Motorized scooter questions…

Maistre Gracey

DIS Veteran
Hi there!!!

We are local to WDW, and plan to do a one day at Epcot for F&W.
My MIL will be with us, and she has severe back issues. She cannot walk more than a few feet. I thought it would be good for her to realize she can still have fun, and suggested a scooter.
She is worried that with a scooter she will need to lean forward to grab the steering bars, which she cannot do. She thinks a wheelchair may be better.

Questions..,
1) will she need to lean forward?
2) is the steering mechanism adjustable so she can sit back?
3) how fatiguing is it to push a wheelchair around for several hours?
4) anything else I should know?

Thanks!!

I'm guessing that you since you are local that you plan on renting at the park rather than an off-site vendor. How do you plan to get her from the car to the front of the park? Disney does not allow their rental ECVs (or wheelchairs) to be used in the parking lots. Courtesy wheelchairs are available in the parking lot but they are few and far between. The earlier that you can get to the park to rent an ECV the better as they can run out.

It's been a few years since I rented an ECV directly at a park, but based on photos on the web, it appears that the tiller is adjustable. They should be able to make whatever adjustments are necessary for her comfort.

That can depend on a number of things: 1) the stature of your MIL; 2) The condition of the wheelchair; and, 3) the deceptive inclines in EPCOT (the bridge between France and the UK can be steep). The best thing is to take it in turns amongst the people in the group to spread the workload.

I will add this... do NOT use a "transfer chair". These are the ones with small wheels in the back as well as the front. I did that with my mom one year at MK and ended up rubbing my hands raw.

We rent a scooter from offsite every trip for my mom. Yes, the “steering wheel” is able to be positioned closer if needed, very easy to adjust.
Years ago, the first trip my mom needed assistance, we used a wheelchair. Never again for us. She is only 5’5” and 120lbs. It was exhausting pushing it all day, and that was with 5 of us taking turns - and this was with an upgraded chair we brought with us, with nicer wheels.
Prior to our trip I took her to the grocery store & let her practice with the scooters they have there, which are similar to what you would get if you rent from Disney. She practiced turns, backing up, etc. This helped her feel a little more comfortable driving it.
Hope this helps, and have a fabulous time.

My MIL will be with us, and she has severe back issues. She cannot walk more than a few feet. I thought it would be good for her to realize she can still have fun, and suggested a scooter.
She is worried that with a scooter she will need to lean forward to grab the steering bars, which she cannot do. She thinks a wheelchair may be better.
I would say this is a safety issue that may preclude her from using an ECV. It sounds like she’s hesitant about her ability to operate it, and that may be enough reason for her to use a wheelchair instead. You didn’t say her age/stage, but the technology for some may be too much.

My mother came with us for her first trips to WDW starting at age 92. She wouldn’t even consider an ECV (nor would she at home), so wheelchair it was. She had her own which was pretty light and portable, so for trips at home and flying, and around the resorts and parks, it was perfect. (And I think this is what pp’s are referring to as a “transport chair”.) She was pretty small so pushing her wasn’t a problem. We all took turns. Getting her out of it and onto rides took some effort, and she was anxious (and embarrassed) about it, but we worked it out and she had a lot of fun.

I broke two toes and wracked my foot up pretty good in the pool on a recent trip and had to use a wheelchair at Epcot. There was one in the parking lot we used and it was fine. The only thing I wished is that we’d switched it out for one that didn’t have a long pole sticking up as it wouldn’t fit in a couple of places, but other than that, no problem.

I hope you have an enjoyable trip with your MIL!

The scooters can be adjusted, so leaning forward should not be a problem. Much easier to use than a wheelchair. When my sister hurt her back we tried one day with a wheelchair, and it was miserable for her and us. It made her feel sick to her stomach, and it tired us out. She has no problem with feeling motion sick using a scooter.

1) will she need to lean forward?
No.
2) is the steering mechanism adjustable so she can sit back?
Yeah, either by a knob at the bottom or the nicer scooters have a lever that is MUCH EASIER to use. (Especially if she’s one handed like me).
Considering most of the rental wheelchairs are of the “off-the shelf” type, very hard and most of them have been HEAVILY USED before and on some surfaces (like most of the walkways in Animal Kingdom), can be very bumpy unless the chair has a GOOD cushion (more than 1” in thickness).

I wheelchaired my mom on several trips. She was in her eighties, and I was in my sixties at the time. My mom was about 120 pounds. I was overweight. At home she used a walker. I managed for five days in a row pushing a wheelchair. I did not have help. We took breaks by seeing shows and eating and such. It wasn't constant pushing. My mom was a happy camper. She could enjoy everything without worrying about driving a scooter. In her case I would not have allowed her to do a scooter anyway; she had dementia. If you are able to share pushing the wheelchair with others; it shouldn't be too bad.

There are many who dart out in front of you at the park, especially children. You have to be pretty quick to stop or move away from whoever with a scooter. If you are going to do a scooter rental by all means she should practice with a store scooter at Walmart or wherever. Make sure you feel she can handle it.

I'm guessing that you since you are local that you plan on renting at the park rather than an off-site vendor. How do you plan to get her from the car to the front of the park? Disney does not allow their rental ECVs (or wheelchairs) to be used in the parking lots. Courtesy wheelchairs are available in the parking lot but they are few and far between. The earlier that you can get to the park to rent an ECV the better as they can run out.

It's been a few years since I rented an ECV directly at a park, but based on photos on the web, it appears that the tiller is adjustable. They should be able to make whatever adjustments are necessary for her comfort.

That can depend on a number of things: 1) the stature of your MIL; 2) The condition of the wheelchair; and, 3) the deceptive inclines in EPCOT (the bridge between France and the UK can be steep). The best thing is to take it in turns amongst the people in the group to spread the workload.

I will add this... do NOT use a "transfer chair". These are the ones with small wheels in the back as well as the front. I did that with my mom one year at MK and ended up rubbing my hands raw.
The parking lot issue is a valid point. That said, because we are drinkers, we will be staying at one of the Epcot resorts for one night. I assume with valet parking she could be accommodated.

We rent a scooter from offsite every trip for my mom. Yes, the “steering wheel” is able to be positioned closer if needed, very easy to adjust.
Years ago, the first trip my mom needed assistance, we used a wheelchair. Never again for us. She is only 5’5” and 120lbs. It was exhausting pushing it all day, and that was with 5 of us taking turns - and this was with an upgraded chair we brought with us, with nicer wheels.
Prior to our trip I took her to the grocery store & let her practice with the scooters they have there, which are similar to what you would get if you rent from Disney. She practiced turns, backing up, etc. This helped her feel a little more comfortable driving it.
Hope this helps, and have a fabulous time.
Valuable input indeed….

I would say this is a safety issue that may preclude her from using an ECV. It sounds like she’s hesitant about her ability to operate it, and that may be enough reason for her to use a wheelchair instead. You didn’t say her age/stage, but the technology for some may be too much.

My mother came with us for her first trips to WDW starting at age 92. She wouldn’t even consider an ECV (nor would she at home), so wheelchair it was. She had her own which was pretty light and portable, so for trips at home and flying, and around the resorts and parks, it was perfect. (And I think this is what pp’s are referring to as a “transport chair”.) She was pretty small so pushing her wasn’t a problem. We all took turns. Getting her out of it and onto rides took some effort, and she was anxious (and embarrassed) about it, but we worked it out and she had a lot of fun.

I broke two toes and wracked my foot up pretty good in the pool on a recent trip and had to use a wheelchair at Epcot. There was one in the parking lot we used and it was fine. The only thing I wished is that we’d switched it out for one that didn’t have a long pole sticking up as it wouldn’t fit in a couple of places, but other than that, no problem.

I hope you have an enjoyable trip with your MIL!
Thank you!! I just hope she would handle the scooter better than her car. She has a led foot!!!

Another thing that you should consider if you rent a manual is to see if the rental company states what make/model of wheelchair(s) they rent or if they even have a picture of em online. Also, it would probably be a good idea to call the rental place and ask how old the chairs are and if they’re in good working order and if they supply a seat cushion for comfort.

I would stay away from the “transport chairs” like the one down below because most people find them uncomfortable on uneven surfaces and if all of the wheels are the same size, can be tough to push on something like carpet.

IMG_6687.jpeg

I don’t understand the negative recommendations about the type of chair pictured above. That is the type of chair we had for my mother (for years) and it was fantastic. It literally came everywhere with us (doctor’s appts, restaurants, trips, ballgames, etc.). She loved it, and it folded up super easily in the car. My FIL actually used it for a time later and he was 6 feet tall! It worked really well for us both at home and at Disney. On the airplane we took it right up to the door, then they handled it for us until we landed and they gave it back. Around the parks and resorts it made life easy for all of us. I‘d wished I had it when I broke my toes!

Searching around it looks like you can buy one through Home Depot online should you be interested.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Drive-M...ansport-Wheelchair-in-Blue-dfl19-bl/204124155

I don’t understand the negative recommendations about the type of chair pictured above. That is the type of chair we had for my mother (for years) and it was fantastic. It literally came everywhere with us (doctor’s appts, restaurants, trips, ballgames, etc.). She loved it, and it folded up super easily in the car. My FIL actually used it for a time later and he was 6 feet tall! It worked really well for us both at home and at Disney. On the airplane we took it right up to the door, then they handled it for us until we landed and they gave it back. Around the parks and resorts it made life easy for all of us. I‘d wished I had it when I broke my toes!

Searching around it looks like you can buy one through Home Depot online should you be interested.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Drive-M...ansport-Wheelchair-in-Blue-dfl19-bl/204124155
Maybe you have had luck with these transport chairs, but for when I have pushed individuals in them they are only good on solid flat surfaces. Good for shopping centers or flat asphalt paved parks.

I have been the pusher many times when trying these for city trips where there are hills and cobblestones or zoos with lots of different surfaces. The person sat in the chair was not comfortable and I was hurting after. The transport chairs are now only used for known flat surfaces.

Yes, the transfer chairs are lighter and smaller to put in trunks of smaller vehicles, but they also are not really great in all situations. As for taking them up to the plane and leaving them there to go under and be brought back, this is a moot point. They do that for all mobility devices. We have done this in our family with rollators, wheelchairs, transport chairs, strollers and mobility scooters.

We have done both with my mom. We all (even mom) enjoy the scooter best. She is not "confined" to going where the person who is pushing her is going. We do stay together but there is more of a sense of independence. Highly recommend trying at a store first, but my mom's ECV that we rented wasn't as wide as the store one. Plus hers sat nicer I feel. We rented from an outside company. If renting from Disney and staying at an Epcot resort, is she able to walk from the resort to the park? Even Beach Club is a small walk for someone who struggles. Dropping her off at the main lobby of hotel will not be an issue, even if you are not valeting. We love having family come with us and love that my mom's grandchildren will have great Disney memories of being all together with their gramma. The ECV has allowed that. She has had bouts of skin cancer on her face and she does get a canopy too along with the visor she wears. Disney ECV's do not offer that. Also the fleet of ECVs by Disney are new as my trip this summer it is clear they are new! If renting from outside group, the ECV will be waiting for you at the resort and you will be able to use it 100% of the trip - both in and out of the park. Enjoy!

Thanks to all repliers…
I’m going to show this thread to my MIL and let her make the decision.
Seems like she could try the ECV once you get to Epcot and see if she can be comfortable sitting in it.

She still has to get to Epcot from your Epcot resort. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something but even with valet parking she has to walk more than a few feet to the room - and from the room to Epcot - and from Epcot back to the room. If she cannot walk more than a few feet, how does she get around at home - a personal wheelchair?

Maybe you have had luck with these transport chairs, but for when I have pushed individuals in them they are only good on solid flat surfaces. Good for shopping centers or flat asphalt paved parks.

I have been the pusher many times when trying these for city trips where there are hills and cobblestones or zoos with lots of different surfaces. The person sat in the chair was not comfortable and I was hurting after. The transport chairs are now only used for known flat surfaces.

Yes, the transfer chairs are lighter and smaller to put in trunks of smaller vehicles, but they also are not really great in all situations. As for taking them up to the plane and leaving them there to go under and be brought back, this is a moot point. They do that for all mobility devices. We have done this in our family with rollators, wheelchairs, transport chairs, strollers and mobility scooters.
What’s moot is if MIL can’t operate the ECV safely.

What’s moot is if MIL can’t operate the ECV safely.

It really doesn't sound like it though. Having a "lead foot" isn't a problem as ecvs are not operated with your feet. And it is simple enough to put them in turtle mode so speeding isn't a problem either.

One other thing to remember with push wheelchairs is that suddenly, it seems EVERY pathway in EVERY park is uphill..... both ways.... LOL

I never considered how many hills there were until I was on a trip years ago with my very pregnant daughter, and even though she would try to help by propelling the big back wheel and Epcot's Land pavilion
almost did me in!

Last edited:
The problem I have most with ECVs is that there isn't a brake... you need to just release the forward lever to roll to a stop.... it's pretty quick, but not instant like a brake. And people are ALWAYS stepping in front of you... especially kids who are excited and not paying attention. Also they are very quiet so people don't hear you behind them. I have had many very near misses in my trips....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter