Mayonnaise roulette

Wait, you guys don't eat mayo with fries? That's the only way I can eat fries nowadays. I love using sriracha mayo too.

On corn on the cob also.

@Dan Murphy What??? You put mayo on corn on the cob? Or the sriracha mayo? What does mayo do on corn on the cob? I'm a "slathered with warm butter" person.
mais.gif

This reminds me of how I've read so many people say they love grilled cheese sandwiched made with mayo instead of butter. So, I tried it. it tasted like mayo spread on a grilled cheese and was missing that buttery great flavor of a great grilled cheese. :love: (Can you tell I'm a butter person? :teeth: )

Last edited:
I like it mixed with ketchup - almost like a Big Mac sauce for fries.
I like that too. My mom used to make it all the time when I was a kid, half mayo, half ketchup, which we used as salad dressing (like Thousand Island), and as a condiment on sandwiches. Heinz now sells a product called Mayochup, as well as a few other variations.

P.S. Once, my youngest pulled a jar of spaghetti sauce out of the pantry. Opened it, didn't need it, lost track, and put it back in the pantry. I only realized when I saw a bit of sauce on the outside of the jar and questioned him. I think the jar had only been opened ~24 hours or so, and it was a shame to waste it, but--waste it I did!
Confession time. Like 55 ish years ago I opened a jar of Ragu, stuck my (likely dirty) finger in a few times, licked off the sauce, then resealed the jar.

Several weeks later my mother opened the jar and it was moldy and gross. I never told her what I did. I just let her think it was a bad jar.

I have read that mayo is a secret ingredient in making a nice moist chocolate cake. Keep the jars and make lots of cakes so the heat from baking will kill whatever cooties maybe decided to form. Or grilled cheese sandwiches, use mayo instead of butter on the outside of the bread. I do think that just overnight in your house would be ok to still use any of the jars no roulette necessary.

@Dan Murphy What??? You put mayo on corn on the cob? Or the sriracha mayo? What does mayo do on corn on the cob? I'm a "slathered with warm butter" person.
Mayo, in addition to the butter, salt and a little pepper also. Like salt on watermelon.

My husband's grandmother would have a jar of mayo last her years. She just scraped any mold off the top and used what she needed.
You know, I think there's gross and there's dangerous, one does not equal the other. I'm not one to risk gross, but to each their own.

Give it the sniff test. Back in the last century when I was a child, (and was probably done for centuries before that,) that's how people figured out if anything was funky. I'm still surprised any of us survived. :lmao:
And, I shudder to think about it, but we had no expiration dates on anything! If it didn’t smell or taste bad, we ate it 😂

:confused3Meh, if the jar had only been out overnight, I'd not thing twice about putting it back in the fridge and using the rest. And in my house nobody but me would ever know because it is routine for DH & DS to leave things laying around and assume that magic pixies took care of it.

Even your mayo and other dairy type condiments? :oops:
Mayo has no dairy and eggs do not need to be kept in the fridge (in Europe). I had to look up which ones do contain dairy, but yes, garlic sauce or certain salad dressings, I would keep them in the cupboard.

I did check the bottles, and they do say to keep them in the fridge after opening ;) but most people I know don't.

I googled and apparently Dutch websites give conflicting information, some say it is better to keep them in the fridge after opening, but also plenty who say you don't have to. Usually because all the additives preserve the condiment.

Thanks for the replies re: Mayo/Dairy.
I know that ketchup & mustard don't have to be refrigerated right away after opening
(but if weeks go by then it's best to keep them cold).

I knew about the eggs in Europe (I still wish we treated our eggs here),
but I did look up why we put mayo in the fridge.

https://www.myrecipes.com/extracrispy/mayo-unrefrigerated-shelf-life

Most commercial mayonnaises, like Hellman's Real Mayonnaise or Sir Kensignton's Mayonnaise, are shelf-stable before opening. That's why the bottle or jar can sit unrefrigerated in the supermarket. But once you open it up, you've got to store mayo in the fridge...

The perishable nature of mayonnaise is also why you should throw out mayo that's been left out unrefrigerated overnight. It could be totally fine—until you get food poisoning. And, in general, the FDA recommends tossing perishable foods, including mayo, that have been left out at room temperature for two or more hours.

According to the US Food and Drug Administration, in the United States, real mayonnaise needs to be no less than 65 percent vegetable oil, with vinegar, lemon juice, and some type of egg yolk.

It's the inclusion of an egg yolk that makes mayo perishable and notoriously tricky to handle. "Traditionally, mayonnaise is made with raw egg yolks, and therefore carries a slight risk of salmonella infection," explains food scientist Harold McGee in his book On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen, adding... This raw egg is part of the reason McGee recommends treating mayo, "as a highly perishable food that should be served immediately or kept refrigerated."

I also read elsewhere that some American restaurants buy specially made mayo that is safe to leave out
all day while they use it!

Mayo's not a dairy product. Made at home, it's oil, eggs, and flavorings (spices, acids). Commercial mayo has several different preservatives in it, is made with pasteurized egg products, and contains more acid (vinegar) than homemade versions (read the label). Commercially produced mayonnaise is an environment within which very few bacteria can survive because of the high fat content, high acid content, and subsequent lack of air due to the fat and lack of protein, which bacteria need for a food source. If my mayo was out on the counter overnight, I'd put it back in the fridge.

Last edited:
Imagine what we eat in some restaurants and even with some prepared foods? I’m always a little hesitant to order things with mayo that I haven’t made myself like tuna or chicken salad. :crazy2: YMMV. (A friend not too long ago got salmonella from a pre-made chicken salad in a tub, it was part of a big outbreak. She got herself to the ER and literally fell onto the floor there she was so sick. So it’s tempting, as I love it, but idk…)

Confession time. Like 55 ish years ago I opened a jar of Ragu, stuck my (likely dirty) finger in a few times, licked off the sauce, then resealed the jar.

Several weeks later my mother opened the jar and it was moldy and gross. I never told her what I did. I just let her think it was a bad jar.

So you are why they added the tamper pop-up buttons on the tops of jars! 🤣 I can actually just remember when those started to become common, sometime in the 80's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter