Motorized scooter questions…

One other thing to remember with push wheelchairs is that suddenly, it seems EVERY pathway in EVERY park is uphill..... both ways.... LOL

I never considered how many hills there were until I was on a trip years ago with my very pregnant daughter, and even though she would try to help by propelling the big back wheel and Epcot's Land pavilion
almost did me in!
The Hill in between France and England is especially notorious for this.

Pea-n-Me they have already been told that their mom won't have to lean forward to use the scooter.
Maxiesmom, that still doesn’t mean that MIL will necessarily be comfortable using it or that every scooter will be able to be pulled forward enough for her to safely operate it. This is what she’s said. Not everyone wants to use one and some prefer a wheelchair, and that’s ok.

ETA I tried really hard once in WalMart, at home, to get my mother to try out the ECV they had in the store. its operation was simple and I sat on it to show her. I managed to get her on it but she began to get so anxious she started to shake and became diaphoretic! She just didn’t want to do it! Some people are like that! Not just anxious, but physically unable! In those cases a wheelchair will be preferable.

Last edited:
My MIL will be with us, and she has severe back issues. She cannot walk more than a few feet. I thought it would be good for her to realize she can still have fun, and suggested a scooter.
If MIL is on Medicare, she should be eligible to be medically assessed as to need for an electric wheelchair or scooter of her own.

I’ve seen scooters galore, few actual electric WCs in the parks. Could be as they are more suited for indoor environments?

The problem I have most with ECVs is that there isn't a brake... you need to just release the forward lever to roll to a stop.... it's pretty quick, but not instant like a brake. And people are ALWAYS stepping in front of you... especially kids who are excited and not paying attention. Also they are very quiet so people don't hear you behind them. I have had many very near misses in my trips....
So - having my own ECV (GOGO Elite Traveller) and taking it to Disney dozens of times - here’s my take on all this:
1 - they’re VERY easy to drive
2 - they do NOT ‘ROLL’ to a stop - when you take your thumb off the accelerator - you stop - there’s no rolling
3 - 3 wheel scooters are easier to maneuver - especially in the queues
4 - driving one of the behemoth ECVs at the grocery store or a big box store as ‘practice’ is like trying to practice driving a compact car by driving a bus…they really don’t compare.
5 - in crowds or in the parks - just turn the speed dial all the way to ‘turtle’ and go slow.

If MIL is on Medicare, she should be eligible to be medically assessed as to need for an electric wheelchair or scooter of her own.

I’ve seen scooters galore, few actual electric WCs in the parks. Could be as they are more suited for indoor environments?
Or custom built which is really hard to get approved for.

I broke two toes and wracked my foot up pretty good in the pool on a recent trip and had to use a wheelchair at Epcot. There was one in the parking lot we used and it was fine. The only thing I wished is that we’d switched it out for one that didn’t have a long pole sticking up as it wouldn’t fit in a couple of places, but other than that, no problem.

I hope you have an enjoyable trip with your MIL!
The wheelchair you found in the parking lot was to assist guests to and from the parking lot. It wasn't supposed to be allowed into the park for use all day. It's a courtesy chair WDW provides until the guest can rent one at the park.

The wheelchair you found in the parking lot was to assist guests to and from the parking lot. It wasn't supposed to be allowed into the park for use all day. It's a courtesy chair WDW provides until the guest can rent one at the park.
It was given to us by a cast member, but thanks, I‘ll keep that in mind for future injuries.

Something that is getting more and more common at theme parks and zoos near us (Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, LA Zoo, San Diego Zoo and Safari Park) are these lightweight devices that can attach to pretty much any manual wheelchair and make it a power chair. There are a lot of different types now, but the one that seems to be most common for the parks is the EZRIDE+, which everyone DH has spoken with says has power to spare at the end of a park open to park close day, even on an 8 AM to Midnight day at Disneyland.

There are other ones DH has seen that have the option to allow the driver to control and then when needed switch to allowing someone else to control, which could be useful for some.

And by all accounts this method is substantially less expensive than getting a regular power chair, especially say a folding power chair.

@Evita_W: Glad your posted this. I know someone with a progressive health issue that is getting worse and may need to go to being a full time wheelchair user. They hate the idea and size of the electric wheelchairs and prefers the manual chairs. I had totally forgotten about these because the first time I saw them years ago, they ran about $5K so my sister went with an EVC. This is game changer at about $1K now.

Courtesy wheelchairs are for use getting between the parking lot and the park entrance. Whether a CM suggested using it or it was found it at one of the carrels, they are not intended for use in the parks. WDW rents wheelchairs at each park for those who need one to get around the park; another option is to rent from a 3rd party vendor so you would have the wheelchair available for use to/from the park entrance and around your resort.

@Maistre Gracey, ECV rentals are $50 per day at WDW. My concern about renting an ECV at Epcot is getting your MIL from the resort to the International Gate since she cannot walk any more than a few steps. You may want to also check with the local ECV rental companies to see if they might be able to rent you an ECV for just a day or two. I use Gold Mobility when I'm at WDW and they deliver to me at my resort. Their price is $230 for 1-9 days. But, since you are local you may be able to negotiate a lower price for 2 days (your arrival and departure days) if you pick up/drop off yourself. They're on 192 just east of Old Town.

3) how fatiguing is it to push a wheelchair around for several hours?
I just did this last month with my grandmother. Everyone has hit on going up hill (looking at you Epcot!) But I don't think (I might have skipped the post if it has. Apologies.) anyone has touched base on having to hold the wheelchair as you are going back down with people in front of you: it sucks, okay? I've got a bad knee that will pop out of the socket if I get up wrong or turn to quickly and while going up hill with that was a pain, having to keep her from rolling into people who just randomly stop on a decline (Looking at you dude in the pink hat who got mad at me for grazing your leg: I can't stop on a dime! I'm sorry!) I learned to use one of the brakes (I know it sounds like it makes everything harder...it does, but it keeps me from losing control of the chair going down. I learned to do it in line for Soarin.)

It can get pretty tiring, luckily though, one person in your party already has a seat so you can try to find anywhere that you fit for a break (or if there are more people, switch out.) Ultimately though, how often you need a break really depends on both you and who you're pushing. My grandmother weighs 120 soaking wet, the chair added a good 30 lbs, but I have a bad knee and the upper body strength of a dandelion lol.

Courtesy wheelchairs are for use getting between the parking lot and the park entrance. Whether a CM suggested using it or it was found it at one of the carrels, they are not intended for use in the parks. WDW rents wheelchairs at each park for those who need one to get around the park; another option is to rent from a 3rd party vendor so you would have the wheelchair available for use to/from the park entrance and around your resort.
Good to know. Nobody explained that to us at all, or we would’ve been happy to rent a better wheelchair. It’s not something we’ve ever had to deal with personally before.

@Maistre Gracey, ECV rentals are $50 per day at WDW. My concern about renting an ECV at Epcot is getting your MIL from the resort to the International Gate since she cannot walk any more than a few steps. You may want to also check with the local ECV rental companies to see if they might be able to rent you an ECV for just a day or two. I use Gold Mobility when I'm at WDW and they deliver to me at my resort. Their price is $230 for 1-9 days. But, since you are local you may be able to negotiate a lower price for 2 days (your arrival and departure days) if you pick up/drop off yourself. They're on 192 just east of Old Town.
Buena Vista scooters has a 2 day minimum if you prefer renting for less than Golds.

Hi there!!!

We are local to WDW, and plan to do a one day at Epcot for F&W.
My MIL will be with us, and she has severe back issues. She cannot walk more than a few feet. I thought it would be good for her to realize she can still have fun, and suggested a scooter.
She is worried that with a scooter she will need to lean forward to grab the steering bars, which she cannot do. She thinks a wheelchair may be better.

Questions..,
1) will she need to lean forward?
2) is the steering mechanism adjustable so she can sit back?
3) how fatiguing is it to push a wheelchair around for several hours?
4) anything else I should know?

Thanks!!
Just a thought,
Have you called on of the rental company’s to see if she can test drive a scooter …. Or sit on e to see if it comfortable

Plus, iirc, I think that path is uphill too.
Uphill AND downhill..... where the path from Boardwalk joins the path from Beach Club. I rolled down that hill too fast using a a little knee scooter (broke my toe the first night I was there!) and crashed because the brakes just are awful on those things!

Good to know. Nobody explained that to us at all, or we would’ve been happy to rent a better wheelchair. It’s not something we’ve ever had to deal with personally before.
There is a little section about it in the guides for disabilities, but if you didn't get a guide, you wouldn't see the part that says "Courtesy Wheelchairs Complimentary wheelchairs are available for travel to and from the accessible parking lot and the nearest wheelchair rental location. These courtesy blue wheelchairs are not permitted for use inside the Theme Parks." Some of the wheelchairs also say: 1693944764298.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter