Multiple contracts?

If I go in at 8am at the 7 month window and see availability, can I quickly borrow points from the next UY for it right at booking? Or do I need to have done that in advance of 8am?
No. If it's a different use year, it's a different membership. Anything you do that requires points from both memberships or one-time-use points will require a call to membership services. There is no way to manage multiple memberships online.

The closest you could do is just transfer all the points from one membership to the other ahead of time, but then you lose some of the banking/borrowing flexibility.

We bought contracts at 3 resorts, but made sure they were the same use year for this reason

So I need to try to decide if I want to attempt to get one of the contracts out there right now that might work for me (same UY and the amount of points I want) or if I should wait to see if better ones come along. One listing says it's only accepting a full price offer so I don't think I want that one. But I honestly don't even know what a reasonable offer would be if I tried to get the other one out there.

I also have no idea how often contracts with the exact UY and points I want are likely to pop up since I haven't been watching sales at all until this past week.

You can look in the ROFR threads to see what good deals people have gotten in the last year or so. Also some of the aggregate DVC search sites will show average, high, and low sales prices of different resorts.

So in the scenario you mentioned (using points from both BRV and VGC to book Poly), having the same UY is the way to go. Then you can book online right at 8:00am at 7 months.
Having contracts in two different UY’s (memberships) will require calling into MS to transfer points between the memberships. For example, I have AUL in both Jun and Dec UY. When planning a trip to gift my brother with (trip is in Sept 2024), and I didn’t have enough points in the Jun UY, I called MS in advance of the 11-mon booking window to transfer the points needed from my Dec UY to Jun UY, then I booked the complete stay at 8am (I want to say transferred points are visible on our dash boards now).

Yeah, I looked at the past year of ROFR and didn't see many that fit exactly what I want. I know that's only representative of DIS-buyers but it still makes me wonder if I'll regret not jumping on something when it's available.

If you want the flexibility to use your VGC points with a Boulder Ridge contract with any regularity, I would get the same UY - it will make bookings much easier.

I know a lot of people don’t want to use their Grand Cal points at WDW because you paid such a premium to be able to book at Grand Cal it’s not worth it to use them a WDW where you could get points for much less. If this is your thought process and using VGC would be rare, if at all, I think having another use year won’t be a big deal, and could potentially even offer benefits such as better UY based on WDW travel schedule and additional waitlists.

If you only go to WDW every 2-3 years, and there is still years until your next trip, I would definitely wait it out to find the right contract for you.

So in the scenario you mentioned (using points from both BRV and VGC to book Poly), having the same UY is the way to go. Then you can book online right at 8:00am at 7 months.
Having contracts in two different UY’s (memberships) will require calling into MS to transfer points between the memberships. For example, I have AUL in both Jun and Dec UY. When planning a trip to gift my brother with (trip is in Sept 2024), and I didn’t have enough points in the Jun UY, I called MS in advance of the 11-mon booking window to transfer the points needed from my Dec UY to Jun UY, then I booked the complete stay at 8am (I want to say transferred points are visible on our dash boards now).
Thanks for the update on that. I've avoided transferring points between my memberships like the plague because I'm too lazy to keep a manual tally of where all of my points are and will just book 2 nights under one membership and then another on the other but it's good to know that the dashboard has started to reflect transferred points if this is true.

Yeah, I looked at the past year of ROFR and didn't see many that fit exactly what I want. I know that's only representative of DIS-buyers but it still makes me wonder if I'll regret not jumping on something when it's available.
That’s the issue with buying small contracts…. they go for a premium…. but they also resell for a premium….

Awesome. Very interesting info there! I didn't realize December was the most popular UY. Looks like June UY isn't the most difficult to find but also not the easiest either. It's such a gamble since we can never know who may want to sell within the next year or not. I guess I'll just attempt to get contracts that find what I want and I'll have a price in my head that I'm willing to pay and see what happens. (And if I get one, I'll stop looking so I don't get sad if I see a lower priced one later. Ha!)

So now...we wait. Having it narrowed down to a specific use year really does make it much easier to keep an eye on things though!

It’s also worth noting that BRV just got a major refurb and so that is a material change from where prices may have been prior to the refurb….

Yeah, I didn't look at prices farther back than about a year. Though I can't remember exactly when they finished their refurbishment. I know it was sometime in 2023. Looks like more recent 50pt ones went for around $100, give or take. (At least for Dis purchasers.)

Yeah, I didn't look at prices farther back than about a year. Though I can't remember exactly when they finished their refurbishment. I know it was sometime in 2023. Looks like more recent 50pt ones went for around $100, give or take. (At least for Dis purchasers.)
Board sponsor has an est. value of $113 and an Instant Buy of $90.

So $100 splits the difference, but it doesn’t mean a seller has to take it.

When you book the reservation it asks you which contract you want to pull the points from and at 7m all points work the same (resale restrictions, blah blah blah).

If it’s less than 20 points then you can call member svc and buy OTU points for $20pp. It’s not a bad deal if you just need a few.
It can actually be a very good deal. If you figure approximately $10 a year dues you pay on points that drops it to $10 a point. If you buy from Disney direct a small contract at $250 a point, you would have to buy these for 26 years to be more money than paying one time purchase. Resale would be a bit less, but that depends on the resort you buy resale.

It can actually be a very good deal. If you figure approximately $10 a year dues you pay on points that drops it to $10 a point. If you buy from Disney direct a small contract at $250 a point, you would have to buy these for 26 years to be more money than paying one time purchase. Resale would be a bit less, but that depends on the resort you buy resale.
Agreed. The only thing I don’t like vs getting points transferred is that you can’t get the same resort to get 11m booking.

@ClaraOswald :
  1. That pie chart is over 10 years old. Though good for a ballpark reference, it is outdated. For years now DVC/DVD has been able to reassign UYs for points bought back in ROFR.
  2. The fact that you started this discussion is a good sign that you will most likely combine points in the future. Definitely stick with one UY. The ease of use with one UY heavily outweighs the benefits of multiple IMO.
    1. Booking or modifying a reservation at 7mo with all my contracts from different resorts is easy peasy.
    2. The reason of owning multiple UYs for year round bookings is valid, but also ask yourself: how many trips have you had to cancel last minute in the past few years? Only you know your own travel habits. I will sometimes plan trips towards the end of my UY, but I am confident that the trip will always happen.

We thankfully haven't had to cancel any at the last minute. We got close in early 2023 because I had a double ear infection that would not let up and I was nervous to fly with it. In the end, we went for it anyway.

Honestly, the only things that would make us cancel last minute would be illness or death in the family. And if I were to lose out a year of points because of something like that, so be it. We'd probably just book any reservation we could get with the points in holding before they expire and try to rent it out...just skipping a vacation that year. Certainly wouldn't be the end of the world.

Do you need to own BRV to get a room there in January?
I personally don’t know but buying a 2042 contract when CCV has 26 more years and same point chart is hard to ignore

Studios are pretty hard to come by at the 7 month mark (though obviously not impossible as we got one this year) and I really don't want to stay at CCV because of the risk of a lot of noise from the lobby and the pool. We like to take breaks in the afternoon and I know the pool noise would drive me insane if we ended up with a room on that side. We were there last month and when we'd round the corner to that section of the hotel grounds it was definitely a noticeable change in noise. I know this doesn't bother most people but it would be an issue for me, I fear.

As for expiration of 2042....I'm pretty fine with that. I'll be 60 when it expires and my husband will be 63.

And let's be honest here...do we REALLY think I'll stop at 50 pts at WDW? 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter