May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 22: The Deserted Inn

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
May 28, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)

I headed down I-4 to the Quality Inn Kissimmee. I had bought an iBid certificate for a two-night stay. It was a good deal, but the hotel was pretty far from the main tourist areas. It was at the intersection of I-192 and the Florida turnpike. That’s about 15-20 miles away from Disney. The bad part is that it would be a long drive to the parks. The good thing is that since it was far away from the parks, I figured I would miss all the traffic congestion and tacky souvenir shops that line I-192 as you get closer to Disney.

I-4 was again backed up at exits 28 and 29. I decided to get off I-4 and head down the turnpike. I think the toll was 50 cents. It was worth it not to sit in traffic and become aggravated.

The roads were not lined with any tacky souvenir shops. That was refreshing! There were also “Super” markets. The only thing really super about those markets are the super high prices! They also sell tacky souvenirs!

The hotel seemed kind of deserted. I didn’t see too many cars parked. I figured that it was kind of early (it was around 8 pm), people are still at the parks. I wondered how the parking lot would look in the morning.

I checked in and the desk clerk looked kind of lonely, but she was pleasant. After surrendering my iBid certificate, I went to my room. I had a pool view room! The pool was not anything near the Portifino’s pool and had a big sign that said to swim at your own risk. I didn’t feel like diving into shark-infested waters.

The room was a generic hotel room, but it was a little bigger than ones I’ve been to in the past. The room had a connecting door that had a chair in front of it. From the other room, I faintly heard an alarm clock going off! I hope the people in the other room are awake! I inspected the room and it was clean. There wasn’t anything really special about it, but it was pretty clean.

I drove out for some dinner. I decided to eat at McDonald’s. I went through the drive thru and I placed my order. I drove up to the first window and a smiling woman took my money. I drove to the next window and the same smiling woman gave me my food! I suppose if you want a job, you can probably get one at this McDonald’s. They seem short-handed.

I drove back to my room. On the side of the hotel that I parked my car, there was only about a half-dozen cars there. It didn’t seem like the hotel was at even 50% occupancy. There weren’t too many people wandering about or causing a commotion in their room. I will have to check in the morning to see if any more cars are around.

I ate my dinner while surfing the channels. I hit the one channel that had 3 hours of coaster shows. This is my type of channel! I think it was the Discovery or Travel Channel. I rarely get to see these shows because I am one of the unfortunate people who don’t have cable. I saw “30 Coasters in 24 Hours?” and “Top 10 Coasters.” I saw shots of Cedar Point and Millennium Force. I would be there in a few days. I got to see a shot of Cedar Point’s Running of the Bulls. I would have to look out for that when I visit.

I tried to stay up for the third hour, but I fell asleep. While watching the shows, I was debating on what to do tomorrow. I was either going to head to Valdosta, Georgia for Wild Adventures or do my Orlando roller coaster tour. When I went to sleep, I hadn’t decided yet. I will have to figure it out in the morning. I had set my alarm for 5:30 am in case I wanted to go to Wild Adventures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter