May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 14: Dinner at Epcot’s Garden Grill

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
May 27, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)
Debi (moderator of the Tips board)
Robinrs (moderator of the Universal and Community boards)
Michael (Robin’s DS)
Dan Murphy (moderator of the Community board)

I arrived at Epcot around 4:30 and headed swiftly to the Land pavilion for the Garden Grill meet. I arrived a little late. I had set the meeting place for the front of the Land. I didn’t see anyone outside. When I walked inside, I saw Debi sitting on a bench. We sat and waited for people to come. I hoped no one was waiting outside since it was pretty humid.

We waited and waited. Debi took a walk and found Robin and Michael in front of the Garden Grill. I had made priority-seating reservations for 5 pm and Robin already checked us in. They had my name misspelled and they had 18 people reserved. Dan soon joined us. He was outside meeting a few DIS’ers. I think he met a family of seven. They visit Disney World several times a year and they live far away from Florida! I can’t imagine raising seven kids, much less taking them to Disney so often! I hope Dan shook their hand…and took their picture!

We waited some more and no one else showed up. While we waited, we mentioned how surprised we were to see a Fast Pass booth at the Living with the Land ride. The wait was also 35 minutes! I’m not sure if the ride is worth a 35-minute wait or a Fast Pass. We waited as long as we could before we were all too hungry. We headed in and were seated.

The restaurant is pretty neat. It revolves around the Living with the Land ride. You can see the four lands – the jungle, the desert, the farmland, and the rainforest. I suppose if you leaned over the railing, you could wave to the boats. I also liked the characters wandering around. We saw Goofy, Mickey, and Chip (or was it Dale?). The characters gave Michael and Debi big hugs. That’s because they sat on the edge of the booth. I got some waves. Michael got the most hugs. He even gave some characters a big hug!

As a side note, how can you tell Chip and Dale apart? Does one have an identifying scar or mole? Does one have different colored eyes? Maybe they need name tags like Cast Members!

The food was pretty good too. We had salad, chicken, catfish, some greens, and a cobbler desert. I think the food, our plates, or our cups took up every inch of the table. The food was served to us faster than we could finish it!

It was around 6 pm and getting close to Debi’s Tapestry of Nations time, so she left her cut for dinner and went to her sacred Tapestry of Nations spot by Germany. Robin and Michael were getting tired, so they headed back to the hotel room. Dan and I were the only ones left. I couldn’t let the leftovers go to waste – after all, there are children starving in the world!

After finishing what I could, Dan and I paid off the bill and headed out. We would meet up with Debi at the second Tapestry of Nations show.

Dan and I headed out for some post-dinner entertainment.

:D

Chip = Chocolate Chip because his nose is black.

Dale has the reddish brown nose.

I think Barry is upset cause he didn't get any hugs. :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter