May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 20: Universal Studios – No Questioning the Master

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
May 28, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)
RhondaS (moderator of the Community Board)
Scottie (RhondaS’ DH)
Erin (RhondaS’ DD)
Malarie (RhondaS’ DD)
Dan Murphy (moderator of the Community Board)
Robinrs (moderator of the Community and Universal Boards)
Michael (Robinrs’ DS)
Nativetxn (aka Katholyn, chat host and moderator of Theme Park Attractions & Strategies and Disney For Adults & Solo Travelers)
Wilgus (I think that was his name, Nativetxn’s DH)

We were heading from Islands of Adventure to Universal Studios. The Nickelodeon tour would be good for the kids. Perhaps I could even get one of our adults to participate in the Game Lab!

As we were walking by Islands of Adventure’s exit, Dan and Robin began walking back to the entrance. I’m not sure why, but I guess they really wanted to see their photo! Now we would not make it to Universal Studios in time! Even if we looked at the photos, we would be stuck in the shop for a long time to wait out the rain. I didn’t think it was that exciting to watch the rain for about 30 minutes.

The rest of us followed them back in. We looked at our photos and we did not buy it. The wind started to pick up and I could really feel in my bones that it was going to rain soon. We headed out of the park again and to Universal Studios. Surely I thought that the rain would start by the time we reached the Hard Rock Café.

It did.

We ducked under cover at the Hard Rock Café as the rain came down. The entrance was a short run away, so we dashed to the exit. The rain began to fall down harder. It wasn’t a torrential rain, so Rhonda decided to go for it. I went for it too and we both stood under an overhang at Nickelodeon Studios while the rest of our group stood under the exit awing until the rain calmed down. Everyone else then crossed over.

We were the last ones to enter the tour. Since it was a holiday weekend, no shows were being taped. We did see the sets for different shows. The Double Dare 2000 set was up as well. Our tour guide was pretty good. He pointed out unusual things in the information videos, like the kid picking his nose. I think most of us could find that one!

The tour ended with the Game Lab. The kids and adults broke off into separate seating areas. It seems like the kids got the more comfortable seats! The adults sat in generic silver benches, while the kids sat in red and blue benches. I should have told them I was 14 years old and tall for my age.

One of the games was based on the Rugrats in Paris movie. Two adults stood in the center dressed as the Eiffel Tower. We passed down parts of the tower and one person stuck the piece on the tower. The first one who completes the tower wins. During this game, Katholyn’s DH was one of the Eiffel Towers. He stood there with a big smile as people stuck pieces of the tower on him. When the tower was complete, he had to do a can-can dance, which he did quite well. He must have been practicing at home!

Another game had people tossing beaver food into beaver’s mouths. Michael was chosen for this game. He had his back to Robin and she was cheering him on. I don’t remember if Michael’s team won because I was too busy videotaping. I was also too busy videotaping the Rugrats game! I suppose I could sell the tape as “Moderator’s Family Members Caught on Tape” for $19.95! I was hoping Erin would get chosen for sliming, but I guess she was not cute enough!

After the tour, we went outside and posed under some slime photos. The kids had fun and we got two people in our group involved in the Game Lab. Even Dan had fun! Dan mentioned that the Nickelodeon tour was better than standing in the shop. I told Dan, “No questioning the master!”

We then headed to Men in Black. We rode in separate vehicles. Robin, Michael, RhondaS’ family, and Dan rode in one car. The rest of us rode in another. It was unfortunate that we did not ride in opposing cars for a shoot-off. Katholyn and her DH had never rode Men in Black. Their scores didn’t reach 100,000, but it was a good score for a first-timer. I really cut loose and scored 503,000. I don’t know what everyone else scored, but Robin was nearly floored when she saw my score!

It was nearing 3:00 and we had a 3:00 webcam meet scheduled. We hurried to the Hard Rock Café and it took us 10 minutes to get there. Boy, that is a long walk! We waved at the webcam for a few minutes. No one else showed up. RhondaS’ family had a plane to catch in a few hours, so we said our goodbyes as they headed back to the Hard Rock Hotel for their car. Dan had to leave too.

The rest of us headed back into Universal Studios for more fun.

Thanks Barry for not mentioning the <b><i>you know what</b></i> that dh had to wear while he danced the can-can.

LOL, I laughed so hard that day.

I don't think I did well, at all, on MIB. In fact, I have no doubt an 8 year old could make a better score than I did. But I was so busy looking at all the different aliens and stuff, it was difficult to pay attention to actually aiming and firing that gun.

That was a fun day that I will remember for a long, long time.

Great trip report, Barry.

Katholyn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter