Motorized scooter questions…

There is a little section about it in the guides for disabilities, but if you didn't get a guide, you wouldn't see the part that says "Courtesy Wheelchairs Complimentary wheelchairs are available for travel to and from the accessible parking lot and the nearest wheelchair rental location. These courtesy blue wheelchairs are not permitted for use inside the Theme Parks." Some of the wheelchairs also say: View attachment 791446
Naturally, had that message been written on the chair we had, or if we were given a guide, it would’ve made complete sense. But that wasn’t the case. It was just a plain wheelchair that a CM gave us, with no guide, and no explanation at all. As I’ve said, it was all new to us. Live and learn!

1693948199247.jpeg

Something that is getting more and more common at theme parks and zoos near us (Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, LA Zoo, San Diego Zoo and Safari Park) are these lightweight devices that can attach to pretty much any manual wheelchair and make it a power chair. There are a lot of different types now, but the one that seems to be most common for the parks is the EZRIDE+, which everyone DH has spoken with says has power to spare at the end of a park open to park close day, even on an 8 AM to Midnight day at Disneyland.
Those are allowed?
There are other ones DH has seen that have the option to allow the driver to control and then when needed switch to allowing someone else to control, which could be useful for some.
Yeah, those are what’s called an attendant control (AKA “Backseat Driver”) and can be useful, just have to remember to turn off the user joystick before the Backseat Driver can do anything.
And by all accounts this method is substantially less expensive than getting a regular power chair, especially say a folding power chair.
Uh, not necessarily. I think it’s around the same price as a folding powerchair.

Those are allowed?

Yeah, those are what’s called an attendant control (AKA “Backseat Driver”) and can be useful, just have to remember to turn off the user joystick before the Backseat Driver can do anything.

Uh, not necessarily. I think it’s around the same price as a folding powerchair.
Why wouldn't they be allowed? They are a mobility device and meet the requirements of at least three wheels and being able to stand on its own.

My point is some of these devices offer that option as well, but not all of them.

And generally this is less expensive than a power chair, as this is about $1,000 for the device and then a manual wheelchair can be had for a reasonable cost, usually in the $300-$600 range, of course there are more and less expensive ones available. The bonus is insurance will generally cover the wheelchair portion this way. For power chairs, they will not cover folding power chairs and folding power chairs run in the $2,300 range.

Something that is getting more and more common at theme parks and zoos near us (Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, LA Zoo, San Diego Zoo and Safari Park) are these lightweight devices that can attach to pretty much any manual wheelchair and make it a power chair. There are a lot of different types now, but the one that seems to be most common for the parks is the EZRIDE+, which everyone DH has spoken with says has power to spare at the end of a park open to park close day, even on an 8 AM to Midnight day at Disneyland.
I'd never heard of these, so I went and looked them up. They looked really interesting, but only one thing made me a little nervous. In some of those videos, the wheelchair zipped along really fast with the EZRIDE+ attached-I mean really, really fast! Frankly, I hope that top speed isn't as fast as it looked. Otherwise, looks promising.

I'd never heard of these, so I went and looked them up. They looked really interesting, but only one thing made me a little nervous. In some of those videos, the wheelchair zipped along really fast with the EZRIDE+ attached-I mean really, really fast! Frankly, I hope that top speed isn't as fast as it looked. Otherwise, looks promising.
Actually, it looks like all the videos have them going faster than you would want to go in a park.... I hope they also have a turtle speed. (I'm sure they must, but I didn't see any in the vids)

Last edited:
Actually, it looks like all the videos have them going faster than you would want to go in a park.... I hope they also have a turtle speed. (I'm sure they must, but I didn't see any in the vids)
They do indeed have speed controls, they were not going that fast in the parks, although as you say, they are capable of doing so. DH's scooter is also capable of doing so, but again he can adjust the speed.

Thanks to all for the advice and comments,,,
My wife booked a scooter to be be delivered to the Dolphin bell services and we will valet. That should be an easy transfer. $93 for 36 hours. Not sure if that’s a good deal, but it works for us.

Thanks again to all for the advice!!

Just out of curiosity, who did you book through? I am sure many that do shorter trips (being from California , we don't do short trips, not really worth it, but I know some people do) would like to know and would love it if you came back and shared your experience with them.

Just out of curiosity, who did you book through? I am sure many that do shorter trips (being from California , we don't do short trips, not really worth it, but I know some people do) would like to know and would love it if you came back and shared your experience with them.
Gold Mobility is the only vendor that will deliver/pickup using Dolphin/Swan/SR Bell Services. We used them in the past and really liked them.

Gold Mobility is the only vendor that will deliver/pickup using Dolphin/Swan/SR Bell Services. We used them in the past and really liked them.
Judging by the price they paid, they used someone else who is delivering to Bell Services. For us, it is always Gold Mobility, but as I said we do longer trips.

Judging by the price they paid, they used someone else who is delivering to Bell Services. For us, it is always Gold Mobility, but as I said we do longer trips.
Hmmm... I'd love to know which vendor it is.... always great to have alternatives.

Anyone with scooter rentals at Disney properties lately? I used Gold Mobility in December, and love the product, but really dislike having to be there to take delivery and pickup (now outside of the lobby) and exactly on time (barely arrived back at the resort in time due to ride malfunctions - the driver warned us it we were late, there would be additional day charged!) Hard to beat their rentals, but so inconvenient.

In the past I've used ScooterBug (I know.... most hate this service) with mixed results, (the last time swearing I'd never use them again after the original scooter was actually dangerous to use, but they replaced it with a brand new on - of course caused a blip in my plans to switch them), and only would choose them for the convenience of Bell Service drop off. I don't know why Disney continues to use them as their PREFERRED vendor.

Open to other suggestions.

EDITED TO ADD: We are staying at Beach Club

Last edited:
I use Gold's Mobility. Mostly I stay at the Swan or Dolphin where they are still allowed to drop off/pick up without you having to be there. When I stayed at Pop a little over a year ago it was really no big deal (to me) to meet them. I planned my last day to get back to the resort, and have my meal there, so I had plenty of wiggle room.

After all the reviews, no way in heck I would use Scooterbug.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter