May Med Magic - May 15 2010 - Meet thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Mike and Jeff were talking about staying in the Opryland Hotel the other day. I'm on a bridge for the flooding in Nashville and someone just reported that there is 10 feet of water in the hotel. I really really really hope the levee doesn't break tonight.

Jill in CO

You're in Nashville? I heard they had 13 inches of rain. It was weird...we too were predicted to get a lot of rain here in N. Alabama too but we got very little over the weekend...which was good because it didn't rain on us Saturday when we were running a 10K. :thumbsup2

Hi Karen
We're originally from New Jersey---Ocean Grove . Sarasota, Florida is now our home---no more ice and snow ;);)
We're flying to Barcelona on the 12th --stopping in Philadelphia
(might have time for a cheesesteak)for our change of planes then onto Barcelona. Hoping to explore a bit of Spain before our cruise !!!

Can't wait to board the Magic and meet everyone here on Dis !

Jean

Thanks to everyone for the insights on a private guide at Pompeii. We are definitely leaning towards hiring one to take us around. My only other question... if you could only hire a guide at either Pompeii or the Vatican Museum - which would you do? We're only going to do one or the other but are trying to figure out which one would be more meaningful and worth the money. Thoughts?

You're in Nashville? I heard they had 13 inches of rain. It was weird...we too were predicted to get a lot of rain here in N. Alabama too but we got very little over the weekend...which was good because it didn't rain on us Saturday when we were running a 10K. :thumbsup2

Nope, I'm in Denver but we have a headend that is in danger of going under water if the levee breaks so we are monitoring the situation around the clock.

I know Mike and Jeff were talking about staying in the Opryland Hotel the other day. I'm on a bridge for the flooding in Nashville and someone just reported that there is 10 feet of water in the hotel. I really really really hope the levee doesn't break tonight.

Jill in CO
Think they were talking about evacuating the downtown riverfront area today since the river has not yet crested. Even flooded Nashville is a great town.

Thanks to everyone for the insights on a private guide at Pompeii. We are definitely leaning towards hiring one to take us around. My only other question... if you could only hire a guide at either Pompeii or the Vatican Museum - which would you do? We're only going to do one or the other but are trying to figure out which one would be more meaningful and worth the money. Thoughts?

I'd have to say the Vatican, given an either/or situation.

Nope, I'm in Denver but we have a headend that is in danger of going under water if the levee breaks so we are monitoring the situation around the clock.

Ahhh...that kind of bridge.

So are people interested in the fountains? I'm not sure how to arrange all this, since I may die of exhaustion, but if I don't, I really want to go... :confused3

It's pretty funny, I went to AAA to pick up my euros today, and the gal asked which ABD I was taking. I told her the add-on for the Med cruise and she had NO IDEA what I was talking about. I could tell she was miffed, too, that I knew something she didn't. She obviously styled herself as a Disney expert. She tried to tell me that it wasn't really an ABD, and they were just normal DCL excursions they were calling ABD. It wasn't worth calling her on it, 'cause it was actually pretty humorous. :rotfl: For me.

Sayhello

A headend?

I knew what you meant by 'bridge'. :)

Sayhello

So are people interested in the fountains? I'm not sure how to arrange all this, since I may die of exhaustion, but if I don't, I really want to go... :confused3

I've decided we're going to get the T10 Metro cards so we're game for getting there, unless it's pouring down rain or something miserable like that. Sunset on May 14 is 9:02 pm so if we arrive 30-45 minutes early, we should be able to find each other IF we can find a good rallying point. Perhaps if you wear Mickey Ears then we'll be able to find you. :earsgirl:

A headend?

I knew what you meant by 'bridge'. :)

Sayhello

I work for Comcast and a head end is like a telco central office. All of our routers and network equipment and cabling. Which if anyone knows anything about electronics, water=bad!

Jill

Oh yes, water very very bad. When I was in Memphis we had a fire in the basement of the Bell Telephone Corp Downtown, the water we used shut down the system for the entire mid south. Ooops.

It's pretty funny, I went to AAA to pick up my euros today, and the gal asked which ABD I was taking. I told her the add-on for the Med cruise and she had NO IDEA what I was talking about. I could tell she was miffed, too, that I knew something she didn't. She obviously styled herself as a Disney expert. She tried to tell me that it wasn't really an ABD, and they were just normal DCL excursions they were calling ABD. It wasn't worth calling her on it, 'cause it was actually pretty humorous. :rotfl: For me.

Sayhello

We were also planning on doing the fountain Friday night, hopefully we'll still be awake then :upsidedow and not completely messed up/exhausted.

I've decided we're going to get the T10 Metro cards so we're game for getting there, unless it's pouring down rain or something miserable like that. Sunset on May 14 is 9:02 pm so if we arrive 30-45 minutes early, we should be able to find each other IF we can find a good rallying point. Perhaps if you wear Mickey Ears then we'll be able to find you. :earsgirl:
Do you think I'll look like a tourist if I wear Mickey ears???? ;)

The T10 card sounds like a good deal. I've used the Metro in other towns a lot, and I hear Barcelona's is nice. I just wonder if I should travel back to the hotel at 10pm alone... I'm not usually this paranoid. I think I've been reading the Internet too much :) I think I'll PM the others staying at the Eurostars & see what's what...

I work for Comcast and a head end is like a telco central office. All of our routers and network equipment and cabling. Which if anyone knows anything about electronics, water=bad!

Jill
Ouch! That does *not* sound like a good situation!!!!

Oh yes, water very very bad. When I was in Memphis we had a fire in the basement of the Bell Telephone Corp Downtown, the water we used shut down the system for the entire mid south. Ooops.
Ooops is right! :scared1:

Sayhello

Jeff, be glad you have left the Opryland Hotel already. They moved people from the hotel Sunday night to a high school where they slept on floors and chairs because the hotel rooms around Nashville were booked. The hotel is now closed for the foreseeable future due to the flooding inside and around the hotel. I-40 finally reopened today - at one point, all 3 interstates in town were closed at one point.

This just in: Ireland is closing the airport today for in/outbound flights from 7-1 today due to ash clouds moving southward. Does not effect flights in Europe or England.

Someone please help me.......

Which night is the Pirate night? Is it La Spezia or Corsica? I thought I read back some where that it was believed to be changed to Sunday, 23 May. But, I saw on the cruise webpage that it is listed as Saturday, 22 May.

This will make a big difference in what I do on those two days.

Thanks a lot.

Cindy

I noticed that there is a duty-free shop in the cruise terminal at Barcelona. Does anyone know if we will be able to purchase alcohol there to take onboard or will it be kept until we disembark?

How many Adults tend to dress up for Pirates night?

On our 7-day last year -a few people (maybe a dozen or so) go the whole hog and wear extravagant costumes, a few more (probably 50-100) do what we are doing and make some effort at dressing up but mostly homemade/cobbled together outfits (we're using old clothes made raggedy and various accessories).

Most people tend to wear some kind of pirate t-shirt or some accessories like an eye patch or bandana.

I'm guessing less people will dress up in costumes due to generally more strict luggage restrictions (before fees are due) on planes in Europe.

We found it trememdous fun dressing up and had lots of comments about how cute our outfits were (see the picture in roll call on the website). They were nothing special, but it was fun to do and we're doing it again this year.

If you want to dress up - then go for it, if you don't then its equally ok to just dress normally for dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter