My side of the Gay Day Story 2008

On a nicer topic...

I have a 4 year old princess who is just starting to become aware of the world around her, although she seems to be developing an excellent gaydar where she spends her time flirting with any gay waitstaff:hippie:

So far we have told her it is perfectly ok to have 2 mummies, 2 daddies or a mum & a dad and it is ok whatever arrangement she ends up in.

Thankfully a lot of Australian legislation and community seems to be more accepting than that in the USA with same sex couples having "virtually" the same rights as hetero couples - finance, IVF, custody, superannuation, health benefits and many prominent community leaders are members of same sex couples.

my question - As a hetero family, if we were in WDW around gay days - is there some way we can show our support for the LGBT community being able to express affection with their life partners. Rainbow pins? Colourful t-shirts??

I wonder if Corey's company wants to set up shop in Australia? ;)

The parks sell a rainbow striped Mickey head pin. The Gay Days crowd usually wears red shirts, or you could browse some T-shirt sites for something appropriate. We belong to HRC (Human Rights Campaign) and they have a shop on their website with T-shirts, caps, and so forth. :)

Even if you aren't wearing something like that, just being friendly is a good way to show your support. Chat with folks in queues or whilst waiting for parades.

I am straight, so hopefully some of our GLBT frieds will have some more suggestions for you! :thumbsup2

Great response. Back in the day, I lived in a house with 7 other women. Only one of them was straight. She was very cute and had lots of women disappointed when we would throw parties. Finally, I found the perfect gift for her, it was a t-shirt that said "Straight but not narrow." It solved the problem, but it didn't stop the girls from asking me, if I was sure that it was true. I told them that since she was by best friend in the world, if anyone would know for sure, it would be me because she would be "mine" first. :rotfl2: FYI - she's still straight, married to a guy with my exact personality, and has two kids.

Well. How nice that we live in a society where people get what they deserve! That is useful information. Even if maturity, common sense, and courtesy have to be thrown out, we should all definitely get what we deserve.

Ever heard of what goes around comes around!!!
yes maturity was not in the situation! oh! but what common sense was there? oh yea the fact that it was a gay guy hitting on me and he violated me and my family. hello!!!!! you might not have a problem with that, but thats just over the line

and what courtesy? the courtesy that they should've shown me and my family. but, oh hey look guys im not gay so please leave me alone. or guys please leave me alone and stop violating me I will end up punching you after my nephew notices that you are gay and violating me. that is totaly over the line.
and to whom? oh wait! I'm just gonna stand around letting some gay guy violate me and make noises like if he was having a mental erotic vision with me. when I told them to back off they didn't listen so I took further measures so they get the picture(do you get the picture). I'm sorry if you act like your a saint and you dont think that way. but if you take similar actions like these individuals and I hope nobody hits you for it. but if you act the same way I hope you get what you deserve.
I will end it here since I have nothing against you or that I even know you so I hope that noone on this forum is like those individuals that harrassed me and even though some of you might think my actions were incorrect think about what would you do if someone crossed your line of comfort so far that your family and other quests noticed. think about it.

Common sense is dependent upon one's frame of reference. Common sense tells the NYC dweller to lock her/his doors. Common sense where my parents live finds locking doors an inconvenience. Their frame of reference is totally different than the city dweller.

I wonder if you would have been so outraged had an opposite gendered person "stalked" you and "stared" at you and "reached out to touch you?" Would you have punched that person in the face? No need to answer, these questions are purely rhetorical.

No one has the right to lay hands on another person uninvited. Period.

With regard to how to show support question... a MUCH nicer topic... the "straight but not narrow" slogan is great! I've seen it on any number of t-shirts, particularly prevalent during Gay Days in the Greater Orlando Area. PFLAG includes "friends" that's the "F" in the acronym, so anything with their logo is going to show support. Wearing the Mickey rainbow pin is another good way.

However, and please do not interpret this as my pretending to judge your parenting skills... you have done the most critically important thing. You have taught your family that you respect all peoples, and should any member of your family be gay, they will be loved and respected by you. That my dear friend, is the very best and only support that is ever needed. :hug:

Just so we're clear, I am a straight, married woman. I am not young, either. If I ever made any sort of overt advances towards ANYONE they would be laughing too hard to consider violence.

While it is unfortunate that you experienced that encounter, it is short sighted to paint everyone with the same broad brush.

Best of luck to you. In the future I sincerely hope you only get what you deserve. :flower3:

my question - As a hetero family, if we were in WDW around gay days - is there some way we can show our support for the LGBT community being able to express affection with their life partners. Rainbow pins? Colourful t-shirts??

Cafepress.com has a whole selection of different items to show support!

http://shop.cafepress.com/straight-not-narrow

3,460 different bumper stickers, buttons, and shirts to be exact :rotfl:

So being hit on is now being "violated?" Oh, for crying out loud. I'm guessing that if a hot young chick ran through the exact same scene you would STILL be strutting around acting like you were the man. Give me a break.

People can behave inappropriately. It happens every day, whether they're straight or gay. But "violating?" Get a grip. :rolleyes:

Last June my DH and DD (4) and I (DW) went to WDW during Gay Days. (I didn't know what to expect.) I have to agree with an earlier post that being at WDW in June during GD's is much better than a regular trip because Gay men know how to clean up and smell good (I wish my DH would take some tips.) THe three of us were on the monorail with about 10 men who all looked and smelled nice. They were also very funny. I also agree with the post that every day is Gay Days at WDW. I hope everyone has a great trip. We are doing the DCL this year. whoo hoo!

Depends upon the park and the time of day you visit. If you are going to MK for "the day" then expect to be awed. Otherwise, we've always found it to not be crowded at all! Easy to get on the attractions and move throughout the parks.

Greetings All,

Having read the post and the first 13 pages to this post about the family at gay days in Florida I want to say to all that in a modified way this type of thing really does happen. I am choosing to post this on this board due to the fact the audience will keep this in the context it happened in It happened to me 10/05/2008 at California Adventure during Gay Days 2008

If you take out all of the drama in the OP it is what happened to me. Guest sees gay people, guest panics, guest leaves parks dragging kid out of Disney blaming Disney for allowing it to happen.

We were standing at the entrance of the Grisly River Run with some of my friends. We were wearing our red shirts and waiting for others to join us. As we were waiting and others joined us there was hugging, a few pecks on the cheek between men, but nothing inappropriate. As we were there waiting for our friends several children ran past us and into the ride. Shortly thereafter a woman (lets assume it was Mom) came up the path with a stroller with an infant in her arms. She was clearly uncomfortable by our presence. Several others joined us and departed for the ride. Since I did not want to walk the parks in wet shoes I chose to stand by the entrance/exit and wait for my friends.

At this point it is just me and Mom. She is standing away form me in the middle of the walkway as I am now on the only bench in the area. She gives me looks that I have not seen since a playground back in the day. Clearly she wanted to say something to me, but held it in. At this point my cell phone rang. In order to get a better signal I stood up and moved into the walkway. It took a few seconds for me to realize that because I stepped behind her she has spun around to keep an eye on me. She is clutching her child much tighter then before. Thinking I was just being way too critical of the situation I stepped to the right further to see if she would again adjust her position. Needless to say once I realized what she was doing I was shocked with disbelief. Not sure what she thought I would do, and I do not want to even image what was going on in her head.

Shortly her children came off the ride laughing and shouting to her “We are going to go again”. The kids clearly were having a great time and wanted to go back into line immediately. The mother spoke to her children in a tone only a Mother can when she is pissed and sad “We are leaving, I can’t believe they let these people in here”. The kids ask why they had to leave and the Mother grabbed one by the arm and drug her down the path towards the exit with the others following. As they got further down the path the kids were crying and trying to figure what they had done wrong to make them leave the park. They did not understand why they had to leave.

This was just 2 weeks ago!

I’m sure she will tell the story very differently to her friends and will embellish the story to make it more dramatic, but it did happen, and it was amazing that what appeared to be a Southern California local could be so intolerant and flustered. Now that I take a deep breath and think back to this incident I am glad that she left the park and I was the only one who had to deal with her hatred.

Thanks for giving me a safe place to tell my side of the issue to a group of open mined people. Wish us luck in November on defeating proposition 8. Hopefully it will be voted down.

Don

I am truly sorry that you had to experience this type of behavior. I have been married to my DH for well over 21 years and we have a wonderful DS13. Our son does not see race, creed or color and that's the way it should be but unfortunately in today's society it's not.:sad: My father is very anti gay and I remember saying to my him at the time of my DS's birth, what if Michael were to come to you and say Pop Pop, I am gay. What would you do? He said to me than he wouldn't be welcome in my home. I said oh really. Than if Michael is not welcome in your home than neither am I because no matter who my son chooses to be with, I will be behind him 150%. My father just looked at me. We never spoke about the subject again. That to me was a very sad day in my life. I was not raised like that and it floored me.

I wish our DS13 was able to meet my cousin Anthony (may he rest in peace). Unfortunately for Anthony, his father, my uncle did not agree with him being gay or to my uncle "different" and put him through hell. Anthony was a kind, giving, and just a tremendous person to be around. My son could have learned a lot from Anthony so I tell him stories of when we were younger. I want my son to see that just because your life is different or you do different things does not make it wrong. He knows not to judge people until you get to know them first and then you can make your own decision.

Sorry to go off topic.:guilty:

I am truly sorry that you had to experience this type of behavior. I have been married to my DH for well over 21 years and we have a wonderful DS13. Our son does not see race, creed or color and that's the way it should be but unfortunately in today's society it's not.:sad: My father is very anti gay and I remember saying to my him at the time of my DS's birth, what if Michael were to come to you and say Pop Pop, I am gay. What would you do? He said to me than he wouldn't be welcome in my home. I said oh really. Than if Michael is not welcome in your home than neither am I because no matter who my son chooses to be with, I will be behind him 150%. My father just looked at me. We never spoke about the subject again. That to me was a very sad day in my life. I was not raised like that and it floored me.

I wish our DS13 was able to meet my cousin Anthony (may he rest in peace). Unfortunately for Anthony, his father, my uncle did not agree with him being gay or to my uncle "different" and put him through hell. Anthony was a kind, giving, and just a tremendous person to be around. My son could have learned a lot from Anthony so I tell him stories of when we were younger. I want my son to see that just because your life is different or you do different things does not make it wrong. He knows not to judge people until you get to know them first and then you can make your own decision.

Sorry to go off topic.:guilty:

Your story is kinda bitter sweet - but at the same time gives me great hope for the future. Thanks for chiming in. :thumbsup2

Your story is kinda bitter sweet - but at the same time gives me great hope for the future. Thanks for chiming in. :thumbsup2

I agree it is bitter sweet. I don't often get a chance to speak about my cousin Anthony and when I do I run with it. I too have hope that things will change for the future. All we can do is hope.

Thanks for the suggestion. We went to WDW during Gay Days last June and we were VERY happy at the lack of lines or short wait times. We did FP as many things as possible but we found the lines to be very short. Most kids are still in school or have just gotten out of school (a week or two) so most families are not traveling yet. I will probably only go during this week in the future (I teach so my vacation days are set for me) due to the lack of people. Don't get me wrong...there were lines but I am guessing they got much worse a week later.

DH with Mystic Force AKA Pink Power Ranger
100_0203.jpg

I'm so sad we won't be in WDW for Gaydays for my kid's first trip to the world. I was raised in a household where things similar to what SFBayDon had to endure might have transpired. I can speak in the positive though, in that despite being raised to feel a lot of negativity towards LGBT, I'm the president of my lawschool's allies and advocates chapter. This year, a couple of us got to visit Don's hometown for LavenderLaw, which was awesome.

I'm glad Disney supports and actively accepts all people, both as guests and as CMs (and CM partners!). I think gaydays is not only a fantastic opportunity for people to enjoy the parks, but a chance for people who may be a bit "on the fence" about accepting GLBT folks to see the normalcy and exceptional friendliness that I believe is a hallmark of the community.

I hope that those of you who have had (and continue to have) really cruddy experiences with narrowminded people will keep me in mind when you think of the future. Not only was I raised in dislike but grown up to be an active supporter, but I'm having a measure of success in turning the lights on for my folks.

We were in DL last year during Gay Days and found it to be a very family friendly. It was a complete coincidence that we wore our "Incredibles" red T shirts that day- but I was glad we did!:cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter