May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 1: Busch Gardens -- Rhino Rally: A Big Disappointment

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
May 25, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)

I headed off at 7:00 am to start a 10-day vacation. I will start in Orlando and end up in Cedar Point in Ohio.

My first stop had to be Busch Gardens. Rhino Rally had opened on the previous day and I had to see it. I had heard so much about this ride that I wanted to ride it for months. I also wanted to see if the designers could actually pull it off. When I read about the ride, I didn’t think it would be possible.

I arrived at the Busch Gardens parking lot at around 9:45 am and took the tram to the front gates. I really don’t like taking the tram. I would walk it to the front gates if it weren’t so far. I entered the parks at 10:15 am and headed straight to Rhino Rally.

The Rhino Rally wait was around 20 to 30 minutes. I had to go through the foot scrubber because Busch Gardens was worried about foot and mouth disease. As I stood in line, I could see some of the Rovers driving by. That made me more excited. I waited and waited and finally made it to the loading area. I could feel my heart beat faster and I felt flushed. I was about to go on a ride that I had been looking forward for months. The rover drove up to the loading dock and the doors opened. I put on my seatbelt and was ready to be amazed.

The rover has a driver (ours was Jimanji Jim, I think) and a guide, who is selected from the queue. The guide today was Amanda, a senior in high school. The driver had some good banter with Amada as we drove through the course. The ride, on paper, is part safari and part water ride. The safari rode was a dirt road, which made the ride really bumpy. I only saw three animals on the safari – zebras, flamingoes, and antelopes. The safari has a few big water spots and puddles that we drove through. No one really got wet, though.

The ride came to a point where Amanda had to choose between a left and right path. The left path was all muddy and the right was pretty dry. The left path must be the way to the water ride. I know that Amanda said left, but the driver said, “I heard right” and turned right. I was so excited to go through the water part. You can imagine how disappointed I was when we hit the finish line. What? This is not part of the ride. My excitement went to disappointment in two seconds. I felt personally insulted that I did not get to go on the water ride. I thought the water part was broken down since I saw another rover sticking out from the bushes. I could see a part of the water ride from the exit and rovers were going down the river. As I exited, some people behind me said, “Don’t go on this ride!”

I wondered if the ride was truly working. One way to find out was to hop aboard the Sky Ride. You could see the entire Rhino Rally ride from the air.

Yes, people don't like to read negative reports, but sometimes they are required, and in this case, it's needed.

I was there on opening day, the 2nd half was broken down. Let's face it, that part of the ride is too complicated to work on a consistent basis.

The 1st half of the ride is alright, but nothing to write about, you just pass by some animals in a rover with a driver that tries to make it seem scary. Those animals are trained not to do anything but sit near their food and eat.

I'm frustrated because it took BGT 3 years to build the ride, when they could have built a new high capacity roller coaster.

Now or coarse, all the family people are going to come in here and tell me the family rides are needed. Yes, they are, but now it's time for some new coasters. They allow more people to ride, and that's what the fans want.

When I was at BGT July 5th, the line for Gwazi was 1 hour, and there are two sides to it. Montu was about half an hour. What does that tell you? People love roller coasters.

Give us an Intamin Giga Coaster. or a shuttle coaster (Vertical Velocity), or a drop ride (Gyro Drop).
No more simulators. BGW put one in the Ireland section, and I'm not flying up there to ride it. The next park I fly to will be SFMM to ride X, or the next park that builds an Intamin Giga coaster.

Parks need to listen to the fans, or we're gonna get fed up and not come anymore, and that's how I feel right now.

Also, the length of coasters needs to be longer. They just seem so short, even with re-rides. I want a 7000 foot B&M inverted. And the techs are gonna tell me that costs too much. Well, that's what I want, a super B&M.

WOW...we were at BG the first of June...and Rhino was still out of commission...well, kept going out of commission all day.

We stood in line 1 and 1/2 hours..it was up and running when we got in line....did the shoe wiping thing....finally got on....drove around in a circle and came back to the start. I was just about ready to start protesting..when they gave out vouchers that you could come back and ride RR with no waiting..or any other ride....just go in the EXIT and get right on.

Well, DD and DH wanted to ride RR...all of it. SO we went over 3 times and the water portion was never fiexed that whole day. So they rode it anyway...just as the park was closing. DH said they did take them on a different route...and they did see more animals. By late afternoon..none of the water rides were operating..and one of the coasters got stuck on top and they had to bring people down the stairs.

It was our first trip to BG and probably won't go again for a while

Phyllis

Great report Barry. Sorry to hear you didn't get to go on the water portion. that's sucks!

I'm really excited by this ride, but you're not the only one who has report negative experiences. I'm really wondering about this ride now.

Thanks for the report. I was considering the SeaWorld/Busch Gardens combo year pass but with this report on the Busch end and not having anyone who has ridden Hulk and Dragons put Kracken up against them, i will just continue my every saturday fun day to IOA/USF.
Barry you really got to pick up the pace on the MIB score!!!

I have ridden Hulk and Dueling Dragons and WOULD put Kraken up against them. Look at some of the comments of the Seaworld forum.Kraken is fantastic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter