Mayonnaise roulette

I just loaded up on three jars from the Dollar Tree. I go through so many that I go from having a small stockpile to suddenly nothing in my cabinet in no time.
Well if you’re only buying them from Dollar Tree, I would definitely chuck them all and start all over. Maybe only buy a couple at a time

Well if you’re only buying them from Dollar Tree, I would definitely chuck them all and start all over. Maybe only buy a couple at a time

I think you thought I was the OP who answered that question. I buy the jars at Dollar Tree as they tend to have smaller jars. I live alone and go through them quicker than if I bought a larger jar that may end up in my fridge for a much longer time. Much longer as in, the contents at the bottom are beyond safe to eat, as it's been opened so long ago. :scared:

True. Much more common here to put mayonaise on your fries than ketchup.

I heard they put mayo on fries in the U.K. too, instead of ketchup. Do you do that to use up the mayo quickly because you do not put it in the fridge?

I heard they put mayo on fries in the U.K. too, instead of ketchup. Do you do that to use up the mayo quickly because you do not put it in the fridge?
Mayo on fries is DELICIOUS. Not Miracle Whip, mind you, but good old-fashioned Hellman's (or equivalent).

OP - Unless your house is extremely hot, the mayo that sat out overnight on the counter is probably just fine.

Different poster. Mine was from Costco. DH likes to load us up on things like mayo when he goes.

Don't be distracted by the no-mayo-at-picnics ancient thinking. Prepared, jarred mayo is jam-packed with preservatives, and no raw, unpasteurized eggs. It was never combined with warm, damp ingredients so there's little chance there was time for bacteria to form. Give it the smell test and it should be fine as long as it's not past the use by date. Mayo lasts way past the use by date in the fridge.

And in the future, don't open another jar until the opened one is empty. End of lecture.

Exactly. Mayo probably would be the last picnic item to go bad.

Last edited:
We have two kitchens and therefore two refrigerators and we never seem to have mayonnaise in the main kitchen. So, the other day, DH went looking and found five, yes five, opened and partially used jars of mayonnaise. Upon questioning my son, the main suspect, he learned that DS had accidently left a jar of mayonnaise out on the counter overnight and then put it in the fridge in the morning. Not wanting to risk certain death, he opened a new jar rather than use that one. The next time he wanted some, he could not remember which was the bad jar so he got a new one from the pantry...and so on and so on.

So, now we have four good jars and one risky one and no one knows which is which.

🙄
Kids!

Here is dinner family, - each made with a different jar. May the odds be ever in your favor...

No, because mayonaise tastes better on fries than ketchup :)
If I have one guess on why, it might have something to do with mayo having a thicker consistency, therefore sticks better to a fry and you can put more on it?

I use mayo maybe once every other week. I can do months with a container of mayonaise.

If I have one guess on why, it might have something to do with mayo having a thicker consistency, therefore sticks better to a fry and you can put more on it?

I use mayo maybe once every other week. I can do months with a container of mayonaise.

Just plain mayo? I am not sure I can get on board with that :rotfl2:

My second guess why we prefer mayo would be: mayo is savoury. Ketchup is sweeter. I think we prefer to keep savoury food savoury and not mix the two.

Wait, you guys don't eat mayo with fries? That's the only way I can eat fries nowadays. I love using sriracha mayo too.

My second guess why we prefer mayo would be: mayo is savoury. Ketchup is sweeter. I think we prefer to keep savoury food savoury and not mix the two.
I prefer mayo too, but ketchup is so much more than sweet, which is why it goes so well with so many things. It's sweet, salty, sour, bitter, umami.

I would throw them all out. Sorry!

In our house, the rule is, "If you take the last of something, write it on the shopping list"--5 people live here, I don't personally use everything, so if you grab the last jar of bread and butter pickles (yuck!), I'm not likely to notice. So I could see some one taking the last jar of mayo, putting it on the list, then grabbing a new jar, putting it on the list, and so on, and so on...

P.S. Once, my youngest pulled a jar of spaghetti sauce out of the pantry. Opened it, didn't need it, lost track, and put it back in the pantry. I only realized when I saw a bit of sauce on the outside of the jar and questioned him. I think the jar had only been opened ~24 hours or so, and it was a shame to waste it, but--waste it I did!

Before I saw your second post I was wondering if your mayo is made with more lemon juice or something that adds more flavor than what we consider mayo here? :scratchin

I mentioned above that I tend to get cheaper, smaller jars of generic may from the Dollar Tree. Usually, it's a generic brand that was most likely made and jarred up by the same facility that makes the expensive brand. They just put a generic label on them and sell them cheaper. (I always check to make sure they are made in the U.S.)

One time, the mayo had a very tangy taste. It hadn't gone bad, it was just flavored to be extra tangy and I didn't care for it. It kind of interfered with all the foods I put it in. I kind of like my mayo "bland" for lack of a better word. I actually tried fries with mayo, and found it too bland for my taste. I prefer the sweetness & tanginess of ketchup. So, I'm wondering if your mayo is more flavorful and savory - in a good way, than ours. :scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter