My First Fondant

cryssi

<font color=blue>Kabocha<br><font color=green>Look
Hi! I made this cake a month ago and have just now uploaded the pics (lagger). Anyway, I wanted to share with you all my first attempt at a fondant-covered cake:

47b6dd32b3127cce97e7ae971c4400000016108AZMmzNs4cOE

I used the Wilton ready-made fondant. It is actually not very difficult to work with. Also, I do agree with everyone else that fondant is NASTY. LOL Has anyone tried to flavor their fondant? It doesn't even taste like pure sugar...it's just gross.

Anyway, I was pretty pleased with the result, even if it wasn't as perfect as I would have liked. My friend loved it, though. :) The red on the cake is Wilton candy melts, nuked in a snack size ziploc baggie with a hole punched in the corner! Too tired to get out the decorating tips. :rotfl:

That does look great.

My sisters first Fondant cake looked like a trainwreck. She has a picture of her cake displayed next to the cookbook cake picture. Pretty funny!

I haven't even attempted one yet.

thanks! :) I want to experiment with fondant flowers next...

Very nice Cryssi!

I'm a pastry chef student and LOVE LOVE LOVE to decorate cakes! I'll have to dig out some pictures of my stuff to post...I never realized there was anyone over here that does it too!

Wilton Fondant, while pretty easy to work with, tastes horrific. I have successfully flavored mine using the LorAnn Oils...usually peppermint. I tried cotton candy once, but it was just too too too sweet.

A product that I have discovered is Choco-pan. You can order it online through www.countrykitchensa.com or another favorite vendor that you may have. Anyway, it's fondant, but it tastes more like white chocolate! One of my instructors at school is actually the inventor of Choco-pan. We use it in class a lot!! I believe she has a website about it at www.choco-pan.com :)

Now i'm off to find some pictures of my cakes to share! :wave2:

Thanks Brandie! I can't wait to see your cakes.

Thanks for the info on choco-pan. You know, when I read "choco-pan" I thought "bread?" - a choco pan is a japanese pastry that is a sweet bun filled with chocolate cream! :) :thumbsup2 yummy...

Anyway, I'm definitely going to try this stuff next time, because Wilton fondant= :crazy2:

Choco-pan is awesome! It initially seems more expensive than Wilton, but this stuff goes such a long way! We did 10in round cakes last night. Iced them in buttercream and covered them in fondant...did the 10 loop bows...and I put a fondant border around mine and I didn't even use 1/2 of the container it came out of!

I started out taking the Wilton classes almost 2 years ago and I totally fell in love with cake decorating. I'm not that great at it yet, but I'm working on it! I've done 2 wedding cakes...baby shower cakes...birthday cakes...and I'm getting ready to do a round of cakes for my brother's wedding. Have to do the bridal shower cake for his fiancee and then a cake for the rehearsal dinner...the wedding cake...and a groom's cake. I'm stressing BIG TIME!!

Here are the two wedding cakes I've done. The second picture isn't very flattering, but it was a lovely cake! The bride and groom were very happy with it! :)

Picture015-large.jpg

cake4.jpg

out of curiosity, what kind of cake do you use? I did a cake mix modification, but it was still a little too fluffy for fondant and filling. I suppose a homemade cake would be denser. I really want to try this recipe one of these days when I have a lot of time and a fancy occasion (meaning never) LOL:

Fondant Covered Wedding Cake with raspberries and chocolate

sounds good :thumbsup2

I want to take wilton classes too, but again, the time issue. My mom took wilton way back when, and she makes great cakes, flowers, etc.!

:worship: That is wonderful! I cant believe that was your first try. WOW!! I thought I would post a picture of what my cakes usually look like :

cakemix.jpg

And

frosting.jpg

I dont think I would be so disappointed about my cakes turning out like this except that after I cook I have to throw the crap away its so awfull, and all I have to show for my effort is the packaging!! :rolleyes: I couldnt cook my way out of a paper bag if my life depended on it! You ladies are extreemly talented!

disneyfreakk said:
:worship: That is wonderful! I cant believe that was your first try. WOW!! I thought I would post a picture of what my cakes usually look like :

cakemix.jpg

And

frosting.jpg

I dont think I would be so disappointed about my cakes turning out like this except that after I cook I have to throw the crap away its so awfull, and all I have to show for my effort is the packaging!! :rolleyes: I couldnt cook my way out of a paper bag if my life depended on it! You ladies are extreemly talented!
:lmao:

out of curiosity, what kind of cake do you use? I did a cake mix modification, but it was still a little too fluffy for fondant and filling. I suppose a homemade cake would be denser. I really want to try this recipe one of these days when I have a lot of time and a fancy occasion (meaning never) LOL:
In the past, I've used a box mix. I prefer Duncan Hines. I've tried Betty Crocker and the dang thing never turns out right! Duncan Hines has a recipe on the inside of the box for tiered cakes. That's usually the one that I follow. At school, i'm beginning to discover the world of scratch cakes! I LOVE the white cake recipe that we use. I don't have it one me...but I can post it for you later, if you like! I've altered the recipe a bit before and added chopped cherries and it was fabulous.

I've recently discovered a great website with lots and lots of recipes!! Misc Recipes I also find lots of good recipes on Cake Central as well as lots of good inspiration for designs!

thanks, that site looks cool. My mom swears by Duncan Hines as well. She recently made a strawberry cake - 1 layer was Betty Crocker, 1 layer was Duncan Hines. We determined that Betty Crocker was fluffier, and better suited to cupcakes than a layer cake. DH all the way! LOL but maybe not for a tall fondant cake...

btw, I am more of a cookie guru who aspires to make cakes:

47b6df33b3127cce98548acf8d3500000012108GbNmzVq5Y

I did not do Mindy's. LOL Everyone always knows which cookie I have made b/c of the hidden mickey! :rotfl:

I love doing cookies as well! I just can't find a decent recipe for them...lol

Try this one - IMO the best sugar cookie recipe, and the only one I will make now:

Soft Christmas Cookies

read my review! :teeth:

can I give this more stars? Thank you for a fantastic recipe! This is my new sugar cookie recipe. I just made these, and OMG they are so good. They are sweet and buttery, but not excessively so. I baked them for 10 min. Frosting will be good, but plain they are amazing. I used butter and all the flour, and found that it was stiff enough to roll...no chilling needed! I used the Wilton comfort grip tree cutter, and it made 21 cookies with a couple of scraps. Thank you so much again!!!

Thanks for the recipe! When I have a free 5 minutes, I'll have to try it! :)

I've been wanting to try a cake with fondant but believe I am a tad ignorant about it :teeth: ...Is the fondant normally eaten?

Please excuse my stupidity :rolleyes: :teeth:

mickeymousemom said:
I've been wanting to try a cake with fondant but believe I am a tad ignorant about it :teeth: ...Is the fondant normally eaten?

Please excuse my stupidity :rolleyes: :teeth:

Ahh, many people have the same question! Yes, you eat the fondant, it s made og sugar and glucose, perfectly edible! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter