Mrs. Darling's June 2010 Accidental PTR: Pirates and Harry Potter 6/30 TR Link posted

Its cool that they have officially announced it, let the madness begin :)
I'm pretty sure madness is the perfect word:lmao:

Great blankets! And :woohoo: for Harry Potter opening for you!!
Those blankets are money! Each one of them saves me $80.:cool1: Of course I appreciate the chance to do a little good too;)

I was wondering about doing something like that! I'm glad it's working for you. What's your home resort?
So jealous. So very jealous! :worship:

Amanda
Our home resort is Boardwalk. DH loves the Epcot area because of the walking to 2 parks thing (and I do too.):goodvibes

I just read a preview of what the main ride is going to be like....ooohhhh, it looks cool! It gets the Harry Potter nut in me all ready to go...but we won't be going this year. Our last day in the parks is the 19th, plus I'm really worried about what the crowds will be like. So bummed! It'd be easier if I knew we would get back down there sometime soon, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a few years...too many other places to visit! I'm trying to convince DH that we need to go on an adults-only trip down there when I graduate with my master's degree (sometime late 2011)...maybe we could tack it on there. He might be convinced to go if it combines Disney and Harry Potter...hmm....

I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back - bring back lots of pictures!!!! :goodvibes
The Forbidden Journey does sound incredible! My only concern is how the kids will do on it, but they are going. I've already told them if things look scary just close your eyes. :rolleyes1 Have you considered going before the grand opening? I'm pretty sure they will be doing soft openings and then you could see it without all the crowds there for the grand opening. Just a though. Or you can work on your DH for that adult only trip. That actually sounds better;) And don't worry there will be plenty of pictures!

I'm scared for you!! I hope HP takes away some crowds from WDW then.. lol ;) But I'm envious too that you'll be seeing it soon! Who knows if we will be able to hold out. BEING down there while it's open will be tempting...
The crowds are going to be insane! They are selling a Harry Potter package to the Universal hotels that gets you into the park an hour early. I'm hoping that will be a perk they give to everyone staying on site. If not rumor is the express passes will work once a day on the Forbidden Journey and unlimited on the other couple of rides so hopefully that will be enough to avoid the multi hour lines. I'm sure the area will be super crowded no matter what though! It will be an adventure. Maybe we should do a little wager about whether you'll be able to stay away or not:rolleyes:

I know I'd want either Boardwalk, BCV, or BLT. Epcot has quickly become our favorite park...

Amanda

I know I'd want either Boardwalk, BCV, or BLT. Epcot has quickly become our favorite park...

Amanda

Epcot is DH's and Wendy's favorite park. Me and the boys are still partial to MK (though the boys might change in a few years.):goodvibes

So lets continue our trip down the Darling Family's Disney Memory Lane shall we?

Our first trip to Disney World came in November of 2006. My brother lives in Miami and he was hosting a Thanksgiving dinner for my parents, siblings and their families. This county gives the kids off the entire week of Thanksgiving and it was cheaper to fly in and out of Orlando than Miami. So we decided to spend 3 days at the World before we headed down for Thanksgiving. And what a wonderful three days they were! I love Disneyland. It is the original. But Disney World is like no other place on earth. It is a bubble of Disney Magic that you never have to leave. I literally feel like I'm in a different world when I'm in that Disney bubble and I love it! It's such a happy place that the only worry we have is how to hang on to our wallets;)

For this trip we stayed at Shades of Green (my husband is a Department of Defense civilian). We really enjoyed the resort. The location was fabulous. It's about a 10 minute walk over to the Polynesian monorail. The rooms are large and they had a decent priced buffet breakfast we ate a couple of times.

Here are the picture highlights from our 1st trip into the bubble.

Here is the Darling Family at the gates of the Magic Kingdom. First ones in line on our first day:yay:

DSCN0032.jpg

Here we are as we entered Toontown right when it opened. Goofy was waiting to greet us!

DSCN0050.jpg

Here is the 1st picture of the complete Darling Family with Mickey Mouse (the 1st of many to come)

DSCN0055.jpg

Here is Wendy renewing her friendship with her favorite Mouse.

DSCN0058.jpg

Here is John making an aquaintance with what will become his favorite duck.

DSCN0110.jpg

Michael making trouble in the boneyard (also a first time of many)

DSCN0123.jpg

This is John as he got a first glimpse of his hero Buzz Lightyear.

DSCN0131.jpg

Here is John with said hero.

DSCN0136.jpg

The Osbourne Family Lights. These are incredible!

DSCN0155.jpg

The kids catching snowflakes as we watch and listen to the Osbourne Family Lights.

DSCN0154.jpg

Michael getting some Alice love at Askerhaus.

DSCN0187.jpg

The kids meeting Koda and Kenai, our favorite bears. DH and the kids love Brother Bear.

DSCN0198.jpg

And the drive down to Miami.:rotfl:

DSCN0200.jpg

As you can tell it was a great trip, but it wasn't long enough. It gave me a thirst that I still haven't quenched. That's why we keep heading back!

Hope everyone has a great weekend. John's 8th birthday party is tomorrow so you know we'll have a good one:goodvibes

Love the pics! So jealous that the kids get the entire Thanksgiving week off. I wish!

Amanda

Great pictures!!!:thumbsup2 Your kids are so adorable!!:goodvibes I love the one of John after seeing Buzz Lightyear!! (his hero) Ahh..so cute!

And...I agree with feeling like you're in a bubble of Disney magic!! What a great way to describe it because that's exactly how it feels!!!:lovestruc

Love the pics! So jealous that the kids get the entire Thanksgiving week off. I wish!

Amanda
It really is nice that the kids have the whole week. We usually try to go somewhere that week.

Great pictures!!!:thumbsup2 Your kids are so adorable!!:goodvibes I love the one of John after seeing Buzz Lightyear!! (his hero) Ahh..so cute!

And...I agree with feeling like you're in a bubble of Disney magic!! What a great way to describe it because that's exactly how it feels!!!:lovestruc
Watching John meet Buzz Lightyear was one of my best Disney moments!

Adorable pics. Love the one with Alice.

Do you think that the HP opening will lessen the crowds at WDW??
I don't know how HP will affect WDW crowds. It will do one of the 3 things. Bring more people to Orlando and more people to Disney or have no effect on the crowds or take people away that would normally be at Disney. That is pretty helpful isn't it:rolleyes:

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: for Harry Potter!!! It probably will be a complete zoo but you will be one of the first to see it! :dance3:

The blankets look great! They are so easy and fun to make...that is why we picked that project, too! :thumbsup2

And again, your pics are adorable! I love the one of them all sleeping! :love: All kids are such angels when they are asleep!! :rotfl:

Hi Jenny and Darlings!! Two words, Scopalamine patch! Get one for your son!! You put it on about 18-24 hours prior to getting in the car, it lasts for 3 days. Yhey work GREAT for motion sickness. boats, cars, planes. Then 24 hours prior to heading home put another one on him! You need a prescription for them though, so ask at the childrens next appointment. Cruise ships are usually pretty stable, but you may want to get one for Wendy also, just in case.

Ok, I lied, two more words! Wolfgang Puck! It is awesome!!! Yummo!! If you decide you want a late morning and breakfast, they have a great one there! You truly can NOT go wrong there.

Thank you for sharing your family memories, that was so much fun!:goodvibes

Looking forward to more!

What great family photos Jenny!:goodvibes Thanks for sharing them!
Thanks! It's fun to look back.

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: for Harry Potter!!! It probably will be a complete zoo but you will be one of the first to see it! :dance3:

The blankets look great! They are so easy and fun to make...that is why we picked that project, too! :thumbsup2

And again, your pics are adorable! I love the one of them all sleeping! :love: All kids are such angels when they are asleep!! :rotfl:
Harry Potter will be crazy, but maybe that will add to the fun. Kids are angels when they are sleeping. I'm pretty lucky because mine are usually good when they are awake too:goodvibes

Hi Jenny and Darlings!! Two words, Scopalamine patch! Get one for your son!! You put it on about 18-24 hours prior to getting in the car, it lasts for 3 days. Yhey work GREAT for motion sickness. boats, cars, planes. Then 24 hours prior to heading home put another one on him! You need a prescription for them though, so ask at the childrens next appointment. Cruise ships are usually pretty stable, but you may want to get one for Wendy also, just in case.

Ok, I lied, two more words! Wolfgang Puck! It is awesome!!! Yummo!! If you decide you want a late morning and breakfast, they have a great one there! You truly can NOT go wrong there.

Thank you for sharing your family memories, that was so much fun!:goodvibes

Looking forward to more!
Sunnie where have you been? How was your autumn trip? And it looks like you have another one coming up! I'll have to check out that Scopalimine patch. We usually just give him Dramimine, but I'm open to new ideas! And I think Wolfgang Puck is a definite. I haven't heard a negative thing about it yet!

I love your pictures! Someday I want to go to Disney at Christmas time. It is nice to be there when it isn't hot. We went in October in 2008 and the weather was so nice.

I'm considering a potential change in plans for Day 1. I'm thinking about taking the Auto Train down instead of driving. It will cost a little bit more, but as long as I find somewhere to cut a few dollars I think it will work. It seems like it will be much easier than driving the whole way. The train leaves the station in Lorton VA (which is about an hour and a half from us) at 4:00 pm and arrives in Sanford FL (which is about 45 minutes from Disney World) at 9:00 am. Dinner and breakfast are served on the train and they have a movie they show in the lounge car as well. If we do it we'll do coach so I'm a bit concerned about how well I will sleep. I'm sure the kids will sleep ok. In fact the kids will enjoy this so much more than driving. So what do you think? If we do this I give up the Pirate Cruise for the kids but I think riding the train will be an adventure!

My friend is doing the auto train this summer for all of the same reasons as you. I wish that I could tell you that I have done it. I haven't. Every year that we drove, I check it out. I just know that I wouldn't be able to sleep and then would be miserable the entire the next day. I'd rather stay in a hotel.

If you know that you would be OK, then go for it. It certainly would be safe for you and your kids. And a great adventure. If you do it and like it, maybe I will try it next time.

I hope you get some feed back from those that have done it.

I love your pictures! Someday I want to go to Disney at Christmas time. It is nice to be there when it isn't hot. We went in October in 2008 and the weather was so nice.
We've been in November and January and I agree it's nice not to be super hot. On the other hand I really enjoy the pool on those summer trips. Plus it is nice to only have to pack shorts and t-shirts instead of 4 seasons. The Christmas decorations are fun though. They weren't completely decorated when we were there in November, but quite a few were still up and of course the Osbourne Lights are incredible!

My friend is doing the auto train this summer for all of the same reasons as you. I wish that I could tell you that I have done it. I haven't. Every year that we drove, I check it out. I just know that I wouldn't be able to sleep and then would be miserable the entire the next day. I'd rather stay in a hotel.

If you know that you would be OK, then go for it. It certainly would be safe for you and your kids. And a great adventure. If you do it and like it, maybe I will try it next time.

I hope you get some feed back from those that have done it.

My biggest concern is the lack of sleep. For that reason I would rather stay in a hotel. But with me being the only driver the Auto Train does seem like the safer and smarter option. I figure it can't be any worse then trying to sleep on a plane on the flight to Europe and I managed to get through arrival day there even if I don't get tons of sleep. I just don't want to be too tired for Ohana's, but maybe we could squeeze a nap in that afternoon. (Or heck maybe we will sleep great on the train.)

I'm considering a potential change in plans for Day 1. I'm thinking about taking the Auto Train down instead of driving. It will cost a little bit more, but as long as I find somewhere to cut a few dollars I think it will work. It seems like it will be much easier than driving the whole way. The train leaves the station in Lorton VA (which is about an hour and a half from us) at 4:00 pm and arrives in Sanford FL (which is about 45 minutes from Disney World) at 9:00 am. Dinner and breakfast are served on the train and they have a movie they show in the lounge car as well. If we do it we'll do coach so I'm a bit concerned about how well I will sleep. I'm sure the kids will sleep ok. In fact the kids will enjoy this so much more than driving. So what do you think? If we do this I give up the Pirate Cruise for the kids but I think riding the train will be an adventure!

I think the train sounds awesome! And safer!!!

We've been in November and January and I agree it's nice not to be super hot. On the other hand I really enjoy the pool on those summer trips. Plus it is nice to only have to pack shorts and t-shirts instead of 4 seasons. The Christmas decorations are fun though. They weren't completely decorated when we were there in November, but quite a few were still up and of course the Osbourne Lights are incredible!

We went to Disney in mid-December and it was great! Our trip was too short (really only 3.5 days of park time) but we had perfect weather and enjoyed the decorations.

My biggest concern is the lack of sleep. For that reason I would rather stay in a hotel. But with me being the only driver the Auto Train does seem like the safer and smarter option. I figure it can't be any worse then trying to sleep on a plane on the flight to Europe and I managed to get through arrival day there even if I don't get tons of sleep. I just don't want to be too tired for Ohana's, but maybe we could squeeze a nap in that afternoon. (Or heck maybe we will sleep great on the train.)

Doing all of that driving by yourself will be exhausting, too. Even if you don't sleep well on the train, you won't be as emotionally drained. Driving for so long takes a lot out of you!

Amanda

Getting the train does sound like a better option than driving and I am sure you should be able to grab some sleep, but if not a nap at the resort sounds like a plan :)

I think the train sounds awesome! And safer!!!

Doing all of that driving by yourself will be exhausting, too. Even if you don't sleep well on the train, you won't be as emotionally drained. Driving for so long takes a lot out of you!

Amanda
I think you're right about driving being mentally draining where on the train I can relax a bit more (especially if I give the boys their DS);)

Getting the train does sound like a better option than driving and I am sure you should be able to grab some sleep, but if not a nap at the resort sounds like a plan :)
I think I should be able to sleep for at least a few hours. Maybe I'll take Tylenol PM.

Everyone seems to think the train is a great idea, so that is what we're doing. I bought the tickets and decided to drop the Albatross Cruise and probably the Tusker House breakfast to pay for the difference. The train will definitely add a bit of an adventure to the trip:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter