Moving a DLR Trip to Walt Disney World- Let’s Talk!

Our first park day is today! Last night we went to Disney Springs and boy, it was a madhouse. It got worse after 7PM (likely due to the parks closing) and felt no different than pre-pandemic times. I did have two people bump right into me (what’s the deal folks lol!) so that doesn’t say much about the physical distancing. Mask compliance was okay, l saw lots of people take them off for photos though in crowded walkways, etc.

That being said, I felt that most of the time we had space to weave around people without getting close. The stores were managed with lines so they never felt too overwhelming.

I would avoid evenings if you can, we expected it to be crowded but not that crowded. I didn’t see any sign they were even counting capacity, we had our temp checked and in when went. If you’re feeling hesitant about crowds, I’m not sure you’d feel comfortable at Disney Springs.
TikiTikiFan, we arrive next Thursday. I am getting so worried with all the crowd reports. I am so used to all the restrictions and spacing of California.
Did you feel safe in Disney Springs, or would you recommend avoiding it? Can you let me know, as another Disneylander who is used to space, how the parks are looking?
I am so excited to go, but really stressed about it too. Every time I tell people here in California that I am going they really think I'm nuts at best or that I am going to somehow cause a massive spread of COVID when I get back.
I would love to get your perspective as your trip goes along.

Of course, I don’t mind at all! I’ve been very cautious throughout this pandemic plus working from home so this is the most risky thing I’ve done in months. I did decide to tell myself before we left to not worry and just roll with it- otherwise, what’s the point? I’m finding it easy to do that now that I’m here, we’re having a great time and most of the covid precautions feel like second nature now like sanitizing, giving people space, etc.

I personally had to go with a ‘yolo’ attitude in Disney Springs, it was crowded and impossible to physically distance on most walkways. It caught us off guard big time when we arrived. Inside the stores was fine because they did appear to be limiting capacity inside. Saw lots of noses and people taking masks off for photos. I would recommend going earlier in the day- we made the mistake of not only going on a Friday night but after 5- all the parks closing early made a huge uptick in the crowds.

Our day at HS yesterday was crowded which I expected. I felt like I had enough space 90% of the time though! The ride queues, stores, and restaurants are managed well. Everyone was great about staying on their markers on the lines that I felt very comfortable. The walkways was where things got more dicey but we did our best to avoid walking too close to people. This was harder in SWGE and Toy Story Land but overall, it felt fine.

I’ll keep things updated as I go! :)

Of course, I don’t mind at all! I’ve been very cautious throughout this pandemic plus working from home so this is the most risky thing I’ve done in months. I did decide to tell myself before we left to not worry and just roll with it- otherwise, what’s the point? I’m finding it easy to do that now that I’m here, we’re having a great time and most of the covid precautions feel like second nature now like sanitizing, giving people space, etc.

I personally had to go with a ‘yolo’ attitude in Disney Springs, it was crowded and impossible to physically distance on most walkways. It caught us off guard big time when we arrived. Inside the stores was fine because they did appear to be limiting capacity inside. Saw lots of noses and people taking masks off for photos. I would recommend going earlier in the day- we made the mistake of not only going on a Friday night but after 5- all the parks closing early made a huge uptick in the crowds.

Our day at HS yesterday was crowded which I expected. I felt like I had enough space 90% of the time though! The ride queues, stores, and restaurants are managed well. Everyone was great about staying on their markers on the lines that I felt very comfortable. The walkways was where things got more dicey but we did our best to avoid walking too close to people. This was harder in SWGE and Toy Story Land but overall, it felt fine.

Thanks for the updates! Glad to hear that you're having a good time! :)

Thanks for the update. It is reassuring. Hope you are still having a great time!

Glad your trip is going pretty well so far, @TikiTikiFan! Can't wait to hear more!

I am currently not planning any time for Disney Springs. Even without COVID I'm not sure I would.... it just sounds like a mall to me, albeit a Disney themed one, though I do understand there are a bunch of restaurants there too. Am I missing something about why we should go to DS? Our potential trip isn't until April anyway so who's to say what things will look like by then but I'm just not seeing the 'draw' and combining that with reports like yours of bigger crowds and lax mask wearing it just doesn't seem worthwhile. But I'm game to be convinced otherwise!

Glad your trip is going pretty well so far, @TikiTikiFan! Can't wait to hear more!

I am currently not planning any time for Disney Springs. Even without COVID I'm not sure I would.... it just sounds like a mall to me, albeit a Disney themed one, though I do understand there are a bunch of restaurants there too. Am I missing something about why we should go to DS? Our potential trip isn't until April anyway so who's to say what things will look like by then but I'm just not seeing the 'draw' and combining that with reports like yours of bigger crowds and lax mask wearing it just doesn't seem worthwhile. But I'm game to be convinced otherwise!
It’s similar to downtown Disney where it’s an outdoor themed Disney mall. BUT it’s much larger, and has more options in regards to food. I feel like their restaurants get better reviews than the ones at DTD.

I forgot what place we went to at Disney Springs. I just remember it was Italian, and you can get to a “secret” bar through the bathroom area. It was pretty cool!

Disneyland had a petting zoo?! When? Lol How did I miss this ?!
Yes! At Big Thunder Ranch on the pathway behind BTMRR to Fantasyland, next to the BBQ restaurant. It was closed when that whole area was shut down to make way for SWGE. When I was a kid/teen they also had large farm animals there too(though not in the petting area) like a black and white cow that had a splotch that was shaped like a Mickey head on its side and sometimes some of the Circle D horses.

Yes! At Big Thunder Ranch on the pathway behind BTMRR to Fantasyland, next to the BBQ restaurant. It was closed when that whole area was shut down to make way for SWGE. When I was a kid/teen they also had large farm animals there too(though not in the petting area) like a black and white cow that had a splotch that was shaped like a Mickey head on its side and sometimes some of the Circle D horses.
So strange I remember the bbq place but not big Thunder ranch lol.

Disneyland had a petting zoo?! When? Lol How did I miss this ?!
Not only did DL have the Big Thunder Ranch (complete with petting zoo!), they also had the daily Running of the Goats! I miss that so much...

Big Thunder Ranch had reindeer during Holiday Time (for a while, anyway) and was the home for some of the presidentially pardoned turkeys at Thanksgiving. Santa and Mrs. Claus used to be there in the log cabin for their M&G. BTR was a great place!

Anyone going Nov. 29-Feb 28 and have a Disney visa? I got an email from Disney visa for discounted rates. We saved $350!

Just checking in to say HI from the Caribbean Beach Resort during our first-ever WDW trip! We arrived Tuesday night but this is the first time I've had a chance to get the laptop fired up (we were up to secure Boarding Passes for ROTR).

The weather is actually quite nice (nicer than I expected) and actually reminds me a lot of Southern California weather... warm sun, cool breeze, and COLD the moment the sun goes down! (I am a desert rat and get cold easily).

Just checking in to say HI from the Caribbean Beach Resort during our first-ever WDW trip! We arrived Tuesday night but this is the first time I've had a chance to get the laptop fired up (we were up to secure Boarding Passes for ROTR).

The weather is actually quite nice (nicer than I expected) and actually reminds me a lot of Southern California weather... warm sun, cool breeze, and COLD the moment the sun goes down! (I am a desert rat and get cold easily).
Glad to hear you arrived safely and that you are enjoying your trip! :)

Thanks for the update! I get cold easily too. Are you just wearing pants roughing it out when it’s hot so you’re comfortable at night when it’s chilly? I think that’s my plan. 🤔

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter