Military Ticket Questions

iupui1299

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone. Has anyone recently used the Military promotional tickets? If so, did they check for ID at the gate? We will be purchasing tickets from Shades of Green and going down in June. My mother is the sponsor who will be getting the tickets however she will most likely stay at the resorts most days. I just want to make sure we can get into the parks without her being with us. I have heard mixed stories on the ID check so just seeing if anyone has recently used the tickets. Thanks for any info.

Hey everyone. Has anyone recently used the Military promotional tickets? If so, did they check for ID at the gate? We will be purchasing tickets from Shades of Green and going down in June. My mother is the sponsor who will be getting the tickets however she will most likely stay at the resorts most days. I just want to make sure we can get into the parks without her being with us. I have heard mixed stories on the ID check so just seeing if anyone has recently used the tickets. Thanks for any info.
Yes, you'll be fine. We have NEVER been asked to show our id at the gate at WDW (Dland, yes for activation the first time). We use them every year, most. recently in July and will use them again next week. If you do not buy them from Shades then they are not activated and you'll need to have the military person show their id to activate them, but this is NOT at the gate at WDW. You can do it at any guest relations (Dsprings or in the front of any of the parks.) You bought from Shades so you should be good. I say should because they did change the system they use this yr and they no longer send. hard tix, but I am 99% sure they are still already activated. I can report back next week or you can just stop by a guest relations when you arrive before you go to the park to make sure.

We had the traditional Stars and Stripes from ITT. Even when we activated them at Guest Relations the CM didn't want to see his ID. Previously we always had to show it.

Yes, you'll be fine. We have NEVER been asked to show our id at the gate at WDW (Dland, yes for activation the first time). We use them every year, most. recently in July and will use them again next week. If you do not buy them from Shades then they are not activated and you'll need to have the military person show their id to activate them, but this is NOT at the gate at WDW. You can do it at any guest relations (Dsprings or in the front of any of the parks.) You bought from Shades so you should be good. I say should because they did change the system they use this yr and they no longer send. hard tix, but I am 99% sure they are still already activated. I can report back next week or you can just stop by a guest relations when you arrive before you go to the park to make sure.
Hi! This would be great if you could update your experience. I am in the same position as the original poster, and I don't want to drag my mom to the gate just to show her ID when we have never had to do this before with the shades of green tickets. FYI, the photo they sent looked like a picture of the back of an actual ticket, not a voucher at all so I assume it will be the same as always. But when you are back, could you please let us know your experience!

Thanks!!!

Hi! This would be great if you could update your experience. I am in the same position as the original poster, and I don't want to drag my mom to the gate just to show her ID when we have never had to do this before with the shades of green tickets. FYI, the photo they sent looked like a picture of the back of an actual ticket, not a voucher at all so I assume it will be the same as always. But when you are back, could you please let us know your experience!

Thanks!!!
Here now...the tix we ordered from Shades were already activated. We did not have to show id or get them activated at guest services. Many yrs ago we did, but for the past few they have already and still are already activated.

ETA: If you order from Shades, they come activated. If you order or get from your base, you'll have to activate them at guest relations and show your id. At no time will you have to show your id at the gate.

Last edited:
I ordered military salute tickets from Patrick Airforce Base last summer. They were mailed to my home. We had to activate the tickets and show ID before using the tickets the first time. (We did this at Disney Springs because it worked with our schedule). We didn't have to show ID after that.

We have a family group of 12 going in the Spring. One member is active duty & will be purchasing 6 of the Salute tickets. My husband is a veteran with a service connected disability and will be able to purchase 6 of the Magic Your Way tickets at a near by base. The group will be arriving & leaving on different days, so here are my questions:

Salute tickets: I realize that the active duty family member will need to be present when the Salute tickets are activated. But can they be activated on different days? Some of the group will be arriving 2 days later. Will there be any issues in activating those Salute tickets 2 days after the active military member activates his ticket?

Am I correct that there isn't any way to add an additional day to these special tickets?

Magic Your Way tickets: Some of the group, who will be driving, might want to stay longer. Would they be able to add days to these military tickets? If so, can that be done at a guest service or ticket window in the parks? Or would it have to be done at Shades of Green? Would they be charged only the difference between what was paid and what the price would be for the new ticket length?

This is our first experience with military tickets, so thanks so much for helping us thru this.

We order our tickets from shades of green and they come pre activated. The magic your way tickets with the military discount we have only used for single day tickets so I’m no help on if you can add on.

The disabled veteran may qualify for the salute tickets. I believe if 100% disabled he can buy them.

They do have blackout days mainly a couple weeks for spring break and around Christmas so make sure you are not going during those before you buy.

No, not 100%, so can only purchase the Magic Your Way, which is what some people need anyway because they need more than 6 days which is the maximum for the Salute tickets.

Will there be any issues in activating those Salute tickets 2 days after the active military member activates his ticket?
There shouldn't be an issue other than the military member will need to be present both times. Or as others mention, tickets purchased from Shades of Green are already activated.

Am I correct that there isn't any way to add an additional day to these special tickets?
Salute tickets are only available in 4-day, 5-day or 6-day lengths. If longer is needed, the MYW ticket is an option. I don't believe you can upgrade to a longer Salute ticket because WDW does not actually sell the military promotional tickets. Any upgrade would be to the regular WDW Theme Park Ticket and I believe you lose the discount (upgrade process requires paying to bring the ticket to the current pricing). If debating between 4-day vs 5-day (or 5-day vs 6-day), check the price as these tickets are quite discounted and it may be worth just buying the longer ticket if there is a chance of needing to extend.

Magic Your Way tickets: Some of the group, who will be driving, might want to stay longer. Would they be able to add days to these military tickets? If so, can that be done at a guest service or ticket window in the parks? Or would it have to be done at Shades of Green? Would they be charged only the difference between what was paid and what the price would be for the new ticket length?
Again I don't believe the Military MYW tickets can be upgraded on-site at WDW to extend the number of days because WDW doesn't sell this ticket. Upgrading after using might not be cost-effective even for these tickets that aren't as deeply discounted, though that could depend on date and length of ticket. Again I suggest comparing prices and deciding if a longer ticket might still be a savings for your party.

Keep in mind that your party will need Theme Park Reservations if using either of the military ticket options.

You have received all correct info above, but my question is why don't the people who want longer tickets just buy that length of MYW ticket from the start? Then there is no question about an upgrade feasibility or cost. MYW tickets are available in 1- to 10-day lengths.

You have received all correct info above, but my question is why don't the people who want longer tickets just buy that length of MYW ticket from the start? Then there is no question about an upgrade feasibility or cost. MYW tickets are available in 1- to 10-day lengths.
Plans change all the time. We rarely end up with the number of days of tickets we start with.

The MYW tix are also much more expensive than the salute, so if ppl. aren't positive as to there plans, it makes sense that they'd get the better discounted tix to start with as it's a lil easier cost to swallow.

The MYW tix are also much more expensive than the salute, so if ppl. aren't positive as to there plans, it makes sense that they'd get the better discounted tix to start with as it's a lil easier cost to swallow.
MYW is more expensive than Salute, but depending on dates can still be a considerable savings. I compared a 6-day base MYW to low season in August and the savings is minimal (like $2 + the tax). But compared to peak spring break in March the savings is over $200 (+ the tax). So PP needs to do some research and price comparisons. By contrast, it may only cost ~$20 to get a longer MYW which still be a good discount even if the extra day gets "wasted." It all depends on dates.

Plans change all the time. We rarely end up with the number of days of tickets we start with.
I understand that's true for some families, but if it would save money, I'd think it would be worth starting with the number of days you are quite sure you will need. It wasn't clear from the post whether the plans were firm or not, to me.
But if you start with the "better discounted tix" (assuming you mean salute?), you can't add days to those beyond 6. So if for whatever reason you are starting with MYW anyway (eligibility reasons, need more than 6 tickets or more than 6 days, etc.), you might as well start with the number of days you are confident you will need.

I haven't seen a confirmed answer about the cost/best method to add days to a previously-purchased military MYW, can anyone provide any insights?

The people doing less than 6 park days will buy the Military Salute tickets, and will purchase 1 day longer ..... just in case. For those of us doing more than 6 park days, we'll buy the Magic Your Way tickets, also doing at least 1 day longer, and maybe even 2 days. I was really hoping that we could hold off and upgrade if needed. However, we'll get the extra days now for insurance.
Thanks for all the help from everyone! I appreciate it

Please pardon if this has been answered, first time asking about military tickets. My father is a Vietnam Veteran with 100% disability (PTSD, awarded). Is he able to purchase park tickets for us (me, DW, and DS) without going with us? He has no interest in going to DW while we are DVC members. We are traveling in May and would need a 5 day ticket. Thanks in advance!

Please pardon if this has been answered, first time asking about military tickets. My father is a Vietnam Veteran with 100% disability (PTSD, awarded). Is he able to purchase park tickets for us (me, DW, and DS) without going with us? He has no interest in going to DW while we are DVC members. We are traveling in May and would need a 5 day ticket. Thanks in advance!
As a veteran with a 100% military-related disability, he would qualify for the most deeply discounted salute tickets, which are available as 4-, 5-, or 6-day park hoppers or park hopper plus. But to use those he must purchase one for himself and travel with you.

There are also smaller discounts on Magic Your Way tickets for eligible military members. Those he does not have to be with you to use.

I am planning to purchase MYW tickets from Shades of Green this month. Will we need to make park reservations with these tickets? I thought Disney drop the reservation system for everyone but AP holders?

I am planning to purchase MYW tickets from Shades of Green this month. Will we need to make park reservations with these tickets? I thought Disney drop the reservation system for everyone but AP holders?
Yes, all military tickets require park reservations.

This is because there is no date range attached to them. You can use MYW tickets on whichever dates you choose.

There is a handful of ticket and pass types that still require park reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter