Mother of all Pressure Sores

Michigan

Mom of the Rolling Crew
Megan has a hugh pressue sore on the back of her knee and the muscle is exposed. :sad: I took her to the ped yesterday and she told us to go to U of M this afternoon (It was funny she said don't go the emergency room on a Friday night you don't want those doctors :scared: )

I dread going, the last time the plastic surgeon read me the riot act because she had one on her toe and I didn't know about it. He said I should be checking her skin everyday, right you find me a 16 year old that is going to let you check their skin. Since she is paralyzed there she didn't feel it and I didn't see it until she was in the family room with me crawling on the floor without her pants.

I'm sorry to hear that. I get pressure sores occaissionally and they are pretty frustrating. Mine usually go away with over the counter antibiotics, bandages and keeping pressure off the area. On the other hand I've never gotten one as bad as you describe.

I admit I'm not great about checking myself each night. I'm a paraplegic and I should know better but even after 28 years I still get lazy at times. One thing that usually tips me off on a pressure sore I've missed is a wet spot on a piece of clothing.

If she does give you a hard time about checking her skin then maybe it's time for her to take over the job? Explain to her that someone has to do it and if she won't let you do it then she'll have to do it. Besides if she's able to do it she should be taking responsibility for her own personal care.

Good luck to you and your Daughter on clearing it up. I hope it heals fast. :earsboy:

Sorry to hear about it.
I'm lucky in a way that my DD needs so much care because I do have opportunity to see her skin, but I'll admit I don't inspect her skin every day. She's not paralyzed, but has had some little pressure sores on her butt, so I should check.

We are back from the hospital and believe it or not they told me to keep doing what I've been doing and to follow up with plastics on the 16th. I've been putting gauze in sailine and then pouring beet sugar on it and then wrapping it.

:)
Hope it's much improved when you go back.

just a question about the
beet sugar procedure...

so how's it going? Over the years I've had different patients with decub's, pressure sores, bed sores etc. Each enduring various treatments, each having different successes.. everything from sugar ,to Maalox, to soft tissue lavage to sterile whirlpools.

Just curious about your success with the beet sugar.

Thanks. Hope she is healing quickly.

It's going good, it is closing up and the area around is nice and pink and bleeds when it is wiped so new tissue is growing.

Her myelo doctor that is now retired is the one that told me to use beet sugar before for a pressure sore and he also said once it gets to where it is almost closed to paint it with Milk of Mag.

We are going on a cruise the end of Feb. so I hope it is all healed by then. She is going on Monday to see plastics for a follow up from the ER visit that her Ped. had us go to.

Cindy

Hi Cindy, glad to hear Megan is doing better. Hope you have fun on the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter