May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 16: Epcot – Kindred Spirits

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
May 27, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)
Dan Murphy (moderator of the Community board)
Debi (moderator of the Tips board)

We then headed to Germany, where Debi was waiting for the second Tapestry of Nations parade. Dan was talking about how he finds all the unusual clip art. I am keeping that to myself so I can find unusual clip art too.

We met Debi and she was chatting with two other guests. They were Tapestry of Nations fans. Debi found some kindred spirits! They come to Disney World about three or four times a week! I bet some of you are jealous of them now! They watch Tapestry of Nations a lot. They even used to live in Ft. Myers (my home base) too. Talk about the luck of the draw!

Debi couldn’t get them on the DIS boards because they didn’t have a computer. Well, they now have an excuse to get one! Debi said that she plays a Tapestry of Nations video and music while checking the boards. Do you suppose she likes Tapestry of Nations? Perhaps she is a little obsessed? Her kindred spirits would probably answer (like they answered when Debi mentioned the obsession), “There’s nothing wrong with that!”

Debi had her video camera ready to shoot the parade. I have mine too. It was like dueling cameras! Debi picked a good spot to see the parade. The Cast Members pop out around Germany and go back in the same place. It was cool to see the silt-walking people, the puppet people, and the people who played the drums on the floats. I think my favorite part of the parade was the drummers.

Tapestry of Nations seems too long, though. After a while, it’s like you’ve seen one puppet, you’ve seen them all. I think Tapestry of Nations could be 10 minutes shorter. People were really enjoying the parade since most people clapped and cheered as the puppet people went by.

It was getting close to Illuminations. Debi was tired, so she headed back to her room. Dan and I scoped out a spot for Illuminations. We found a staircase by France to watch the show. Dan took a photo of Epcot at night and it really came out quite beautiful. A guest beside Dan mention how good it looked and said that the photo would be black if it was taken with a 35 mm camera.

That began Dan’s conversation with them about the DIS. He talked a long time with them on what the DIS is about and all other DIS stuff. I’m never able to sell the DIS like that. Usually, people ask what corn and emus are when they see my DIS shirts. How can you explain these legends in a 30 second conversation? Maybe I ought to carry around a printout of corn and emu FAQ’s when I visit the parks!

We watched Illuminations and there were a lot of oohs and aahs. I felt the show slowed down too much when the globe came out. It’s hard to see what’s projected on it. The climax seems under whelming too when the torch is revealed. Still, I enjoyed the fireworks at least.

Dan went back to his hotel and I headed to the parking lot. I came back to the Portifino and as I was entering, I noticed that the exit gate was split in two. It was like someone drove right through it! That’s a stupid way to save on parking. You save $6 and do $200 worth of damage to your car!

I took a shower and fell asleep. Tomorrow is Islands of Adventure with some more moderators!

Thanks for the great review of ToN and Illuminations! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter