Monorail Restaurant for a mid-day break

slpeters

DIS Veteran
So we have a mid-day break planned for most of our days. We're generally hopping and one of the resorts each day is generally close enough we could walk (we're staying at the Swan). Our big Magic Kingdom day is not shaping up that way. It's looking like we are going to be there all day and I'm not really keen on taking the bus to and fro twice to the same park in the same day so I'm exploring other ways to take a break from the park in the area and have decided that a lengthy dining excursion for late lunch/early dinner that didn't involve a lot of travel would fit the bill.

My initial thought from what people have said was Ohana but I'm not sure I can get a reservation at this point. I have a request in at Touring Plans, but I'm looking for another suggestion: something that would feel like something special but relaxed and where you might be able to leisurely kill as much as two hours without feeling like you were just lollygagging. Which is of course exactly what we would be doing.:P

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kona Café at the Poly or the Wave at the Contemporary (and this way you can walk instead of taking the monorail if you like).

If you go to Kona Cafe at the Poly you could kill time at the Tambu Lounge which is just outside the restaurant. It shouldn't be too busy until people begin rolling in for 'Ohana dinner. There's also Trader Sam's at the Poly but they don't open until 4pm.

So we have a mid-day break planned for most of our days. We're generally hopping and one of the resorts each day is generally close enough we could walk (we're staying at the Swan). Our big Magic Kingdom day is not shaping up that way. It's looking like we are going to be there all day and I'm not really keen on taking the bus to and fro twice to the same park in the same day so I'm exploring other ways to take a break from the park in the area and have decided that a lengthy dining excursion for late lunch/early dinner that didn't involve a lot of travel would fit the bill.

My initial thought from what people have said was Ohana but I'm not sure I can get a reservation at this point. I have a request in at Touring Plans, but I'm looking for another suggestion: something that would feel like something special but relaxed and where you might be able to leisurely kill as much as two hours without feeling like you were just lollygagging. Which is of course exactly what we would be doing.:P

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Of the 3 Monorail hotels, we prefer the shops in Grand Floridian (GF) over the other two resorts - particularly when the live jazz band starts playing in the afternoon.

GF Cafe is 'on-par' with The Wave; we prefer Kona, but Polynesian has the least to 'see' of the 3 Monorail resorts.

You might also consider Wilderness Lodge - a very short boat ride from the front door of MK.

Also consider, Contemporary is the only Monorail resort where you can walk to/from MK.

Lounges at Disney typically serve food too.

Lastly, when back at your resort, Cabana (poolside at Dolphin) serves better than expected food.

For a restaurant, I would go to the Wave. Kill some time at the Contemporary, and then monorail over to the Poly for a dessert...Dole Whip! The Poly lobby is a great place to hang out and take an AC break...

Trail's End at Fort Wilderness would make a great mid-day break. The boat ride is lovely and relaxing and the ambiance of the fort/restaurant is so calm compared to the park that you would really feel restored.

I've had an early dinner at Grand Floridian Cafe and it was really nice. I wouldn't hesitate to go there again--especially because the musicians in the lobby will probably be performing while you are there.

I also like Tiggers Ally's suggestion to try Geyser Point at the Wilderness Lodge. It's very relaxing, sitting outside near the lake. I was there in early August and the food and service were great.

GFC is a nice place for a meal but is it the kind of place you should be lollygagging? I honestly don't know, just a thought.

The Wave would be my 1st choice as the food is good, and you can walk there from park exit in 10 mins. And they tend to not be crowded at lunch, so "lallygagging" would not be frowned upon:D
Another good choice, Kona Cafe or GFC, though hanging around after at GFC would probably be frowned upon. KC is a little more laid back so not so much there.
Whispering Canyon Cafe or Geyser Point are just a boat ride away from the MK. GP especially is a cool hangout by the water

If you can't get into O'hana, I would consider Kona with a stop at Trader Sam's prior to dinner. Trader Sam's opens at 4 pm and it's a lot of fun. You don't have to order the expensive alcoholic beverages either. We go and get mocktails for $4.99. Eat at Kona, get a Dole Whip. You could couple this with a stop at GF to explore the shops, etc. (you can even walk from Poly to GF if you'd like, or take the monorail).

I would also suggest WL. It's a lovely boat ride from MK. Whispering Canyon is a lot of fun and their QS locations are very good as well. The lobby is gorgeous. Ask the front desk for their handout on the history of WL and to get a description of the totems and other decor in the lobby. You can also walk over to BRV to see some of the train cars Walt Disney himself used in his backyard. I would couple this with a boat ride to Ft. W to visit the Tri-Circle D ranch where they house all of the WDW horses (you could eat here as well at Trail's End). There is also a playground here if you have any children with you. The gift shops at both WL and Ft. W are lovely. You can simply take the boat back to MK when you are done.

Kona Kona Kona! It's my absolute favorite for this. You get to hang at the Poly which is beautiful, and I think the food is some of the best for its price at Disney.

They have some decent seating on the 4th floor of the Contemporary. If you want to sit and rest a bit in the AC, it's a quiet place in the early afternoon. Add that with a meal at The Wave (a surprising favorite from my summer trip) and you have a nice afternoon break. For QS, I love Captain Cook's in the Poly! I have to order their pulled pork nachos every trip and I like their udon noodle salad (in the cold case) as well.

Lots of great suggestions here! I'd second the Kona and Wave mentions. Also, the boat to WL is a great idea but I really like the suggestion of the boat to Fort Wilderness for Trails End.

Thanks so much for everyone's help! I think I am leaning towards some mix of food and cocktails at the Polynesian. I think my husband would enjoy Trader Sam's and Kona sounds good. Has anyone done the terrace when they couldn't get into Trader Sam's? Does it have that "we couldn't get in" vibe or is it nice in its own right?

Any restaurant on the loop is a good choice. I've never felt rushed at any of them.

That said, look the the menus and make your choice from those. My family did not really enjoy their entrees at Kona (just not to our taste...all six of us), but loved lunch and dinner at GF Cafe and breakfast at The Wave. If we were taking a break from MK on the 'loop, we'd grab drinks at Trader Sam's and walk to GF Cafe for our meal.

Thanks so much for everyone's help! I think I am leaning towards some mix of food and cocktails at the Polynesian. I think my husband would enjoy Trader Sam's and Kona sounds good. Has anyone done the terrace when they couldn't get into Trader Sam's? Does it have that "we couldn't get in" vibe or is it nice in its own right?

The outdoor terrace is very neat! When I went, I had the spikey pineapple (dole whip with alcohol!) and then listened to the ukulele player!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter