microwave in the room?

bbchurch

Earning My Ears
We will be staying at the AKL and since we sometimes like to eat in our room we would really like to have a microwave. Does anyone know if the hotel would have a problem with you bringing your own microwave? (also since we are flying this is a issue with what to do with it when we are leaving but that is a thread on the travel board getting answered...I hope!) Does the AKL have microwaves for the guest to use and if so where are they located? Thank you for any help.
Billy

Just use the microwave in Mara. Don't bother with bringing your own. You are staying at a deluxe resort, not the YMCA.

I'm not sure that the outlets in the room can handle the load that a microwave would draw.

Anne

From the official WDW website regarding the AKL's rooms:

- - - - - - -
Animal Kingdlom Lodge Guest Rooms:

These rooms feature bed(s), table and chairs, ceiling fan, bathroom with private commode, and data port on the base of desktop telephone. Rooms also feature private balcony with a standard, savannah or pool view. Non-smoking rooms and rooms for Guests with disabilities are available.

Amenities include in-room safe, voice mail, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, and 27" television. Coffeemaker and refrigerator available upon request.
- - - - - - -

As Deb & Bill have pointed out, there should be a microwave in the Mara quick-service restaurant for AKL guests to use.

Suites at the AKL have the following amenities in their parlor rooms (click here): sink, coffee maker, refrigerator, and microwave.

Our suite did not contain a VCR and I asked the concierge to arrange the delivery of one for me (there was a cost involved in this). I am not sure if the concierge could arrange for the delivery of a microwave to a concierge room, but it does not hurt to ask.

I am not sure if this applies or not, but all of the colleges my three children have visited over the years do not allow microwaves in the rooms because they would overload the wiring. Not sure about hotels.

For the posters that are suggesting using Mara, I don't think the original poster wants to make the trek all the way down there to refresh his cold cup of coffee...it would take too much time, and buy the time he got up to his room it would be cold again. As a person who "mikes" my coffee at least 6 times a morning, I know where he is coming from. I would suggest calling the front desk and asking...can't hurt. I betcha they may just bring you one. ( I just finished your post over on the trans. board, seems to be a huge hassle to go and buy one), good luck.

Originally posted by Jillpie
For the posters that are suggesting using Mara, I don't think the original poster wants to make the trek all the way down there to refresh his cold cup of coffee...

He did ask if AKL had microwaves anywhere for guest use. :confused: Which they do.

Yup, you're right Gepetto...but I have a feeling he is asking more for personal use in his room?

I haven't stayed at the AKL yet, but we requested a microwave at the GF on two different trips and got it for free both times. I think we were just lucky because most people have to pay $10 per day. It was nice having it because our son was drinking formula and eating cereal at night. Maybe that's why they didn't charge us? I don't know. We also used it for popcorn a couple of nights.

As far as bringing your own I doubt they would let you. The reason being that they don't know how many watts your microwave is or if it's safe. When they give you one of their own microwaves then they know it's compatible with the rooms amp service, etc. But it never hurts to ask. Just call the front desk. ;)

At the Polynesian 2 yrs ago I requested a microwave and recieved one. We were staying concierge but i didn't need it for food, it was for a microwave heat pack I had to use on my neck for a pinch nerve problem I was undergoing treatment for. I did tell concierge it was for medical reasons and we were not charged for it.

The resort outlets can handle a microwave, just not all provide one for you. We stayed at YC last Sept and they do have some there. It was waiting in our room when we arrived. We were bringing a baby that my mil was going to have to fix a bottle for on occasion, if she was watching baby abd we were out so need def needed something to warm up the water. In our case using a resturant one--like Mara--wouldnt have done us any good unless theywere open 24/7.
Hope you have a great stay at AKL--stayed there in Dec and loved it.

If you need to heat up coffee or water, use a coffee pot. If they will give you one, that's great.

Boy I never knew how much trouble I would cause with this question! Let me see if I can address some of your concerns:

As far as the microwave powe loads, the small ones but out about 600 watts. In comparision a hairdrier is usually 1500 watts.

The hotel wiring is obviously designed to handle a refridgerator since you can request one. And a refridgerator runs constantly whereas a microwave is only used for a couple minutes here and there. Also the AKL is pretty much brand new should have very a
reliable wiring system.
As for the health issue A person with a pace maker has to be within extreme proximity to the microwave to risk interferance.
How many other hotels are there out there that have microwaves in all the rooms? A bunch... And I don't recall of any health issues from rooms next door. Also what about the food courts, they have microwaves in them and you don't here of people's pacemakers shorting out in there.

The only reason I can really think of that you could not have your own microwave in the room is one: there would be no place to put it. Two the hotel would want you to rent theirs.
I may be wrong on some or even all of these points but I just wanted to address these concerns.

we're all just trying to make things easy for you by offering our helpful opinions!! :teeth:

I see no problems at all with the situation you describe, unless the AKL has some kind of blanket policy against microwaves being brought in. It's way cheaper to buy your own than to pay $10 per day!!

As far as where to put it in the room, it would have to be either the small round table or possibly on top of the TV (if the cord will reach). Or on the floor or a chair. :)

I don't want anyone to think I was being rude. I really appreciate everyone's advice. I was just trying to address some of the issues that I thought I could answer. I had not thought about "fire risk or voltage loads" but I was just giving my take on those concerns.
However I am going to call the AKL and see what the policy is on microwaves in the rooms.

When you call you might ask if they provide them free of charge. I don't believe resorts charge for the coffeemakers which like microwaves are only running for short times unlike refrigs. I thought I had read that they were free of charge at some resorts at WDW but I can't seem to find the info for you right now.

I know people were just trying to be helpful but we do get carried away on these boards sometimes. Just don't ask about poolhopping!:teeth:

Cooking in the rooms is really discouraged. Eat your cereal, drink your coffee, but please don't cook a meal in the room. If you can't afford the room and eating, try booking a less expensive room and use the savings for your meals. These rooms really aren't meant for preparing meals using electronic or electric devices. :confused:

Originally posted by Deb & Bill
Cooking in the rooms is really discouraged. Eat your cereal, drink your coffee, but please don't cook a meal in the room. If you can't afford the room and eating, try booking a less expensive room and use the savings for your meals. These rooms really aren't meant for preparing meals using electronic or electric devices. :confused:
I am really sure they don't want you cooking full meal in your hotel room. But I was thinking more like warming up leftovers from dinner, microwave foods..ect for small snacks inbetween main meals..I have the money to pay for the room and to eat..I just look for all the ways I can to minimize costs.

Deb, why is it your concern what in the world he does with the microwave?? Gosh, is there microwave police at the AKL? Why do you care whether he pops in a frozen meal or just reheats something? Are you really serious? Life is way too short. This reminds me of the poolhopping police on this board. Geesh. :rolleyes: Why do you feel it is your duty to remind him what the heck he can cook or not cook? This drives me nuts when people go to this level when these are adults asking these innocent questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter