Mostly Off Topic - if that is ok!

Update!

We got our visas, booked the crate and have airplane tickets ...
We are landing in Sydney on the 9th of June!! :goodvibes:scared1::goodvibes:scared1::goodvibes (not sure which one fits my mood better!)

A few days in Sydney then into Canberra (where we have the fun task of finding a rental).

I can't believe this is really happening :yay:

That is wonderful news Chesire. Very exciting. Moving to a new country would be the ultimate adventure.

Another late comer to this thread and wanted to say "hi". I too live in Canberra, but am down south, although I travel North every few weeks. It has been many years since I have lived on that side of town so I'm not much help.

I'm down south too Sharkmeister and I too know nothing about the north hahaha

Who knew Canberra had a North and a south... :confused3
I thought it was just radiating circles... :rolleyes1

[You know I couldn't resist that....]

BTW...Welcome to Oz :teeth:
Vegemite - Might I suggest to replace PB&J - Vegemite and Raspberry Jam :thumbsup2

Who knew Canberra had a North and a south... :confused3
I thought it was just radiating circles... :rolleyes1

[You know I couldn't resist that....]

BTW...Welcome to Oz :teeth:
Vegemite - Might I suggest to replace PB&J - Vegemite and Raspberry Jam :thumbsup2

Isn't this suburb called Sydney?

(My sincere apologies to every other Sydneysider, who live in that magnificent city....this is only meant for Queenie.....and I couldn't resist! :teeth:)

Update!

We got our visas, booked the crate and have airplane tickets ...
We are landing in Sydney on the 9th of June!! :goodvibes:scared1::goodvibes:scared1::goodvibes (not sure which one fits my mood better!)

A few days in Sydney then into Canberra (where we have the fun task of finding a rental).

I can't believe this is really happening :yay:

Welcome to Australia Chesire!

This is really happening...:wizard:

Another late comer to this thread and wanted to say "hi". I too live in Canberra, but am down south, although I travel North every few weeks. It has been many years since I have lived on that side of town so I'm not much help.

:lmao: to me that reads like a HUGE planned excursion! I like to think of suburban Canberra as roughly a bit bigger than the size of WDW (not done the calcs though - anyone? :teacher:). So a trip to the mysterious north takes - what? - 15 - 20 mins? (Unless on an Action bus when it would take 3 hours with 2 changes :sad2:).
I'm ex-north sydney where none of my "south" friends would visit cause they were scared of the Harbour Bridge (chickens). Funnily enough I find some Canberrans think the same way about Commonwealth Ave Bridge! :rotfl:

Well Ladies - Inner North girlie here. Where the streets are in a grid but they are all cul de sacs :rotfl2:

Cheshire: congratulations on finalising and booking. Stay on AllHomes and start registering with real estate agents. Rentals are tight in Canberra so keep looking.

It's all a little funny Chesire. I'm not from Canberra so I can laugh about it but Canberrans take it very seriously. We only have a population of just under 300,000 I think but the town does seem to be quite divided. People who grow up north side, stay north side and the same goes with the south :lmao:.

Some of my clients who are from the north, say they have never driven this far before when they come to see me. I'm a 20-25 minute drive maximum :rotfl2::rotfl2:.

Very strange.

Another Southsider here.... We have considered moving, but would miss the views of the Brindabella Mountains too much.

I think if you are going to UC, and will have one car, live on the Northside.

A Canberra meet would be good, a year ago today was our last day at WDW. I have started thinking about April 2012, we have been feeling very remorseful.

I think if you are going to UC, and will have one car, live on the Northside.

A Canberra meet would be good, a year ago today was our last day at WDW. I have started thinking about April 2012, we have been feeling very remorseful.

Thanks ... going to try to get within walking or biking distance to the University, not sure how well that will work out!

May I ask how long of a flight it was to WDW please? If we are going to fly back, it might be better to fly to Florida instead or California!

May I ask how long of a flight it was to WDW please? If we are going to fly back, it might be better to fly to Florida instead or California!

We flew via New Jersey with a Qantas/Continental flight. On the way over we stopped in Tokyo an the way back Hong Kong. We stayed In New York, before going to Orlando. I think our actual international flights took between 18-20 hours plus all the hanging around.

Qantas has a new flight going via Dalla - will be interested to see how long this flight takes.

Thanks ... going to try to get within walking or biking distance to the University, not sure how well that will work out!

About 14 hours to the West Coast of the USA and then about 5 hours to Orlando.

Door to door: Canberra to WDW is roughly21 - 24 hours travelling - depends on connections and if you fly to Sydney or go by road.
You can now go two ways: through LAX or with Qantas through Dallas. I am going through Dallas on my next trip, snagging one of those half price fares, but the connection time isn't as good AND because the DFW flight leaves Sydney in the afternoon you get to WDW at like 8:30pm. My last couple of trips to the US I flew Canberra-Brisbane-LAX and timing and connections were great!
Definitely - a Canberra-meet is needed. Somewhere iconic though - somewhere typically Canberra!

Definitely - a Canberra-meet is needed. Somewhere iconic though - somewhere typically Canberra!

How about that big roundabout called Parliament house? :lmao:

Or Telecom Tower...
Or the High Court...it's the VIBE!!!

I'm sure if you keep going round and round you'll find somewhere :rotfl2:

Just thought I would pop in and say welcome to Australia. I assume you are here now. Though probably busy trying to organize things. Sorry we couldn't make it warmer for you. Canberra is a killer in winter. Just let us know if you need any help or info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter