Lodge in RI, it doesn't even come close!!

Zimwicket, I completely agree with you. Although I am one of the folks who raves about Cape May (it was my favorite dining place in WDW), I know that the seafood in NE is superior but I rarely got to binge on the items here at home. Also, I think that the Nordic buffet costs a lot more than Cape May did and isn't there a limit (time? I forget the details but I think I read something about limitations.) My favorite food is seafood (well, next to dessert. LOL!)

@Zimwicket I don't think I've ever gotten seafood at Disney just because I know it will never compare to what I can get back home! As for the Nordic Lodge...it's definitely a one of a kind place. I'll take lobsters over snow crab legs anytime!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter