Maybe a long-term closure is better for Members...

So what do we all make of the Orange County guidance on re-opening of resorts? Specifies no coffee makers in rooms, "do not offer self food services" (does this include toasters, microwaves, ovens etc) and housekeeping only by request or on departure of guests?

So what do we all make of the Orange County guidance on re-opening of resorts? Specifies no coffee makers in rooms, "do not offer self food services" (does this include toasters, microwaves, ovens etc) and housekeeping only by request or on departure of guests?
I could be wrong, but I took the “self food services” to mean things such as buffets.
The other stuff that’s spelled out will make life in the villa somewhat uncomfortable imo.

I could be wrong, but I took the “self food services” to mean things such as buffets.
The other stuff that’s spelled out will make life in the villa somewhat uncomfortable imo.

If you're right then it is the end of AKL Concierge and mugs you can re-fill yourself. But the guidelines also talk of removing glassware, mugs etc and so might also include the cookware in the rooms. Who knows how guidelines will be interpreted. Still doesn't make much sense to remove coffee makers unless you are removing other similar items such as toasters/microwaves etc. Of course we don't know if hotel mandated rules apply to timeshare too.

I'm assuming/hoping what they mean are water cups in hotel rooms w/o dishwashers, where housekeeping replaces them everyday with a stock they have on their cart. But in villas with a dishwasher, there isn't the issue of hotel staff bringing in drinkware every day, and the dishwasher/sink keeps everything sanitary.

Now whether that is actually what is intended or will be what any actual rules say....

Bruce

I'm assuming/hoping what they mean are water cups in hotel rooms w/o dishwashers, where housekeeping replaces them everyday with a stock they have on their cart. But in villas with a dishwasher, there isn't the issue of hotel staff bringing in drinkware every day, and the dishwasher/sink keeps everything sanitary.

Now whether that is actually what is intended or will be what any actual rules say....

Bruce
Agreed, the dishwasher makes a big difference

This is my attempt to copy and paste a link to the above mentioned meeting.
Limited Park Capacities, Mandated Employee Face Masks, and More Discussed During Orange County Florida Economic Recovery Task Force Meeting - LaughingPlace.com

Besides the kitchen wares questions already asked, I wonder if the hair dryer will also be removed.

In the various proposed guidelines, it wants staff who are 65+ to stay home. What about members, like my wife and I, who are 65+? If it isn't safe for staff members, it isn't safe for us either. If we have to stay away, what compensation (e.g., dues, points, etc.) will be made for us old people?

In the various proposed guidelines, it wants staff who are 65+ to stay home. What about members, like my wife and I, who are 65+? If it isn't safe for staff members, it isn't safe for us either. If we have to stay away, what compensation (e.g., dues, points, etc.) will be made for us old people?
My guess is they put that in there for workers so the employer could not force them to work. OTOH, a vacationer would have the choice.

Reactions: cm8

Not meaning to sound harsh, but none. As long as the resort is open, and your reservation is available for your stay, then all regular cancellations will most likely apply,

It is possible they will continue to waive the holding status for reservations canceled less than 31 days, but until the resorts announce an opening date, we aren’t really sure what will continue in terms of temporary changes to the rules.

I think it is a really strong signal that they believe older people, out of a sense of self-preservation, should stay away from crowds of strangers.

I also wonder if the resort rules apply to timeshares. No coffee maker? I guess I have to pack my Keurig...no cups, glasses etc? That would totally change the benefit of having a full kitchen. I hope this isn't the plan, guess we have to wait and see. This is the problem with "leaks" of information. I wish we could just get the whole plan all at one time without all the little dribs and drabs that may or many not be the final plan. It causes a lot of stress.

This is the problem with "leaks" of information. I wish we could just get the whole plan all at one time without all the little dribs and drabs that may or many not be the final plan.
I don't class this info as leaks -- it is the official Orange County plan and recommendations from it's task force that has been published. The uncertainty is that although being on the task force, WDW and Universal today seem to have reserved their right to have their own plan (which may be more cautious than the guidelines laid out by the task force).

Last edited:
None of these restrictions sound like much of a big deal to me.
Good. Get in there. Enjoy your vacation. Write a will before you depart. Pack your own coffee machine and cleaning wipes. Pack lots of snacks in your luggage just in case you can't get a restaurant space. Bring a measuring stick to wave at CMs as you pass them in the resorts with narrow corridors (yes, I'm thinking of you Wilderness Lodge, Copper Creek), and, if you're at the Poly don't forget to spray your disinfectant for 20 secs before stepping in to the 1.5 metre x 1.5 metre elevators. None of this is a big deal

I have never once used a coffee machine in a disney hotel. I would be thrilled to do away forever with the dirty glasses they leave in rooms. I don’t every want to eat in another buffet. I wouldn’t miss refillable mugs (and I’d save a ton of calories). And I’d be making restaurant reservations ahead of time like I always have. And at Poly, I’d just take the stairs (since it’s only 2 or 3 stories tall)

I didn’t say the virus wasn’t a big deal and the social distancing part will be a challenge. I’m not sure I’m ready to be out there with people yet myself. I was referring to the silly ( to me) things around the items in the room.

I think it is a really strong signal that they believe older people, out of a sense of self-preservation, should stay away from crowds of strangers.
It’s a strong signal that they don’t want lawsuits if they make more susceptible people show up for work.

Last edited:
Good. Get in there. Enjoy your vacation. Write a will before you depart. Pack your own coffee machine and cleaning wipes. Pack lots of snacks in your luggage just in case you can't get a restaurant space. Bring a measuring stick to wave at CMs as you pass them in the resorts with narrow corridors (yes, I'm thinking of you Wilderness Lodge, Copper Creek), and, if you're at the Poly don't forget to spray your disinfectant for 20 secs before stepping in to the 1.5 metre x 1.5 metre elevators. None of this is a big deal
No need to do all those things if you’re going to write your will.

And at Poly. I’d just take the stairs (since it’s only 2 or 3 stories tall)
Great thinking -- what sort of placard do you think Disney should put outside the Poly lifts when they rule them out of service? "COVID warning" Do not take lift unless you are in a family group"; "Call front desk if you are in a mobility scooter/ or aged 65+ and need elevator to be disinfected?"

Last edited:
Great thinking -- what sort of placard do you think Disney should put outside the Poly lifts when they rule them out of service? "COVID warning" Do not take lift unless you are in a family group"; "Call front desk if you are in a mobility scooter/ or aged 65+ and need elevator to be disinfected?"
What are you so angry about? Lol. I don’t think they’d need a “placard” at all. Logic would tell me if I want to reduce my risk, I don’t go in small public boxes. And then I’d walk up the stairs.

i don’t think the list of items is anywhere near as restrictive as I thought it would be, even for Phase 1. It sounds doable to me. But if it doesn’t to you, then by all means wait longer to go. No one is going to make you be there opening day. Go when you are comfortable.

I don't class this info as leaks -- it is the official Orange County plan and recommendations from it's task force that has been published. The uncertainty is that although being on the task force, WDW and Universal today seem to have reserved their right to have their own plan (which may be more cautious than the guidelines laid out by the task force).

To me the information supplied isn't complete so it's a "leak" of information. There are many unanswered questions that still need to be answered, so we don't have the complete picture only a "leak" of information. You can call it what you want and I will call it how I see it, a "leak". You say tomato, I say tomato. Hope you have a good day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter