May 2nd, 2023 - DVC The Villas @ Disneyland Hotel

I'm buying on Day 1

• Yes

Votes: 22 14.1%
  • No

Votes: 134 85.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m not blown away or surprised by the incentives - The only thing that kinda makes me chuckle is that first $4 per point drop.
I’m not sure there was any real need for or reason to expect any fantastic incentives to begin with, to be honest. Looking back at all the speculation over possible point costs (including some YouTube shows, ahem 😉), the $230 PPP came in at or below most expectations. Add to that a resort, DLH, that is ALWAYS sold out (versus GFH) and you’re not adding rooms where none were really needed. Plus, DLR has been desperate for another DVC resort for almost a decade. People have been rationalizing purchasing VDH at every turn prior to this morning, so getting “normal” incentives isn’t surprising to me.

Certainly the MF’s are maybe $1.50 or so higher than expected, but the only real “downer” is the TOT, and that’s on Anaheim, not DVC (there’s zero chance DVC didn’t try to get a lower TOT like VGC as they don’t see a penny of it and it just creates one more selling objection for them to overcome).

I’m not sure there was any real need for or reason to expect any fantastic incentives to begin with, to be honest. Looking back at all the speculation over possible point costs (including some YouTube shows, ahem 😉), the $230 PPP came in at or below most expectations. Add to that a resort, DLH, that is ALWAYS sold out (versus GFH) and you’re not adding rooms where none were really needed. Plus, DLR has been desperate for another DVC resort for almost a decade. People have been rationalizing purchasing VDH at every turn prior to this morning, so getting “normal” incentives isn’t surprising to me.

Certainly the MF’s are maybe $1.50 or so higher than expected, but the only real “downer” is the TOT, and that’s on Anaheim, not DVC (there’s zero chance DVC didn’t try to get a lower TOT like VGC as they don’t see a penny of it and it just creates one more selling objection for them to overcome).

Is the parking fee abolished? Any word on that.

New members of VDH can book starting May 16th. Anybody know when other DVC members (non-VDH) can book ? 😑

I’ll take 300+ please, got my appointment with my guide later this morning. tired of dropping $15K+ a year at DLH. Even with dues/taxes ( taxes we are already paying at DLH) it’ll pay for itself while we’re still young enough to go. Going to do it in 100 point increments to either easily sell when the time comes, or pass on to the kids.

Just put in my add-on for 150 points. This will be our first direct contract. We had been wanting one but not really interested in what's available currently. We have resale at BWV. We only ever stay at DLH anymore, unless it's for a convention. Looking forward to "needing" to go out to DLR more now to spend our points. We tend to do WDW most of the time but love both.

I’ll take 300+ please, got my appointment with my guide later this morning. tired of dropping $15K+ a year at DLH. Even with dues/taxes ( taxes we are already paying at DLH) it’ll pay for itself while we’re still young enough to go. Going to do it in 100 point increments to either easily sell when the time comes, or pass on to the kids.
That is everyone is missing. The current prices at DisneyLAND hotels with taxes and parking are in the range of $800+ for a room, and $1500+ for a one bedroom suite. You make that up pretty quick.

Im doing the same. We live in So cal and I spend at least 10k a year staying at DLH, Marriotts ext. The math has me saving money the first year, haha

That is everyone is missing. The current prices at DisneyLAND hotels with taxes and parking are in the range of $800+ for a room, and $1500+ for a one bedroom suite. You make that up pretty quick.
But then they transition to the "Well, we would never stay there anyway. You can get a room at the Vagabond Inn or Castle Inn for $200 a night and it comes with 2 bagels and a juice box. Plus, Harbor Blvd. hotels are closer to the main entrance." argument.

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere that Disney decided not to argue/negotiate the TOT on the VDH? It might be fallout from the cancelled hotel project.

When they were going to build the big luxury hotel on the downtown disney parking lot, they had negotiated a 70% rebate on the TOT tax. Disney would retain 70 percent of the transit occupancy tax paid by visitors for the first 20 years of operation. The city would collect all of the tax, which currently adds 15 percent to the cost of a hotel room in Anaheim. The tax rebate was estimated to be worth $267 million to Disney over 20 years. When Disney decided to move the hotel, Anaheim yanked the incentives, and Disney cancelled the project and cancelled its participation in the tax rebate programs (that's the simple explanation, it was really much more involved)

Disney has been screwing Anaheim for years on taxes. They got the city to build the Mickey and Friends garage for $100+ million. They then lease it to Disney for $1 a year, and Disney collects all the revenue from the garage, easily $30+ million a year. When Anaheim wanted to add a $1 gate tax, Disney complained it would hurt admissions, and then proceeded to raise ticket prices annually....kinda makes that threat ring hollow. Anyhow.....that's probably how you end up with a 15% TOT tax.

I thought I read somewhere that Disney decided not to argue/negotiate the TOT on the VDH? It might be fallout from the cancelled hotel project.

When they were going to build the big luxury hotel on the downtown disney parking lot, they had negotiated a 70% rebate on the TOT tax. Disney would retain 70 percent of the transit occupancy tax paid by visitors for the first 20 years of operation. The city would collect all of the tax, which currently adds 15 percent to the cost of a hotel room in Anaheim. The tax rebate was estimated to be worth $267 million to Disney over 20 years. When Disney decided to move the hotel, Anaheim yanked the incentives, and Disney cancelled the project and cancelled its participation in the tax rebate programs (that's the simple explanation, it was really much more involved)

Disney has been screwing Anaheim for years on taxes. They got the city to build the Mickey and Friends garage for $100+ million. They then lease it to Disney for $1 a year, and Disney collects all the revenue from the garage, easily $30+ million a year. When Anaheim wanted to add a $1 gate tax, Disney complained it would hurt admissions, and then proceeded to raise ticket prices annually....kinda makes that threat ring hollow. Anyhow.....that's probably how you end up with a 15% TOT tax.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Plus, Disney still has some of the smell from the Harry Sidhu/Arte Moreno/Angels controversy on them (even if not directly involved), so they're likely not looking to rock any boats or approach anything that could even carry the whiff of a back room deal.

I heard that too. I can't remember if it was on a podcast or not, Disney Dish or DIS DVC.

But then they transition to the "Well, we would never stay there anyway. You can get a room at the Vagabond Inn or Castle Inn for $200 a night and it comes with 2 bagels and a juice box. Plus, Harbor Blvd. hotels are closer to the main entrance." argument.
A deluxe studio average is 21points. Even renting points based on availability is $370 - $440. Now factor in getting your car broken into or catalytic converter cut off and the Disney is actually cheaper. Yes I know two different people who recently staying there and the Anaheim hotel that had this happen to

A deluxe studio average is 21points. Even renting points based on availability is $370 - $440. Now factor in getting your car broken into or catalytic converter cut off and the Disney is actually cheaper. Yes I know two different people who recently staying there and the Anaheim hotel that had this happen to
This is happening everywhere. I have read of police vehicles in the police secure lot here having their catalytic converters stolen, especially the SUVs. That's one advantage to driving a low, short car, an electric car, or a motorcycle. Now I only have to worry about some of our vehicles.

That may be true for some people, but not for us. We've stayed on Harbor and walked, done the Airbnb thing and parked in the garage, its not the same. We like it in the bubble. It's a 10 min walk from DLH to the front gate, and I don't have to navigate the busy street with little kids. We don't have to ride the tram back to the garage at the end of the day, find the car, drive back to wherever we are staying. We can walk back to the hotel mid day, nap, relax at the pool and walk back at night. Can't do that if we drive in from a local hotel. We walk 10 mins, and we're in our nice 1 or 2 bedroom suite on site. No getting up extra early to drive to the park and deal with traffic, or walk in the crowds on Harbor. I also feel safer walking back and forth at night in Down Town Disney, than walking down Harbor. You don't have to go far for it to get really sketchy.

There is a value to that for some people, but not for others, I get it. But hey, to each their own. I'm not going to begrudge anyone who chooses otherwise, I'm just amazed at the people who argue with those who decide it works for them.

Don't like it, fine don't buy in. It'll make it easier for us to book rooms for our 4 trips a year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter