Moonlight Magic Reservations-help!

a) My desired date was at the end of the range ... I could have still canceled my DVC room reservation w/out penalty if we didn't get tickets. (The earliest event dates were already inside the 30-day window and unable to cancel w/out going into holding.)
^^^ THIS ^^^

We're locals and could have gone any night, but I specifically booked a room for the night of 10/3 because we could cancel without penalty if we couldn't get registered.

FWIW, I was glad they opened registration for all the HS Fall dates at the same time. A few reasons:
a) My desired date was at the end of the range ... I could have still canceled my DVC room reservation w/out penalty if we didn't get tickets. (The earliest event dates were already inside the 30-day window and unable to cancel w/out going into holding.)
b) I figured it increased my chances of getting a booking. All of us hitting the website were limited to one event night; not everyone competing in the process was trying for the same event night.
c) Lastly, I'm guessing combining the nights made it easier on their coders to restrict 'successful booking' to the recent rule: "only one event night per park." If each event registration were conducted on separate dates there may have been one extra lookup to run: "Has member already booked an event for this year at this park?" That may not have phased most commercial programmers ... but Disney's team ... oh, shudder the thought.

While I was frustrated by the many errors encountered (server dropped connection, internal server error, too many concurrent users, session timed out, etc.) ... I wasn't put off by having all HS Fall dates lumped into a single registration marathon.

Going into this, we have to ask the question "what is the root problem?" I definitely think you make some good points. I'd like to further answer and of course my "ideas for process improvement" may never actually happen but these are my thoughts:

A) I also don't see why they have registration so last minute either. Staggering them all to be pre-30 days would allow for flexibility for all guests. They have no problem announcing these far in advance that many have planned a trip around it. Personally it would not be a deal breaker for me but I was counting on it in order to experience HS at night (our preferred time to go there).
B) The problem with this is that the website is completely overloaded and with people opening multiple tabs and using multiple devices, it makes it harder for everyone no matter what date they're booking. Breaking it out will not keep it from selling out (arguably I would bet the October date might've been a harder get than some of the Sept dates) but it would make it easier to at least get on and start the process for everyone.
C) Yes, I agree they do have their problems, but again with the amount of calls to their database and server load, breaking it out per date would make that run faster. Plus there's nothing stopping them from running a batch process later to catch people who have registered twice. They could even put it in big bold letters that if you book twice, cancellations will happen based on whatever rules they put forth (I'm mean and would say all bookings would be canceled if trying to game the system but obviously that's not very diplomatic).

We can't always think about what is best for the individual, we all have our preferences and needs. I feel if DVC realizes the members will put up with the cattle call and bull running process mentality, they'll never try to make things better.

Never got an email, but registered online without problem except waiting. The only thing is they didn’t ask for confirmation number, so I don’t know if I was able to get in with my BWV reservation where I check out on the 19th or my cash reservation at ft wilderness for the 19-20, which I would love to cancel

I never got an email either! How do you register online without the email? Do you go straight to the event page on the DVC website? Obviously, I'm too late to pre-register, but hoping to be able to register once it opens up for the public.

Thought the event was called Membership magic not Marketing Magic. Maybe they should rebrand the event.
Seems to me members spend a lot of time and money to be disappointed. Seems like there should be a better way to ensure members staying on the properties have the opportunity to attend “membership events”. The mouse has really lost the guest, (customer) satisfaction focus.

The marketing is for perspective new DVC direct buyers, not existing owners. Being able to tell excited buyers in a sales meeting that if you buy, you can attend free private parities at all of the parks available only to DVC members.

:earsboy: Bill

Going into this, we have to ask the question "what is the root problem?" <snip>

I feel if DVC realizes the members will put up with the cattle call and bull running process mentality, they'll never try to make things better.
Years ago (late 90's through early 2000's), my work team rallied together to get folks registered for an annual IBM business conference held at the WDW Dolphin/Swan/Y&B/BW Conference Centers. At the conference peak (2000, 2001), the event sold out at 20,000 registrations ... in minutes. There were many screens to complete and verify: IBM Partner number, attendee's individual IBM credentials, conference pass selection, payment processing and hotel room booking. Lots of moving pieces.

While we felt there was always stiff competition to snag a spot, we didn't encounter the number of technology errors still plaguing Disney's systems. I doubt this is really a technology problem (IBM had it licked 20+ years ago) ... but that Disney simply doesn't care. At least, they don't care sufficiently to make their website a priority.

Put another way ... why should they bother? The event is sold out. That metric might be the only thing being evaluated ... and thus, the present system is successful.

Years ago (late 90's through early 2000's), my work team rallied together to get folks registered for an annual IBM business conference held at the WDW Dolphin/Swan/Y&B/BW Conference Centers. At the conference peak (2000, 2001), the event sold out at 20,000 registrations ... in minutes. There were many screens to complete and verify: IBM Partner number, attendee's individual IBM credentials, conference pass selection, payment processing and hotel room booking. Lots of moving pieces.

While we felt there was always stiff competition to snag a spot, we didn't encounter the number of technology errors still plaguing Disney's systems. I doubt this is really a technology problem (IBM had it licked 20+ years ago) ... but that Disney simply doesn't care. At least, they don't care sufficiently to make their website a priority.

Put another way ... why should they bother? The event is sold out. That metric might be the only thing being evaluated ... and thus, the present system is successful.

Bolded: yes that's correct, it is. I do wish their website functionality was a bigger priority.

We are in the UK. Last year we had an email for AK this year no email. 2pm our time we sat down with 3 iPads and 2 phones. We had one time out after I had put half our membership number in. 3 crashed completely with error server so had to start again. These never got past the the spinning circle which you dare not take your eyes off.
Finally got through on one of the iPads and successfully booked. Took 40 very stressful minutes.
Way worse than fast pass day.

We are in the UK. Last year we had an email for AK this year no email. 2pm our time we sat down with 3 iPads and 2 phones. We had one time out after I had put half our membership number in. 3 crashed completely with error server so had to start again. These never got past the the spinning circle which you dare not take your eyes off.
Finally got through on one of the iPads and successfully booked. Took 40 very stressful minutes.
Way worse than fast pass day.

It shouldn't be this hard. I've successfully gotten Cinderella's Breakfast, Value rooms at AKV and many other events over the last 25 years. This was a different beast. It should have been broken into different booking days for different party dates to provide a fighting chance. Also, on social media I'm reading about many people bragging about how they're now attending all the parties, or at least most of them. As locals, they just book a single night and make their party reservations. Heck, they're probably even pros by now at navigating the reservation system. My family will continue to enjoy our vacation. However, we have been planning on purchasing both Riviera and Fort Wilderness points in the coming years ...... those plans have been scrapped. Good move, Disney!

The marketing is for perspective new DVC direct buyers, not existing owners. Being able to tell excited buyers in a sales meeting that if you buy, you can attend free private parities at all of the parks available only to DVC members.

:earsboy: Bill

We were prospective new buyers, as we planned on purchasing Riviera and Fort Wilderness when they eventually open. We are also current owners of 4 resorts. Not smart on their part to exclude so many.

I had 2 browsers and my phone refreshing, internet can be slow sometimes.

We're in! I had 2 browsers going as well.

I had 2 tabs open and one of them finally went through.

I did both, between 2 open browsers.

Got in with 4 browsers open.

Did also try on iPhone & desktop which I believe was set to explorer. Was getting ready to try Firefox when the iPad produced

I just let it keep refreshing on my iPad and desktop...iPad won and I registered on it.

I had three different devices going trying to get in.

Yay I got in!!took 20mins on 3devices

Left it alone (with multiple browser windows trying).

I eventually was trying on two computers and my phone, but the original laptop that I let circle since 8am is the one that finally connected.

I got the internal error a few times also but was trying on 3 different devices and finally got it on my chrome book!

Had 2 computers open and got in after about 20 min for 9/19.

Was trying 2 different browsers on the laptop and on my phone.

I had the browsers on my phone, iPad and laptop open.

I am on the west coast and was trying on my phone and work laptop.

I had 3 electronics (laptop, Iphone, & Ipad) all ready to click at 9am.

2pm our time we sat down with 3 iPads and 2 phones.

I cannot imagine why the website was so slow. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

I only used my laptop. OK, I admit, 2 windows because I was so nervous. I have had past experiences (concerts, etc) where I had one screen paused waiting to get thru, partially in, while people logged in later than me and zipped right thru and were successful. Because I was stuck in some sort of endless loop or something. But, only 2 windows trying to get in. I got bounced once after entering my DVC ID (2X), but got thru and done by 9:25.

I cannot imagine why the website was so slow. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

I was thinking the same thing. Funny thing is I was using my computer and opened it on my iPhone. iPhone was super slow, so I closed it after maybe 1 minute. I got through with just the original desktop going FWIW.

Last edited:

I have repeatedly told Member Services that I feel until the system is fixed and one does not lose the ticket because the system looses the application due to internal error, the whole process is unfair. Yes, they may count it as a success, but I do not think it is.

I actually booked a FoP FP for Wednesday October 3rd 7-8PM when the date for FP became available. I had my doubts about getting in. So, I have a back up!:goodvibes

I ask them to fix the system, they keep telling me to try in September, but I will be on a cruise ship in the Pacific. What chance would I have with ship connection even if I get up at 3 AM??

Last edited:
Past experience with Disney's flawed systems has taught many of us to try to access on multiple devices. I can't tell you how many times people have reported being on hold on multiple phones only to have the last one connected be the one they were actually able to get through successfully on. Same thing happens with the computers & mobile devices all the time. My own experience the other day was the same since the last device I tried was the one I actually was able to book with even after losing the connection, the other two never got anywhere beyond the spinning wheel. Their queing system obviously doesn't work the way it should and in no way is it fair to anyone. I wish they would go back to the old lottery type system where you put in your name during a specified timeframe and they randomly chose who got to attend, book a reservation or whatever.

Past experience with Disney's flawed systems has taught many of us to try to access on multiple devices. I can't tell you how many times people have reported being on hold on multiple phones only to have the last one connected be the one they were actually able to get through successfully on. Same thing happens with the computers & mobile devices all the time. My own experience the other day was the same since the last device I tried was the one I actually was able to book with even after losing the connection, the other two never got anywhere beyond the spinning wheel. Their queing system obviously doesn't work the way it should and in no way is it fair to anyone. I wish they would go back to the old lottery type system where you put in your name during a specified timeframe and they randomly chose who got to attend, book a reservation or whatever.

How long has it been this way?....I guess MM in the winter months aren't as popular as the couple I signed up for didn't sell out as quickly. As I recall, even up until open enrollment. This past Thurs was beyond frustrating and I was unsuccessful in the end. Went to voice a complaint with member services just to hear the wait was over 180 minutes. Grrrr.... Emailed them instead and received as response, stating I could try again on the 13th. Their system needs improvement stat ... I wonder why they don't offer more nights if this has gotten so popular? It can't be good for business when this is offered as a perk, just to find the reality is "Welcome home, you'll will need to be able to devote possibly an hour trying to secure your reservation to enjoy 3 and still may get shut out" :(

How long has it been this way?....I guess MM in the winter months aren't as popular as the couple I signed up for didn't sell out as quickly. As I recall, even up until open enrollment. This past Thurs was beyond frustrating and I was unsuccessful in the end. Went to voice a complaint with member services just to hear the wait was over 180 minutes. Grrrr.... Emailed them instead and received as response, stating I could try again on the 13th. Their system needs improvement stat ... I wonder why they don't offer more nights if this has gotten so popular? It can't be good for business when this is offered as a perk, just to find the reality is "Welcome home, you'll will need to be able to devote possibly an hour trying to secure your reservation to enjoy 3 and still may get shut out" :(

While I agree with them addressing the mess that was this past Thursday, it sounds as though you've been lucky to attend other events this year. Personally, I'd be happy with just one.

Agree. I was at work on my phone so couldn’t use more than 1 device. But sitting there I was wondering how many people had many devices going and that’s why the website was overwhelmed. I got the event on my one device too. I refreshed myself the entire 25 minutes it took. I didn’t see any point in letting the system refresh for me like it said. Even after getting the event in the end, this system was frustrating, and needs fixed. The fact that locals can book 1 night and do every park MM (1at each park) all year is not fair to those that only get one opportunity because it FINALLY hit on a week they were going to be there. We’ve got lucky and this is the second one that just happens to fall when we were already there. We also got lucky that both times, I actually got it. Although the one in April wasn’t as hard to get- I just went online at 9 and booked it with no issue. I don’t anticipate that it will happen very often that we can go since we book one week in spring and one in fall every year at 7 months out.

I booked the one at AK in April and it was NOT like this at all. I just logged on at 9:00 and booked it. No issue at all. I was reading how the ones over the summer were crazy so when I saw that we had an opportunity to go sept 19 because we were already there, I knew it wouldn’t be as easy. Boy I wasn’t expecting that, but I did end up getting it. I actually now need to change plans around because I didn’t plan on actually getting it, I was pretty sure we wouldn’t since we weren’t even booked on points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter